Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Recording on a Panasonic

Options
  • 02-12-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if in right place for this query but here goes .. I have a 42VT20 panasonic and it has an option to use a HDD USB to record direct from TV. I was looking as some HDD USB units and some come with 'plug and play' facility while others have their own independent power supply. The TV instructions would also seem to suggest that the HDD USB should have its own independent power supply. Just wondering would it make a difference? Would the 'plug and play' option work equally well as a unit with it owns independent supply or would I be better off with the latter?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you need a separate PSU.
    USB sockets can only reliably power low performance HDD, or else the socket can supply more than the USB 2.0 spec.

This is why many drives come with a Y USB cable to get more than 500mA. In the case of the TV the 2nd connector needs a USB socket +5V PSU. But usually there is a jack socket for power too.

"plug and play" is marketing nonsense when applied to USB HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭creedp

watty wrote: »
    you need a separate PSU.
    USB sockets can only reliably power low performance HDD, or else the socket can supply more than the USB 2.0 spec.

This is why many drives come with a Y USB cable to get more than 500mA. In the case of the TV the 2nd connector needs a USB socket +5V PSU. But usually there is a jack socket for power too.

"plug and play" is marketing nonsense when applied to USB HDD.

Thanks for that and the shop experts make it all so plausible. I will get a separately powered unit even if it means another plug and lead. My other half hates cable/leads hanging around but there you are .. needs must!

Shop Experts?

Most Retail assistants are paid the same as Tesco Checkout. If they were expert would they not have a better paid job?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭buggane

I use a Buffalo HDD plug and play no problems at all!

Oh forgot to say I have the GT30 (but I think its the same spec broadly as the VT). Incidentally I thought on the VT you could also record to the SD card (a function the GT does not have)?

The Buffalo HDD I use is 500 GB mini station and I believe that Panasonic reccommended Buffalo HDDs for use with their TVs although my local dealers says other (cheaper) HDDs also work adequately (being unadventurous I stuck with the Pany advice).

As indicated no problems, recording as good as the original, no glitches, failed record etc - works well!

Cheers

• Advertisement

buggane wrote: »
    Oh forgot to say I have the GT30 (but I think its the same spec broadly as the VT). Incidentally I thought on the VT you could also record to the SD card (a function the GT does not have)?

The Buffalo HDD I use is 500 GB mini station and I believe that Panasonic reccommended Buffalo HDDs for use with their TVs although my local dealers says other (cheaper) HDDs also work adequately (being unadventurous I stuck with the Pany advice).

As indicated no problems, recording as good as the original, no glitches, failed record etc - works well!

Cheers

I went ahead and bought a Core 1T HDD and connected to TV. There was no problem registering it and formatting with the TV. I was able to direct record and use the live TV feature. However, after a couple of days I tried the direct record feature again and I got a prompt "HDD Error". I went into the HDD menu option and even though the HDD drive was listed I couldn't get it to work. After a couple of failed attempts I reformatted the HDD and it was listed below the original format... again it worked for a couple of days and then back to "HDD Error" prompt. Does anyone know what is causing this? I checked the very limited instructions in the manual and I couldn't see any reference to a particular brand of HDD which is why I went along and got the the Core as it was on special offer.

I didn't realise you could 'time record' but the fact that you can't record one programme and watch another or time it to record a programme with TV on standby is a real limitation for this feature in my view.

Anyway its all irrelvant at this point because the real limiting factor is the fact that it doesn't work!! All help appreciated

Cheers

I went ahead and bought a Core 1T HDD and connected to TV. There was no problem registering it and formatting with the TV. I was able to direct record and use the live TV feature. However, after a couple of days I tried the direct record feature again and I got a prompt "HDD Error". I went into the HDD menu option and even though the HDD drive was listed I couldn't get it to work. After a couple of failed attempts I reformatted the HDD and it was listed below the original format... again it worked for a couple of days and then back to "HDD Error" prompt. Does anyone know what is causing this? I checked the very limited instructions in the manual and I couldn't see any reference to a particular brand of HDD which is why I went along and got the Core as it was on special offer.

I didn't realise you could 'time record' but the fact that you can't record one programme and watch another or time it to record a programme with TV on standby is a real limitation for this feature in my view.

Anyway its all irrelevant at this point because the real limiting factor is the fact that it doesn't work!! All help appreciated

As I indicated in the earlier post I use a Buffalo Ministation 500 HDD I read somewhere (I think it was TRUSTED REVIEWS) that Panasonic reccommended this type and other makes had config problems.

It's the compact model (no seperate power) just usb connect.

Incidentally my TV supplier insisted this was not the case and most HDDs would work - however I stuck with the original info and (touch wood) no problems at all with the Buffalo.

By the way I have read somewhere that larger capacity HDDS (1Tb upwards) can have problems - again don't know if this is an old wives tale!

I have two Buffalos now - also one on my Spiderbox and no problems with either - although a previous HDD (forget the make now) just would not work with the Spider.

I appreciate there's limitations on the Pany for recording to HDD and watching another channel but really if your going for kit like this generally you can hook something in (in my case a Spider and a Skybox) so the issue of recording from the inset Freesat or Freeview tuner is not a problem

Anyway good luck!

As I indicated in the earlier post I use a Buffalo Ministation 500 HDD I read somewhere (I think it was TRUSTED REVIEWS) that Panasonic reccommended this type and other makes had config problems.

It's the compact model (no seperate power) just usb connect.

Incidentally my TV supplier insisted this was not the case and most HDDs would work - however I stuck with the original info and (touch wood) no problems at all with the Buffalo.

By the way I have read somewhere that larger capacity HDDS (1Tb upwards) can have problems - again don't know if this is an old wives tale!

I have two Buffalos now - also one on my Spiderbox and no problems with either - although a previous HDD (forget the make now) just would not work with the Spider.

I appreciate there's limitations on the Pany for recording to HDD and watching another channel but really if your going for kit like this generally you can hook something in (in my case a Spider and a Skybox) so the issue of recording from the inset Freesat or Freeview tuner is not a problem

Anyway good luck!

Thanks for information. Im not very up to-date on this stuff and as the instruction manual didn't refer to a specific brand and the guy in Maplins was of the view that any HDD would work then I went ahead with the Core. Of course subsequently when I queried this with another guy in the same store he looked at me strangely and said HDD's are designed to be used only with PC's and I must be the only person who uses them with a TV. I must say I was pretty gobsmacked by this revelation (cos Im certaintly not someone who could be described as an inovator or an early adopter!!) and left him be but I must go back and clarify this again with the inhouse experts.

Its kind of bizarre that a TV manufacturer can effectively tie you to one brand of HDD - can't imagine a PC manufacturer getting way with that one!

Bizarre limitations are common with Panasonic.
    Many TVs only play USB sticks and HDDs and don't record at all, though it's only a lack of software. Likely because of the problem of not being able to change channel while recording and greater compatibility issues (FAT vs FAT32 vs NTFS vs EXT2 vs EXT3) when recording.

• Advertisement

creedp wrote: »
    Thanks for information. Im not very up to-date on this stuff and as the instruction manual didn't refer to a specific brand and the guy in Maplins was of the view that any HDD would work then I went ahead with the Core. Of course subsequently when I queried this with another guy in the same store he looked at me strangely and said HDD's are designed to be used only with PC's and I must be the only person who uses them with a TV. I must say I was pretty gobsmacked by this revelation (cos Im certaintly not someone who could be described as an inovator or an early adopter!!) and left him be but I must go back and clarify this again with the inhouse experts.

Its kind of bizarre that a TV manufacturer can effectively tie you to one brand of HDD - can't imagine a PC manufacturer getting way with that one!

Hi,

I think your best trying a Buffalo I had a trawl back through TRUSTED REVIEWS and found this:

"One last trick to do with the P46VT20’s connections is the ability to record from the HD tuners to USB storage devices. Or to be more precise, Buffalo JustStore HD-EU2-UK USB storage devices. We’re sincerely hoping Panasonic broadens its compatibility ‘church’ where USB recording devices are concerned if the recording feature persists through the brand’s 2011 range (kicking off in March)."

Now I know this refers to the earlier '20' series but I kept it in mind when I got the GT30 and as I said previously everything has been ok.

Often shops (and staff) are not the best for techno advice.

Having said that I use a firm (local) with a long track record and the owner was insistent that the newer models would not have any proprietary restriction on the HDD - notwithstanding this I took no chances and given your problem it seems that was right.

Incidentally its not to say that other HDDs will not work with the '30' series but it could be hit and miss.

By the way I note other comments about formatting etc and I went down this road with the other HDD I had (which at that time I was trying to use with a Technmate 6900 sat reciever) still had problems.

With the Buffalo it was 'plug and play' on both my Panasonic GT30 TV and the Spiderbox - and as mentioned earlier usb connection only - no seperate power lead needed.

Anyway good luck and if you fancy trying a Buffalo I think prices are fairly keen now on amazon.

Hi,

dont want to bore you to death on this but here's another quote identifying this Panasonic TV problem with HDD storage record/playback - again its TRUSTED REVIEWS and both the quotes are from Jan/Feb 2011:

"Other signs of the L37V20B’s premium status find it allowing you to record video - including HD video - from the built-in tuners to USB hard disk drives. So long, that is, as the HDD is one of Buffalo’s JustStore models - a rather limiting approach to recording that looks particularly curious when considered against Samsung’s much more open TV recording system."

Trouble with Panasonic is they make an excellent TV (although I did toy with the idea of switching to Samsung this time) but they are crap at customer support and they have these annoying quirks.

Cheers

Hi,

dont want to bore you to death on this but here's another quote identifying this Panasonic TV problem with HDD storage record/playback - again its TRUSTED REVIEWS and both the quotes are from Jan/Feb 2011:

"Other signs of the L37V20B’s premium status find it allowing you to record video - including HD video - from the built-in tuners to USB hard disk drives. So long, that is, as the HDD is one of Buffalo’s JustStore models - a rather limiting approach to recording that looks particularly curious when considered against Samsung’s much more open TV recording system."

Trouble with Panasonic is they make an excellent TV (although I did toy with the idea of switching to Samsung this time) but they are crap at customer support and they have these annoying quirks.

Cheers

Thanks buggane for the detaield info on this and I think you got me persuaded that if I intend to pursue this HDD recording option I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a Buffalo one. Last night I reformatted the Core one again and then recorded a couple of programmes - one using the one touch option and the second one using the timed option from the guide. Both worked fine and played back after. Interesting to see will it work again this pm or will it go down again!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Video Players and Recorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

This is an old thread but I figured better to bump it than create a new one.

I was just looking at TVs online and saw one of those Pansonics that can record to a USB hard drive.

Will it record anything that is on the screen like gameplay from an xBox, BBC iPlayer streaming from an iPad, etc.

I tried to find more info on Google but not getting what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

This is an old thread but I figured better to bump it than create a new one.

I was just looking at TVs online and saw one of those Pansonics that can record to a USB hard drive.

Will it record anything that is on the screen like gameplay from an xBox, BBC iPlayer streaming from an iPad, etc.

I tried to find more info on Google but not getting what I need.

They record from the TV tuner only.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

andy1249 wrote: »
    They record from the TV tuner only.

Thank you.

Advertisement