Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

It's a solid brass valve that screws into your oil drain instead of the nut.

It has a strong spring loaded lever that has to be pushed up and to the side to release. No chance of accidentally coming loose.

Flip open, wait for oil to drain, flip closed. Job done.

This is it in the open position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Ah right. I can see the appeal but wouldn’t be for me.

My latest car has a plastic sump with no drain bung, what a stupid fûcking idea that is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

@wandererz

Give us a look at the car please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I did something not to my car, but for working on it. Been looking out for a cheap stand/tripod to hold my work light at a height. Plus, I've been looking for a bit of steel tube to extent the handle of my jack as it's very short for reaching in under the diff jacking point. Spotted a clothes rack in Lidl for €15 and an opportunity to kill two birds, with one clothes rack:)

It's worked out better than expected and lots of handy tubing left over too. I got mine in East Wall but they didn't have them in other branches I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it ok to put 205/55/16 wheels on a car that has 195/65/15 on it at the moment?

• Advertisement

Fire one on the front and have a good check. It's a slightly taller and wider but with a slightly lower profile tyre.

Turn it to full lock in both directions.

Here ya go. All shined up, just in time for todays rain.

81,087 km

New Brembo pads.

Painted calipers.

New Saab wheel badges.

New Vredestein 225/45/17's on the front.

Dash needed some cleaning.

As good as new now.

Wife's response to the pictures of my handiwork projected on the TV:

"Is that MY car? No.... It isn't!!"

Light APC solution on the dash & steering wheel. Followed by McGuires Ultimate Interior Detailer.

Post edited by wandererz on

Leather on the seats needed a bit of attention.

After:

Ran out of light. Will do the fabric tomorrow.

Used CarPro Interior (leather & interior) cleaner on the leather.

Will do another pass tomorrow and then finish off with some GTechniq Leather Sealant.

• Advertisement

She looks spotless, fair play. They're fairly rare these days, unfortunately.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks.

81,000 km / 50,000 miles.

Probably the lowest milage one in Ireland. Certainly for its age.

Heated seats, tiptronic, flappy paddle gears.

Drives like a dream.

I only use Liqui Moly oil and Ceratec engine lubricant. So hopefully it keeps going.

Only problems have been regular headlamp bulb changes. The left side blew yesterday simply because I looked at it! Other than that, broken engine mount, broken spring and seized Caliper.

One previous owner who lived in D4 and traded it in at Audi Ballsbridge at 8,000km.

Rear seats looked like they had never been sat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭v240gltse

@wandererz. well done on keeping a nice looking Saab going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

It's been flat out...

Last week was Mrs Pigeons 520d. It sprang an irritating leak and with the temp going bananas at times I got a new stat (and housing) along with this sh*tty coolant pipe (€25 from BMW)

It's a manifold off job to remove said pipe

The pipe had split internally and wouldn't be copped from the outside. Manifold was easy to remove. Cleaning it out wasn't

As some of you may know I used to set fire to the manifolds to clean them properly. Couldn't do that so well here!

New coolant and all back together, the car is much quieter and easier on weasels

Moving to Saturday, decided to start at the back of the E34 and work my way to the front, planning for the jacking points. Had to have a rethink when I scrubbed the boot!

During this it pissed rain on me, so decided to have a look at a friends Passat that was wouldn't start. I'd been at it before, testing the fuel pump, checking lines etc (drove in after a return line sh*t itself and never started again). I then decided to try the cheap solution; fuel filter. Could have kicked myself, the old filter may as well have been made of lead. Fired right up

Cleared any codes it had and after a short drive the remaining faults went away (power steering etc)

Have more planned over the next few weeks, focusing on the E34 mainly as it has an upcoming event next year. Have a clutch change planned for the Volvo too, complete with solid flywheel and D5 gearbox (if you ask nicely I'll tell you what clutch I've bought to get this all to work!) and I may exchange the turbo for my own homebrew setup if I have the time...

It's been absolute Bedlhem in my pal's workshop, I've been helping out there for nearly two weeks now trying to squeeze my yoke in.

Tomorrow morning it's going into the paint booth and I'm hoping to bring it back down to my own place on Saturday morning.

It looks like it's gonna end up being both doors, both rear quarters and the rear bumper getting sprayed now.

Finally sprayed. Back to my place in the morning and straight back up onto axle stands so I can scrub all the crap off the bottom of it.

The Lude life...

Some engine bay detailing.

Before

After

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Cleaning an engine bay is always so satisfying

Finally got the car back to my spot this afternoon. I spent ages scrubbing the rear to get all crap off that had built up while it was in the panel beaters.

I've a few new holes to drill tomorrow to get the side skirts back on and then I'm heading off for a long overdue spin, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That will be some spin. I'd say you will be grinning from ear to ear after being down for so long and the sun will be shining too.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed anyway. I have to go easy on it for a few hundred miles to let the clutch and the belts break in properly.

It's home, I'm heading off for a good spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭passatman86

Well done @Titzon Toast looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

VAG with error code and check engine light for differential pressure. Reset error, drive around 300km up and down M1 waiting for light to come again and it did. While driving I was monitoring DPF with phone app VAG DPF and ODB dongle. The phone app was showing no differential pressure change, and a second phone app, ODB 11 app also said no change. Car was low mileage so I presumed DPF was ok

Watched loads of YouTube videos and read forums. Visually inspected the hoses and checked the part numbers.

I decided to order an aftermarket sensor from local motor factors who got it same day. Went to fit it and electrical connector was different. Who knew an 04L906051 is different connector than 04L906051G. Panicked as old sensor was off, rang VW and paid 100 versus 60 for sensor but it fitted and was in stock straight away. Performed relearning reset to say sensor was replaced and 400km later light has not come back on.

Fault fixed, I hope. When I asked dealer do they often go wrong, he hesitated and said well we do sell them...

Clutch change over the weekend! Wasn't much fun

Not many photos to depict the pain in the arse job that is the Volvo P2 clutch change. Thank goodness this wasn't AWD

It's actually very straightforward in terms of what you have to do, just everything is awkward

The main issue is the subframe needs to be out. The engine sits exclusively on the subframe. There isn't much room on top to hang a bar/pole to hold the engine...

But I got there, a few hours later

Now just to further annoy me, I had planned on using this very exquisite clutch. However, I'd got sent the wrong one! Just too much lateral play, I had visions of the splines being ripped to shreds while the car shook itself to death trying to take off. It's meant for an Evo 10 I think, which isn't what I bought

Pity. It was going to take some power through it....

Shoved in the solid flywheel and clutch (850R clutch for my 21 spline box). The box itself is very easy to remove, using 2 different sizes of bolt which are obvious. No alignment tool and it shot straight in, one take. New borg and beck concentric slave too (primed before it went in)

In the process of reassembling one of the subframe collars went missing... So I got hold of one from a Santa Fe, pressed it to match the Volvo collar and reamed the centre out with a file. This cost me another hour!

The subframe didn't want to line up with the car. The engine didn't want to line up with the subframe. The engine on subframe didn't want to line up with the mounts. The rack didn't want to twist the right way. The clips holding the various hoses are inaccessible. The brackets to be bolted down are very hard to access. The driveshaft snap ring didn't want to let the shaft seat in properly. Everything was just miserable!

Still, I got it done, the next day (7am Sunday start). Changed the balljoionts while I was at it too as one was floppy. Had visions of shoving in another silencer, that went out the window very fast with the time gobbled up already! Just one mishap to sort, copped a strange collar near the pedals, turns out the steering column bearing popped out leaving the steering very notchy (see here) which I'll sort some evening (just need to pull it off completely and reseat the bearing)

The clutch and magic goop I put in the gearbox have completely transformed the way the car drives mind you, for the better! Clutch is so nice now and the gears so slick. Apart from bedding the clutch in and enjoying the car, I have to keep the next plans under the radar for the moment!

You have an outside ramp???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

I see a few comments about bedding in a clutch. If you use a new pressure plate and your fly wheel doesn’t look like a vinyl record there should be no reason to bed one in.

Once it releases fully and doesn’t slip it’s a done deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Not so much today as yesterday. New engine mounts for the festy, old ones had a good amount of movement in them.

The amount that has to come out to get at the gearbox one is a pain, I also took the opportunity to adjust the gear linkage while everything was out of the way, which seems to have sorted the car randomly popping out of second shifting down after I fitted a short shifter.

Took it for a spin yesterday and felt solid all round.

Advertisement