Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Quick question on using final surge. I have the plan I am using on there is it possible to get that to include the pace I should be running automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

EDIT - running nutrition thread more suitable

Took a bit of a break from running for the previous 3 months although I have been doing a bit of cycling although I understand that they are not the same due to cycling being basically zero impact on joints.

Good news is I'm off to the south of Spain for the next 2 weeks so thought I'd use it as an opportunity to get back into running.

What's the best way to get back into it, I really don't want to do couch to 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

What's the best way to get back into it, I really don't want to do couch to 5k?

You could try the base phase from the boards graduates plan

It's mostly easy or very easy running so should be minimal risk in terms of injuries and in six weeks you should be in good shape for tackling a plan for whatever distance takes your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Does anyone have any particular hints or tips for running around hairpin bends/180 degree turns etc

At Raheny on Sunday it felt like i came to a standstill going around that cone in St Anne's park, and a couple of people came past me so i figure they must have been doing it right. I was very tight to the cone so better to approach these turns at a wide angle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I always try to go as wide as possible. Can keep more of your speed up, even if it is the further distance, and less chance of someone cutting in on you and tripping you up. Of course you do have to make sure that you are not then the person cutting in on people and tripping them up. I've been pushed into trees on cross country before with people being stupid about it, so just avoid the inside line on any corner wherever possible.

On big road races I'll always aim for the outside of any early corners, however tight they are, and you'll always get an easier run with an empty road. Tricky bit is then switching sides if needed before the next opposite bend, but far easier to get through the crowds along the straight than deal with getting squashed into the wall and kerbs on the inside line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I honestly don't think there is a perfect answer to this. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts too.. I had to take that 180 very wide myself as my knee doesn't like sharp clockwise turns like that. I find it more natural to hug an anti clockwise turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ease off the pace a little going into the turn, speed up once you hit the apex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

With an ACL reconstruction in my past, that hairpin in Raheny has always terrified me 😰 The fear of tweaking something is always in the back of my mind and I've always done my best Stena Seacat impression when trying to navigate it. This doesn't help of course, but don't worry, you're not alone 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I agree with that. You don’t loose that much time by slowing a bit down. I would even add slow down and take a wider angle just so you have a quicker exit and since most runners will try to go as close to the bend as possible (since they don’t want to add extra meters) it’s usually also more crowded. That then means you can’t really accelerate as stuck behind others. Less risk of that if you go wide.

so:

1. slow down and be ok with dropping 1-2sec max. You will get it back by accelerating faster
    2. go wide to avoid being stuck behind someone
    3. make sure your shoes are tight! If they aren’t you may twist something

• Advertisement

Sorry I never replied to this thread sooner, firstly thanks for the advice, I've been easing myself back into running hopefully I'll keep it up once I return to Ireland, if anyone here is looking for a good travel destination for running and cycling then I highly recommend Altea and its surrounds as there is excellent bike paths and plenty of good off road trails oh and the weather and landscape is nice.

one further question if I may, for a while I've been considering upgrading my headphones, I'm currently using a pair of Jabra 65t's, but the battery is staring to go plus I fancy an upgrade. I'm liking the look of these Sony's

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B095D1HCYG?tag=georiot-es-default-21&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=whathifi-es-6190425626844519000-21&geniuslink=true

They are not marketed as workout earbuds but are IPX4 rated so should be able to standup to water and sweat pretty well, curious if anyone here uses them for running?

I'm looking for a great sounding pair of headphones for running.

This wind and constant rain has ruined me nipples. What's the best way to stop it. Vaseline or plasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Anti chaffing glide I use for a couple of years now. You don’t need much and no matter how cold it is, you have no nipple issues. And the tube lasts. Think I bought mine 3 years ago and still half full and I run a lot!

https://www.therunhub.ie/accessories/anti-chaffing/body-glide-anti-blister-42g/1084/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjc2QBhDgARIsAMc3SqT6gR5levGhlgfnxu-U6zTdZErWDiCnioHz7p1yoqomkR3Y_OIFdzwaAp79EALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

I used some kinesiology tape for a marathon last weekend, worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Vaseline is your only man

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Get some sports tape in the chemists, works for me all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Doesnt that just leave terrible stains on your clothes? Presumed thats why Bodyglide exists - same lubrication but no stains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Lanacane is great stuff

As me Ma used to say, "sure who'd be looking at ye". To rephrase; if the stain on running tops doesn't bother ye. its ye only man. *Also lower back(hydration belt chaffing), neck(Hydration pack chaffing) and inner thigh(trunks chaffing).

I will have to have a look at this body glide you speak of.

One thing I found doesn't work is plasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

It’s great for making educators a nice side earner to, tbf. 3 levels of placebo bollicksology 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Yes, I totally forgot about that aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

I find this to be the best, I've been using it for a few years now and still only on my 2nd roll of it and costs about €1

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TheRef

Could do with some opinions on the following...

I've been quite active for the last year after many years of little to no structured exercise. Started regularly running since late November with goal of running this years Dublin marathon in under 4 hours.

Stretch goal is to do Connamarathon and a half next year.

At the moment I am running 3 x 10km a week and a long run which at the moment is half marathon length (about 2 hours). I do sport on Saturday so all running is Mon-Thur with Fri & Sunday as rest days. I'll soon have Saturdays free so will add another days running there - likely shift longest run to Sat.

As the marathon is still a long way off, I'm focusing on building a base with long slow runs keeping HR in Z2/Z3. Not really doing any speedwork.

My question is about my current long runs. I've been slowly building up the distance and not sure whether I should continue to run longer, maybe getting up to weekly 30km long runs, or if I should stop after 20km.

At what point is it better to limit the distance of the long run? 20km/2 hours? 30km/3 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You'll probably get more detailed response from some of the marathon veterans on here but you shouldn't be running 30k runs all year round, certainly not this early. It's worth building up the long run to maybe 20km a week regularly but you shouldn't be hitting 30k til you're in the marathon specific phase roughly 12 weeks before the marathon itself.

You're doing the right thing trying to build up the mileage and long run sensibly. At some point you'll benefit by adding some weekly speed and tempo work.

The trouble with this stuff is there's a million and one ways to approach base building but for sure, no 30km runs regularly.

All that being said, I mentioned 20km but....the time on feet is what matters so your weekly long run should probably be somewhere between 90 and 120mins. What pace are you running for all your runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TheRef

10km are done at 5:50 pace and 22km are 6:10 pace. The pace I run is always dictated by "conversational effort".

If DCM is your target you might consider working on your speed with a 5K or 10k plan till about May/June, still do the long run, 16 - 21 km. Also use the marathon series as a gauge. Starts with a 5 mile in Tallaght on the 19th June.

Parkruns will help, plenty of Saturday morning fun, great people, and possibly 5k PBs if you pick the right course in the right weather(and free :-)

In 2019 I was in your position with the same goal. The most important decision I made was to follow the DCM mentored plan on boards, the advise and information I got from that was amazing.

Good luck lad,

• Advertisement

To be honest, if your goal is sub4hrs and you are somewhat fit you do not need speed work. All you need is consistency in running. If you currently do 50k a week keep doing that for another month. Then start slowly bringing it up. 55k week in April, 60k in May 70k in June and 80k July til September. Just try to slowly increase time on feet for the long run. You want to be ready to run for 4hrs. I would also suggest running in the mountains. 2-3hrs up and down slowly is a great strength builder.

with regards to speed work I wouldn’t advice against it (1session per week 5-8k effort max) just don’t think it’s needed.

for connemara though I would then perhaps look into a proper training plan as you may then want to run 3:30 or faster. For that a more structure is needed.

for reference: I did my first marathon in 2014. Did 3-4 runs per week max. Nothing longer than 15k and still managed a 3:46. Suffered, didn’t enjoy it but did do a sub 4 (and I wasn’t fit). Hence I believe time on feet for your target is what you need. Oh and joy. You need joy and fun 😁.

Advertisement