Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I didn’t know that, it was a few games he was accused of dodging though, right?

Wouldn’t really make sense for him to want to miss a big game like that, even with the lead.

Poor form if he did but I doubt we’d ever find out for certain. Would United have been in any position where they’d have needed him there? It would be their medical staff making the call, wouldn’t it?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Keane missed the away Iran game through injury which was played on November 15th.

He was fit enough to play for united on November 17th when they beat Leicester at home 2-0.

They went into that international break on the back of a 3-1 defeat at Liverpool which might give some perspective into Keane/Fergies thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Thats just my recollection without googling, I remember even before saipan there was talk about him missing that match, Fergusan was no help imv

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I’m going to make, what on this woke forum, would be considered a most sexist comment because you should forgive that accent as she, without a shadow of a doubt, is the most beautiful woman on Irish TV or radio (in my opinion). She is absolutely stunning. Sexist but true. The girl is photo-****-genic.

On a side note, OTB content was been absolutely outstanding recently. Most of the social justice stuff is gone unless relevant, Joe is on top of his game and Ger is also really good. Great guests (Anthony Moyles, Gerry Thornley), loads of content all day every day. They are kicking **** arse.

They’ve even had some of the women with strong accents tone it down a bit. Fiona Hayes and Niamh Briggs have stopped breathing into the microphone like an asthmatic Darth Vader and the accents have flattened out for a far easier listen. They are good pundits too.

The paper review has also stuck to the sport mostly and most of the discussed stories are really interesting. This is a high point for OTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

David Connolly has some weird takes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

Where's Kevin Kilbane these days?,used to be everywhere for a while.

Canada, living and working there for Canadian tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Was more distracted by that Cliona Foley one, Christ she is a pain in the hole to listen to. Rates herself extremely highly but has absolutely nothing of value to add. Constantly interrupts with some titbit of shite and as for that repetitive cackling laugh at one of her own attempts of wit or if one of the others makes a passing comment. She is by far the worst contributor and most painful to listen to.

It was eye opening that between a gaa correspondent, a gaa player, and two sports anchors no one seemed to realise that teams go back to 15 vs 15 in extra time despite red cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Yeah was surprised at that, James o donoghue adamant Armagh would be starting ET with 13. They had ample time to be told by an awful lot more of the NT team also.

• Advertisement

whatever about thinking it would 14 vs 14 which I could understand as the situation was reasonably unique but to think it would be 13 vs 14 was a bit poor.

i wonder did they follow up with a correction on later updates

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭deise man

Joe molloy has zero interest in GAA. During covid he said he didn't want the championship to go ahead. He went mental when the GAA questioned Ronan glynn about gaa activities speading covid. During this years league he was on about a dublin player getting a ball in his own 22. He was also the possible relegation of dublin on a sunday would be influenced by how the kildare match would work out. Kildare had actually played the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What's the issue of the has no interest in GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,723 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really enjoy the Sunday Paper Review every week - but christ, I struggle a bit when Timmy McCarthy is on. He seems a decent fella and all - but he keeps saying "in that sense" over and over and over. Once you hear it, you can't un-hear it. Like, he'll use it every second sentence, almost always unnecessarily. Drives me nuts at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Johnny Ward is painful to listen to. He is way too casual and doesn't seem to be prepared.

delete

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Clever

Bit of a dilemma in Wimbledon for the woke baes of Off the Ball - cheer for Novak or Nick in the final?

Wimbledon will finish after the women's final tomorrow for OTB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Tuned in yesterday and I hear Ann Marie Donelon and an Arthur O'Dea. How did these two get a gig on a national radio station?

Ann Marie wrote off Galway for the All Ireland saying yesterday was the real final.

Arthur then just says "yeahh" in a real low tone and talks really slow and has nothing interesting to say at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Ann-Marie Donelan is very poor. She rambles on without saying anything original or interesting and it feels like she's just repeating talking points she read/heard elsewhere. The constant use of the 'like' word crutch is very annoying and amateurish. And that's leaving the nasal accent aside!

I know they want a better mix as it has been male dominated but surely there are better options.

• Advertisement

Had to laugh at Richie McCormacks takeaway that Collins’ taking the Irish transfer record is proof that Irish players are undervalued historically. How the fcuk you get to that conclusion I don’t know, any air went out of the argument when he listed off the previous biggest fees paid for Irish players and all but duffer were flops or uninspired at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was some guff in fairness. Bizarre level of bias from him

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

I was listening to k Brian Ó Driscoll the other night, he really is a brilliant rugby pundit

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Does any mod want to explain why this thread had loads of deleted posts, and now the posts have suddenly reappeared?

There was never an answer from mods or admin on the "where did the off the ball thread go?" in the summer. One mod tried to answer questions but gave up. The mod wasnt a radio mod though.

The post I am replying to could not be found when I went looking for it. This is very strange.

Richie and ger have great power!!!!

Missed the show tonight.

Did OTB take the same line on the Vera Paw story like they did the time with the unfounded Cora Staunton led allegations about the Mayo ladies football manager.

In other words did they try and hound Vera out of the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭Xander10

It's available to listen on playback if you are really that curious.

When in the show was it on, I don't have the patience to listen for 3 full hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I listened to the first hour of the show last night for the first time in a very long time, and thought it was heading that way. The lads all doing the 'she has questions to answer' schpiel. She may do, but not to you guys, and if you start at her about it, she may toddle off and not bother. Hopefully the FAI nip this before they get a chance to make any kind of deal out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭deise man

The sound on the rugby commentary for the last 2 weekends was terrible. Sounded like Dave Mcintyre was in a tin shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Richie predictably taking the contrarian view last night that this World Cup was rubbish. Joe was stunned. Though to be fair i would agree with Richie's assertion that for the first 80 minutes it was a poor final.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Advertisement