Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddie Jones’ swift Australia return could come back to bite England

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Seems remarkably harsh on Rennie. Australia have been on an upswing, and their results have been pretty good given the breadth of injuries they've had.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Can you put someone you've sacked on gardening leave? I mean if he left of his own volition, then they'd be fully within their rights to do so, but it wasn't Jones choice to leave.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You can offer them a golden parachute with a non-compete clause I suppose

This is all absolutely great. Terrific entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Jones is a horrible obnoxious arrogant twat, I hope he fails miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's no incentive to a man who knows he can walk straight into another job though.

The only thing the RFU really did wrong here was not sacking him a year ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Often this gets negotiated at the start of the contract. In a section that governs paying compensation if firing someone there would be a clause on non compete. Bigger non compete would usually mean a higher compensation when firing someone.

I note that Farrell had a non compete when leaving the rfu. He worked as a consultant for Munster while waiting for a non compete to expire to take on the Irish role.

That said the RFU already had to pay close to a million pound (according to media reports) between firing Jones and Assistants and buying out Borthwick and assistants contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

with the media coverage of Jones and his behaviour in the days before his sacking, maybe there was a thought that no one would hire him again so soon, at least not before the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I doubt the Australians have much issue with Jones's behaviour, most of them probably approve and think "good on 'em".

England have enough time to adapt systems to nullify any inside knowledge Jones had, although it probably means the 6N is a right-off for them as they adapt. Most of the knowledge he has on players would have been gained through scouting and analysis anyway, I'm sure he'll know how to wind up certain guys and will be licking his lips at the prospects of exploiting that.

Whatever advantages he has against England will likely be cancelled out by the England players motivation to get one over on him. They will be wise to all his tricks too so he loses one of his trump cards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

He’s a World Cup winner so not sure he gives a F* ** what u think of him

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭nice bit of green

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Getting rid of Jones cost the RFU a fortune. Getting a non compete would top up that cost and generally if your dismissed then those clauses typically laps.

He may not have had one as when he was last renewed it was to be his last contract with the RFU and as such they may not have anticipated circumstances where he left with such a short window to the RWC.

He's lost numerous coaches over the last few years, all of which cost the RFU along with the fact that they've paid off Leicester for Borthwick.

RFU likely could do very little about the situation, this has put a big hole in their finances.

I think he means his "technical advisor" role under Jake White with the Springboks in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Coaching staff with SA in 07

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭nice bit of green

Ah ok, had no idea. Glencarraig’s point still stands tho. EJ needs to drop the horrible runt routine. And that’s runt with an r just in case others may think something else.

Gavin Mairs (Chief rugby correspondent for the Telegraph) is reporting today that the Aussies first sounded out Eddie Jones about a role with them around 14 months ago, and that he met with them on at least 2 other occasions including during last summer's England tour to Australia.

I wonder is there any part of him that deliberately ratcheted up the controversy and squad disharmony in the hopes of getting the sack and a payout, and waltzing into a role with the Aussies?

I did think it was unusual when he started publicly criticising aspects of the English game in the months up to and during the November internationals.

He said that was specifically about 2024. Him being controversial and underperforming as a coach would make Australia less interested in him so I doubt it.

Unless it was all one massive conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I wouldn't be surprised, because Eddie Jones no 1 priority was always Eddie Jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Harsh on Rennie. They gave us and France tough outings this past autumn.

I think Jones will do well with Oz. They are turning the corner and he could get a lot out of them.

I really don't think so. The Aussies know exactly what he's like, and it's less of an issue for them it would appear.

Obviously he's said it was about 2024, but he would have to, he was under contract at the time so would be opening himself up to legal issues to say anything else.

It's fairly well documented how he considers himself this sort of master schemer / manipulator, so it wouldn't shock me at all.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Well...........I'm devastated that the obnoxious twat doesn't give a f**k about me.............lol😁😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Hope he does well, we needed a 'pantomime villain' in the six nations and he fitted the bill perfectly... Going to Oz it's just taking the villain global.

Advertisement