Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yep. He will surely try to throw Usyk about and get him off balance, using that to get shots off, take a warning or two from the ref. Lots of holding. That will make him less hittable but at some point Usyk is bound to tag him too and how he copes with a clean hit will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Usyk seems to always get underrated on here for some reason. Best boxer on the planet imo will knock Joshua out in the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This result no way a surprise. But any result here may not be a surprise. I re-watched fight 1. Usyk put in a serious graft, but still plenty close and competitive action throughout. And for me, AJ can surely change a bit more to make this return a more difficult challenge for Usyk. AJ was very tame in fight 1

the real beauty here is that it truly is a make or break fight for AJ. Another defeat (and if it’s a KO loss) would blow the hype train into kingdom come

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think he is overrated as a heavy weight ,

Yes he is an absolute fantastic boxer but i still think a "top tier " heavy weight should still be stoppoing him ,

I reckon Fury, Wilder stop him

I'd love to see him v Ruiz actually,

Usyk is a joy to watch. That last fight was a clinic and it had everything including bravery.

I think it was round 9 where he got bloodied around the eye and I thought Joshua was going to kick on and dominate the closing stages. The opposite happened and he completely gassed. Joshua won;t ever have the legs to play chess with Usyk for 12 rounds. He needs to get mean, aggressive and let his power tell.

During the last fight the commentators were calling for him to jab the chest just to hit something. Good advice for me. Chest, arms, throw him around the ring and bully him. Don’t box, you wont win that.

• Advertisement

Whatever abut how this plays out, they need to start fooking fighting some a these lads.....joke the amount of inactivity from them

Prime Tyson would have had 2-3 fights by the last time these tools fought.

Even Canelo is a busy man...

You could make an argument that a proper clean Wilder on the money shot could stop anyone...even Fury was on his back for 9-10 seconds

Barring this type result, could Wilder beat Usyk via points? I don't think he can.

Usyk probably wins if it goes to points ye sure i could see that but has been hit by ever single person he has fought including Chisora, Bellew & , AJ,

They all landed on him multiply times if Wilder does he ko's him, He isn't big enough to take the shots & get up like Fury did,

Don't get me wrong Usyk is a fabulous fighter but if he fights a top tier heavy weight who fights him like a heady weight i think he gets stopped,

AJ landed, but never got to land real heavy spiteful shots. That's why I am hoping for a far more aggressive and committed AJ in the return bout.

I agree and he still rocked Usyk a couple of times but never followed up .,

I think the Wilder that fought Fury in the 3rd fight Ko's the rest of the heavy weight division,

Depends what that fight took out of him

• Advertisement

One could also argue that any HW that had Wilder on queer street like Fury did would not have taken 11 rds to finish the job.

Wilder was knackered after 3 rds and anytime he was caught he was all over the place. We said it before, Fury with either more power or better finishing ability/accuracy, would have had Wilder gone around round 5/6

Time shall tell but i think Wilder Ko's the rest of them

Ill be genuinely stunned if Joshua turns it around in the rematch tbh. Thought he actually boxed quite well in the first fight tbh given the challenge that was in front of him.

Recipe for disaster going gun-ho against Usyk though. He's not going to be able to pin him down and I reckon he'll unravel pretty quick once he realizes this before Usyk chins him.

Don't see why Usyk can't do a similar job to what Ortiz did to Wilder but actually see out the job. He does literally everything better than him and won't tire.

Wilder beats any fighter that stands in front of him. Usyk with his movement would be a stylistic nightmare for him I reckon. Usyk has also fought his fair share of big punchers and only been down once from a borderline low blow from Majidov. He's clearly very durable.

I think Usyk would make Wilder look silly honestly. The only heavyweight that I think gives Usyk serious problems is Fury. That's a 50/50 fight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I expect Usyk to be even better in the rematch. Completely prepared for AJ being more aggressive.

People talk like AJ can hit then switch and be aggressive, a stone cold killer approach. I think he's gun shy, he's afraid of being hit, so he will always fight with the handbrake on.

Expect AJ to fight with bravado for 2-3 rounds and to be taken out, he's actually very limited, Usyk is all wrong for him.

Agree with the posters on here, Usyk is a fantastic fighter but should be beatable by top heavyweight fighters

You could be right but in my opinion Usyk like Ortiz will eventually get hit and i think itll be good night,

I dont disagree that Usyk is a better "boxer" but he always gets hit & thats an issue against Wilder

But ye of course u could be right we won't know unless they share a ring

Not gung ho or recklessly aggressive. Spiteful and committed and smart. More physicality and committed aggression without being aggressive for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I don't think he has the ring IQ to do this, physically gifted but doesn't have the smarts.

Inability to adapt during a fight depending on what he's facing is his biggest weakness. The really top guys will take a look at you for couple of rounds and adjust in what they need to do.

This is completely alien to AJ, who fights to a plan and is robotic about it, often looking to his corner for pointers more often than he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Pulev vs Chisora scheduled for 9th July.

I am not sure what the point of this fight is and I certainly hope it is not PPV.

If this is PPV, someone deserves prison time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I agree but it wouldn't surprise me. Pretty much every HW fight is PPV nowadays. Nothing will ever beat Brook vs Fun time Franky though...

That would do dreadfully on PPV not a chance. That’s not even a main event let alone a ppv fight. Did they not already fight?

They fought 6-7 years ago in a fight that many felt Del Boy won.

no way it’s PPV on its own merit. It will be standard.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BK5

Is this the big heavyweight fight of the summer?

Jesus wept! Two never were's

I watched it at the time, Pulev won it by a distance I thought Chisora couldn’t get near him

What does that physicality play out in the ring though? If it's putting his weight on him then I can't see that working as Usyk is a way better clinch fighter and we saw him push A.J around in the last fight.

Can analyse Joshua's tactics all day long but either way he's up against a far superior fighter. He just isn't going to win.

• Advertisement

Daniel Dubois on now. I think it’ll be a short one.

Advertisement