Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not just about being able to WFH though.

If you're an SME with an office in Sandyford that serves as your HQ, then you're limited to 2 kinds of employees:

1. People who can/want to WFH
    2. People who can be arsed commuting to Sandyford

At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, there will be a lot of employees voting with their feet and turning down work where you have a long daily commute.

If that company gets some serviced space outside of Cork City, you've got an extra half million potential employees available. Another place in Athlone and you're up to a million.

And all without the overhead of needing to have an official presence in those areas. Literally, "Go here on your first day with your computer and they'll show you how to get connected, then call us".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

We got our first update email this morning (public sector). We had a fair idea what our new arrangements would be from a while back, but we didn't expect them to be implemented until our new building opens in July. Now with restrictions going a lot quicker, I expect the new arrangements will be in place by April.

So, at the moment it is 50% in the office, 50% at home, over the course of a month, and non-accruable month to month. Currently there's a minimum of one day a week in the office, and then you work up the remainder of your 50% as you see fit, in agreement with your team. I think there will be some flexibility there, such as one manager lives in London and had been commuting to the office on Sunday night and then flying home Wednesday night, and WFH on Thursday & Friday. She now wants to work one week on, one week off in the office, so that she only has to commute every two weeks. I think they'll accommodate that.

They are also allowing us to work for 25% of the year in another EU location. So say you wanted to work from Spain for three months, you could do it and the one day a week/50% of your time in the office requirement would be waived, so that's a good thing.

I'm trying to figure out how I work my childcare arrangements with a 50% WFO requirement. Pre-covid we had to sign a document saying that we would not be taking care of children while WFH, but that's all gone out the window now. Nearly everyone I have spoken to with kids that are primary/secondary age have them at home after school. It's only the ones that have pre-school children that have them in childcare for the full day - sensibly enough because you can't work with a 2/3/4 year old around.

I'm hoping that I can go into the office on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning. Then I travel home Wednesday lunchtime, pick up the kids and then WFH for the afternoon, and on Thursday/Friday. That means I only have to pay for after-school childcare two days a week. That's about €500 a month in savings.

I do think that the right to appeal a refusal of request to WFH is a game changer. If your job is clearly suitable to WFH on a hybrid basis, and that hybrid basis is refused by your employer, it will be difficult for them to defend themselves at the WRC. If the request is to fully WFH then I can see employers being in a more solid position, as the whole collaboration/team bonding requirement etc etc would come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think I’d be dusting off the aul cv. I can’t understand these kind of employers- my hunch is it’s a middle management push to justify their positions and make life easier for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

That's up to yourself to ensure you have an ergonomic workplace set up at home.

If you don't have space for this then you will need to go into the office.

That being said I have worked in a quite a few places where the employer couldn't give a toss about your workplace set up and you had to beg for a proper chair in HR.

• Advertisement

The government (despite their bluster) are keen to get people back to offices as it all has a knock on effect on the economy- revenue from commuting tickets, VAT/excise on fuel, office leases (pension funds/construction), coffee shops/retail, hospitality….this is coming from the top in my opinion as there’s lots of vested interests depending on workers in towns and cities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The full is list for turning down a request is:

1. The nature of the work not allowing for the work to be done remotely
    2. Cannot organise work among existing staff
    3. Potential impact on quality
    4. Potential negative impact on performance
    5. Planned structural changes
    6. Burden of additional costs, taking into account the financial and other costs entailed and the financial resources of the employer’s business
    7. Concerns re the protection of business confidentiality or intellectual property rights
    8. Concerns re the suitability of the proposed workspaces on health and safety grounds
    9. Concerns re the suitability of the proposed workspaces on data protection grounds
    10. Concerns re the internet connectivity of proposed remote working location
    11. Inordinate distance between the proposed location and on-site location
    12. If the proposed remote working arrangement conflicts with the of applicable collective agreement
    13. On going or recently concluded formal disciplinary processes

It actually seems sensible enough, surprisingly

As I expected, the ball is completely in the employers court- if they deem the work cannot be done from home that’s all they have to do or say.

So much for all the rubbish they’ll be parroting about “climate change” and “mental health”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

But I imagine if you can appeal on those grounds and you have evidence that wfh is efficient based on your productivity in the last two years then you have a good case with an appeal

I know two guys who were called back into the office for three days a week and from the 31st they will have to return 5 days per week with no option for wfh. All signs and screens have been removed so they can put all the desks back into the open plan office.

My employer is acting more cautious as they're afraid of having more staff out sick (absenteeism has been the lowest since the start of the pandemic).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That does seem fairly reasonable overall, although I'm not quite sure what Item 2 actually means?

Well that's the point isn't it. If you have a good set up at home - like not five people in a flat, good internet connectivity, no issues in the last two years regarding productivity, and are attending the office one or two days a week so that allocation of work can be done by management, then I think there's very little left for an employer to base their refusal on.

Allowed to work abroad 25% if the year in the public sector, that is brilliant, something like that would be a huge incentive for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know what you are saying , but it's hard to see a critical mass in doing that for most companies.

Now , I can absolutely see a scenario where companies with small offices around the country close them and provide access to one of these remote hubs in lieu.

For example if a company is based in Dublin say with 50+ staff , but has offices in Cork or Galway with 10 or less staff and those staff now want to work a few days a week remote, it may make sense for them to shutter that smaller office and take 4/5 desks in a Remote Hub instead to facilitate the staff.

What kind of organisation are they working in ? Some shock to the system I’d say after two years. So inflexible but as I say, I’m not very surprised

We have contractors working in my area (Government Dept) who were taken on during Covid and live all over Ireland and even as far afield as the UAE. I'm not sure if they have wfh written into their contract but I hope it doesn't become an us and them situation when it comes to dealing with hybrid working requests. I personally think one day a week when all the team are in the office and the option to wfh on the other days

I know right? I was quite surprised that they were allowing that, but our CEO isn't Irish so I suspect that had something to do with it. It also means that during school holidays, they could waive the WFO requirement, so that you could drop kids to summer camps which never seem to start before 10am. I think they'll get a lot of interest from people in the private sector who might be paid more but won't have these benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It is an incredible amount of flexibility from their employer, especially given the CS/PS employees resistance to any change that doesn't suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

50% wfh and the flexibility that offers n choosing your days is a good outcome in my opinion.

Working from a laptop in a sunny climate for 3 months a year would be fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That list is terrible. If I think about all of the people I've known who've been working effectively from home, every one of them could be "gotten at" for several of those reasons.

Concerns regarding this and that being valid reasons to refuse remote working - this gives so much scope for an employer. If I was a dinosaur senior manager dead set against WFH, it would take very little effort to come up with a narrative on which to refuse WFH.

Also, inordinate distance between location and the office as a reason for refusal - so people with small commutes are more likely to be granted WFH than those with long commutes. People with long commutes continue to do them or else move closer to the office. Yeah, that'll help with climate change, traffic congestion, family life and the housing crisis.

Yeah, I'm not sure we'll get much flexibility in reality. What they'll say is "your team is in Monday and Tuesday, rest of the time you can choose" which would only be a couple of extra days. That's going to be a pain, because my husband is likely to have the same arrangement where he'll be working hybrid but will be told his days, and it'll be just our luck that we'll be told the same days to be WFO. There will be the usual heart attack commute home to make it on time to pick up from two separate childminders before 6.30. Oh joy.

My thoughts exactly. But I did sense this would be ultimately up to the employers to decide. The rest is just government window dressing to look as if they give a shite about employees (they don’t, all the state cares about is raiding our pay packets at the end of each month)

It's a medium sized finance company (Irish owned).

It remains to be seen what "inordinate" means, and that might depend on the employer. Do they have a lot of hastily arranged meetings with clients that can't be done remotely? Then you living in Kerry and having an office in Dublin might not be a goer. But living in Meath/Kildare might. Does your employer sometimes need you to come in the next day for a team collaboration session? Then WFH from London might not be a goer, but WFH from Kerry might.

It will all depend on how "friendly" the WRC is to the employee. There's lots of scope for interpretation here. And I think a middle manager who says "I cannot possibly allocate work unless everybody is in the office every day" might get short shrift from the WRC. But an employer who says that their employee is working in a flat with five others might reasonably say that they are concerned with confidentiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

It will be interesting to see if different public sector departments implement different WFH guidelines or if they'll try to keep it uniform.

I'm on the Mobility Scheme for other departments in my area and neighbouring areas, just as a bit of an insurance policy (everybody should be on it). If I hear that another department has a better WFH policy I'll certainly be 'unholding' my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

are masks mandatory in work now, not with public ?

In my company they have said that moving (far) away for WFH isn't acceptable without explicit permission to do so.

Basically they say that you need to be "available to come to the office if required" in terms of WFH.

Not a case of "Get here within the hour" but certainly "we need you onsite tomorrow for XYZ"

So in Ireland , most places would meet that criteria , but in other countries you'd obviously be restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Email received today from HR confirming return to office over the next month with hybrid options only upon approval from management so open season for any anti-WFH managers to refuse continuation of WFH. Staff with medical conditions, vulnerable family members and childcare challenges who have been WFH since 2020 have nothing guaranteed now and not happy with the email today

Then in some contrast another employer in a similar industry today confirmed voluntary return to the office until the end of March which will be reviewed that month depending on the covid situation and emphasised no staff WFH should be under any obligation to return in the short term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The stated plan for our company last August/September was a hybrid model - 4 days at home, 1 day in the office, but not in a hard and fast way. If someone needed to do 5 days one week and 2 or 3 the next, no issue.

Exceptions for people to be fully WFH are based on manager approval, but most are eager for it to continue.

Within six months we'll only have enough office space for about a third of the company anyway, and they're not planning on doing much about it, so the policy is more about keeping people out of the office than forcing them in. The aim will be getting the whole company together every 6-8 weeks, but outside of that we have no need to all be geographically together.

No particular bars on working abroad - we have a number of employees all over the place - though obviously it still needs to be flagged & approved.

I expect the rules for us will evolve over time as the legal situation does.

Advertisement