Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PreCocious

Patrick's Quay suffered from a total lack of shelter, no amenities and the desire of mummies and daddies to park in the bus bay when waiting for the bus, which led to the buses taking up a traffic lane.

One of the comments was about people being attacked if/when moving between buses (how many people connect into/out of these services ?) . What do people think will happen when the bus gets to its destination - these people who are fearful of their lives in Cork are suddenly in the middle of Dublin (or landing in some other city) and happy as Larry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You're right - it's pretty crap - but there's no co-ordinated replacement... At all ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Danger of falling into the river ? How exactly it’s a mostly closed off quay or at least it is up where the buses park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cantalach

I presume Frostybrew was referring to the low railings that scream, “why stand waiting when you can sit on me?”

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

There's a lot of that kind of stuff. Seems we don't really have any scope in development here for really landmark buildings. Anything unusual has the planners and objectors in a frenzy. Cork would also want to be a little careful that it doesn't just get a load of bland because it's not a super-prime location, being a relatively smaller city, and it will be about 'any development' rather than 'interesting development'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DylanQuestion

How? It was heavily publicised in newspapers and online when the public consultation was open (July 14th 2020 to September 11th 2020). The webpage for the consultation explicitly says coach parking would be moving and it's clearly visible in all of the drawings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well, the intial plan was for all the buses to go to Alfred street , fine , then it was pointed out there aren't enough bus bays at Alfred street - and there were objections from residents over there about noise from the night buses - , and issues over street lighting -

So the next plan ( from a couple of weeks ago) was to split the buses up - which won't suit connections ...

And remember the time frame for the work STARTING was between late 21 and sometime in 2023...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

I used to be afraid of falling in the river on patricks quay years ago when the no 12 used to stop there!On another note 3rd tower crane gone up in blackpool on cfield site.

I'm not saying you're fully wrong, but the original drawings show "New Coach Parking" on Anderson Quay and Lower Glanmire Road, with zero mention of Alfred Street (that is mentioned on the website, which says "Relocate some of the existing coach parking facilities to Anderson’s Quay, Lower Glanmire Road and Alfred Street") so it was always known they would be going to the three locations. Maybe the original pre-plan shown to the operators and residents was just Alfred Street, but the official plans published in summer 2020 showed the three new locations. Outside of for disabled users (which I don't think I have seen anyone mention?), I see zero issue with them not being right next to eachother. The Anderson Quay stop is 250m from the Lower Glanmire Road stop (only needing to cross the road once, which is a high quality, 10m crossing. Alfred Street is another 70m from the Lower Glanmire Road stop (or 300m if you go straight from Anderson Quay to Alfred Street, with one crossing), connected by a big plaza and one small pedestrian crossing. It's not like people are being asked to walk from the top of Patrick Street to Western Road or something. If onward connections are so important for these businesses (something I have never heard of, but I know little about it so I could be completely wrong), I'm sure they can work out scheduling to allow for appropriate time for people to walk the 70m-300m (i.e. Bean & Leaf on Grand Parade to the GPO, or the length of MacCurtain St)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Frostybrew

There were large gaps in those railings. A three year old boy went through them and fell into the Lee back in 2016. He fell five metres as the tide was out. Thankfully he was saved by a passerby and the emergency services. The railings have been made safer since that incident, but still not ideal.

The Andersons quay being too far from connections argument doesn't hold water. The bus station is directly across the road with services to all parts of the country, and is now much more accessible and closer than when West Cork Connect was stopping on Patrick's Quay.

I have a feeling the real reason the owner of WCC is kicking up such a stink over the move, is due to problems with anti social behaviour on Andersons Quay; which may have a greater impact on patronage than issues with connecting services. It's something they can't admit publicly as the issues are rightly or wrongly related to the homeless shelter, and the vulnerable people who use the shelter's services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, living on Patrick's Quay so very interested in this argument.

The current location is probably very convenient for passengers; arriving right in the city centre, and it's good to have safety in numbers - while violent crime isn't a huge issue it is an issue (I've been attacked late at night walking along that quay). Having the bus stops there has probably made the quay safer for residents too.

But yeah, there are problems. The paths are too narrow and it results in lots of people walking on the street (or crossing the street between buses!) to get around them. No facilities or shelter. Too many buses for the location (I've seen up to 16 at a time on the quay, some double-parked). Add on those parking and waiting (because of lack of shelter) before dropping off, and you get some horrible traffic problems.

If everything could be accommodated between Patrick's bridge and Michael Collins' bridge it'd be better than moving just some of them to Alfred St. But I think better again would be to use some of the land on Horgan's Quay for a large shared stop with facilities, ideally with a free, frequent shuttle bus to & from Patrick St / Merchant's Quay. Plenty space on Horgan's Quay for parking, waiting and any facilities, still very central, and right next to the train station for connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

More tenants for Penrose Dock - Flynn seems to be putting his money where his mouth is on renewables

Examiner also reporting that ABP require further modification of the plans for 220 bed student apartments at Top Car Garage/Victoria Cross (not online).

More progress on Prism site courtesy of Cork Crane Count

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Mav11

The cast iron pillars to be retained and exposed, were these inside the building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Indeed. I have vague memories of these, from when I was dragged in there as a child by my mother.

Isn't that image of the Queen's Old Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

S'funny - the earlier image was tagged as the Munster Arcade, though I've found another version of the first image tagged as QOC in 1948

Let's try again...

• Advertisement

Both are equally vaguely memorable. Mother must have had me in and out of both shops quite a bit.😁😁

Similar styling alright. Never saw it when it was anything like the above, before my time (I hope!)

I know the interior of the Jack and Jones shop - which I believe is also being incorporated - is very nice and I assume that's being retained too.

Cork City Council is set to spend millions buying the Port of Cork’s city-centre quays to help facilitate one of the largest docklands regeneration schemes in Europe.

The local authority and the commercial semi-State company have reached an “agreement in principle” that will see the council acquiring around 1.5km of quayside along the city's north and south docks following the relocation of the port company’s city centre operations to its expanded facilities downstream at Ringaskiddy.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/cork-city-council-signs-multi-million-euro-deal-to-buy-port-of-cork_arid-40880273.html

Going back to planners with request for changes

However, an application has now been made seeking permission to make some changes to the development, including the omission of the rooftop restaurant, bar waiting area, kitchen, store, toilets and services areas to be replaced by 10 additional long-stay suites.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40882877.html

From the front of the Irish Times this morning are plans for the development of LDA sites around the city:

Kilbarry: 1500 homes Q3 2026

South Docks: 800 - 1000 homes Q2 2026

Tivoli: 2500 homes Q4 2026

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Only going to planning stages in 2026, so no housing until 2030 at the earliest? I cannot fathom this as they have aquired most of, if not all the lands. The pace is just mind-blowing tvh.

I know, but you'd have to wonder even if they had planning now could they get them built before then, with all the shortages of labour and materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Anyone know whats happening with the St Kevin's Asylum site the LDA own?

They got planning for that over a year ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Site works I believe. Going to full construction by the end of the year. To be fair on the other three sites, the LDA are building all over the country and it’s going to take them time to ramp up. In the mean time the Housing for All incentives for private developers simply have to work. With Apple, Facebook and Pharma all expanding in and around the city over the next few years the market is going to be absolute carnage in Cork.

Advertisement