Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I can't unsee the suggestion that more are more people are drinking Champagne while fewer are drinking red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Playing with the idea of buying 6 bottles of wine from this list as a Christmas gift for my parents (the wine of the year + white wine of the year + 4 of the other winners) - is it a safe enough route as a gift? I like the idea that they're all award winning wines. Any reason not to pick this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,220 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think its a great idea and safe enough as a gift. I was half toying with a similar idea myself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭snowgal

Me too,, can’t go wrong if you know a wine drinker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭mrm

This offer is still on, if you can find stock.

Castlebar SV never seemed to stock/ restock the shelf but the price label remains on the shelf. But found some in SV Claremorris today. I nabbed 6 bottles. A few auld ladies spotted me, asked me about it and and took a few (left back whatever they had in hand when they saw the price reduction of this). Maybe some left but also may be worth asking in store if they have any more stock. Opened a bottle tonight, for research purposes...damn fine wine! Great value at €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Caquas

Surprisingly, wine consumption per adult in Ireland fell in 2021 by 14% from 3.26 litres to 2.8 litres. But there was no change in the consumption breakdown between white (47%), red (45%) and rose (7%) last year.

There was a COVID lockdown effect i.e. we drank more wine during lockdown with wine sales in 2020 rising by 12% to over 10 million cases. But last year's decline brings wine sales back below the pre-COVID level.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Our alcohol consumption, generally, is on a downward trend since 2000.

Although, if you were to listen to anti alcohol zealots, you might imagine the opposite!

Make it Big - Californian Pinot Noir.

One of those wines, you're surprised by the end of the dinner how much of the bottle has diseappeared...

A quaffable, juicy Pinot Noir. Perfect to pair with overcooked turkey :)

€15 from indies such as Grapevine Glasnevin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Two bottles of D'Arenberg Dead Arm for Christmas day and St Stephens Day ready for launch. It's pricy but goddammit it's good.

A Kopke 10 tawny for desert.

• Advertisement

Haven't had The Dead Arm in years!

Absolutely loved it at the time. As good as it was 15 odd years ago??

I don't know! Fifteen years ago I would have been disgusted to be offered wine if there was beer available.

Only had one previous bottle, and that was last year.

Last night... I used to drink mainly LBV if I bought port, but a factor in switching to tawny is that it keeps for several weeks.

I much rather tawney, seems less sweet and more complex to me.

I didn't know there was a difference in its once open shelf life.

I can't help suspecting that the idea that port/sherry/vermouth spoiling once opened is overstated - particularly for the average palate.

It's not that LBVs suddenly become undrinkable after a couple of weeks, they just gradually lose vibrancy and just aren't very pleasant. I gather there are quicker deteriorating older ports but I've bought LBVs mainly.

If a tawny lasts an extra few weeks compared to an LBV in a fridge that's enough to take the pressure off us in terms of drinking it while its at its best.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

This went down a treat - they're making their way through them the last week or so and all good reviews. I thought there might be some bottles in there that weren't to their taste, but all good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Supervalue is not a place I generally visit too frequently, but called there on Friday to avail of Three Swallows for €30. Browsed their wines and saw a very intriguing looking bottle of a wine called 200 gallons Reserva from Portugal. Never heard of it, but was quite taken with the blurb so bought a bottle for €10, allegedly reduced from €15 I think. Opened tonight and am really enjoying, very rich, silky opulent cherry, went down a treat with steak. Will be going back for a few more bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I had a Ferreria Dawn Antonia tawny port opened about three and a half years ago and sprayed with Argon hiding in the back of my press which i reopened at Christmas and it tasted amazing. Love that argon spray stuff though its hard to get...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Any good Zin knocking around? Theres none in OBriens at the moment, which is crazy.

2020 can be tricky for California with smoke taint.

You could try Italian primitivo with is supposed to be same grape

https://thegrapevinedublin.ie/products/pasqua-primitivo-desire-lush-zin

• Advertisement

LIDL Vino Nobile de Montepulciano 2018, very nice Italian, not too much oak.

Think it was about €10-€12. If you see any bottles knocking around in the LIDL special bins, worth a try.

I'm very late to this but I'd suggest trying De Loach zinfandel. It's available in many of the indie off licences around the place... McHughs, Sweeney's, Clontarf Wines, Fallon & Byrne etc.

Lately I'm still drinking a lot of Australian shiraz, shiraz viognier, cabernet shiraz, cabernet sauvignon etc.

I like d'Arenberg Dead Arm if I'm full of money, and I have a bottle of that I'm saving for some special weekend, but in the meantime d'Arenberg The Footbolt is becoming a favourite... 15 euros in SuperValu, 3-4 euros cheaper than I've seen it in smaller off licences.

Splurged on a bottle of Cloudy Bay Te Koko for the missus for mothers' day. The ultimate safe purchase for her, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭limnam

Not sure if this one has come up before.

It's often on the 20% off in Dunnes and comes in at that time at 11.20 and at that price it's an absolute bargain imo

Some really nice very well balanced fruit. Can be hard to find in some Dunnes when it's at the 20% off so I guess the secret is out somewhere

In this heavy weather I enjoy a slightly chilled red.

An ordinary red 'plonk' from Bordeaux or Alicante Bouschet work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Now that there is a slight cooling in the weather I have gone back to drinking this Cote du Rhones Villages.

"A red made from 70% Grenache and 30% Syrah, aged for 12 months in barrel. This is a velvety-textured wine, with lively notes of peppery spice enlivening the core elements of black cherry, plum and liquorice. A fresh wine with a long finish and silky tannins."

https://www.thewinebuff.com/les-mas-des-flauzieres-seguret

It's quite normal to serve red slightly chilled in Portugal, Greece of course... When you're sitting at a patio table and someone serves you something that's not from a fridge it really stands out as soupy.

In Ireland we don't have the 30-40 degree summer heat, but I think serving it cool, if not cold, makes sense on a hot day. I'd do this even with a decent red.

Drank all Greek wine the past few weeks. They have some nice varietals (Malagousia for one) but it's hard to say Greek wine is on a par with, say, Italy or Portugal. It was a bit hit and miss.

But of a cork issue with this one.

Very nice, all the same.

‘Quona’ Chianti Rùfina Riserva 2018

I had forgotten to drop the wine fridge by a few degrees so had this warmer than I would have liked.

Fairly big Chianti at 15% which is unexpected as in the glass it's almost translucent.

Big rich mouthfeel and the alcohol is fairly hidden on the taste and finish.

Lots of very balanced winter fruits. In fact. I'm sorry I didn't keep it for a colder month.

20% off italy in curious wines at the moment so comes in still a bit saucy just over 27e

I picked up a nice organic Bordeaux in the Dunnes organic wine sale - alas seems to finish today :(

GRAND VIN DE BORDEAUX CHÂTEAU ROC DE VILLEPREUX

Reduced from €11 to €8.50.

I was a bit worried when I first opened it, didn't get any 'nose', just a faint hint of vanilla. But after an hour or so it came to life, and even nicer the next day.

It is 14.5% so a small glass goes a long way. Good with food or on its own.

Well worth picking up again if similar offer or during their 20% off deals.

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/product/grand-vin-de-bordeaux-chteau-roc-de-villepreux-75cl-100887887

• Advertisement

Advertisement