Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork developments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cool - good to know things are moving ( but at what cost ) ..

I always thought black ash should be a transport hub as well as a park and ride , ( so bike parking as well as car parking , a way for any coaches on the south link to pick up and drop off , and any local buses stopping as well ...

Which would suit high density schemes like CMP one , .

Post edited by Markcheese on

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Cheers for the list. Great to see something's happening on the residential side, even if it's just smaller numbers for now. A lot more to come hopefully with the bigger developments: Horgan's Quay (~300), CMP site (706), Marina Quarter (~1,100), Tedcastles site (2,350), and the OCP proposal (160 to start but up to 2,000 in total)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

They will help alleviate demand but a good chunk of the list are build to rent (Horgans Quay) or social housing (St Kevins & Lancaster Gate) and anything that comes up for private sale will be €350k+ so not exactly fantastic news especially when any new apt will most likely be €1600-2000 per month to rent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And drive up the base cost of each apartment if they ever get built...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think Lancaster Gate is affordable not social but ya I get your point. Not much being done for the middle of the market, especially in apartments.

The Camden Quay hotel is set to open in Autumn 2023 so should be starting construction very soon. I know people hate new hotels but unlike Dublin we still have a shortage, only two opened in the city in the last 10 years I think and I like this design

https://3ddesignbureau.com/news/194-bed-hotel-in-plans-at-corks-camden-quay/

• Advertisement

At the moment councils are driving up costs by block buying "for sale" developments.

Any increase in stock will loosen demands on the purchase market

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

It's the AHB's rather than the Councils that are bulk buying at the moment but point still stands. You'd wonder is the balance out of kilter at the moment with too much social housing and not enough private for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It is a disaster as we have a long long track record in this country of building houses and then failing to put in place the transport and social infrastructure to support it. I moved into my house in 2005 when new road infrastructure and new schools to support the population were promised. 17 years later the roads haven't been completed and the schools are "progressing" while the existing schools are at bursting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Not having new roads and schools isn't a reason to stop building houses. Builders/Developers can help the housing crisis by building houses. Government need to step up with the second part.

This is how you end up with a new Knocknaheeny or school runs blocking roads. It's bad planning. That road cannot be realigned either once it gets surrounded by housing estates

• Advertisement

"We need to build more houses to tackle the housing crisis, except this particular proposal which I have objections to"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

crying nimby at someone wanting proper infrastructure in place before a development gets the go-ahead. amazing

A chunk of the sale price of those houses includes the planning fees and council contribution fees the developer has to pay, these are meant to go upgrading infrastructure outside the site, this is a scam on house buyers if the councils just take the cash and never actually do the works.

The real question is "Why aren't Cork City council doing more road and public transport upgrade works to free up large scale development sites to help alleviate the housing crisis?"

And also "Where the hell is Cork's light rail system or that Monard new town that they have been shiteing on about for decades?"

I don't live near there but I know that road well. It's not capable of having the city expand to it. White's cross will be a Cork suburb within a decade and allowing development on its roads, in current configuration, is lunacy.

Needs to be wider and straighter to handle increased bus requirements. Needs cycle lanes.

Yes, schools need to be built. So infrastructure for that is required.

I'm against hodgepodge developments which lead to issues the moment people move in.

Christ, look at the state of Upper Glanmire 5 minutes up the road (it at least has a primary school)

So is the suggestion that we should stop housing development till we upgrade country roads?

Have a look at what happened in Glanmire behind the AIB to see how roads can easily be upgraded during development.

Have a look at the enrolment numbers in Mayfield Com and surrounding schools if you're worried about schools (hint: it's the most undersubscribed school in the country).

We need houses, badly, in this country. It's the number one issue that affects everyone. I love a cycle path but lets get real here, young people haven't a hope of buying houses at the moment, there's more homeless families than ever before.

Or we just stop planning on unsuitable country roads and use landbanks far more suitable.

What we really need is apartments in the cities and removing the blockers to that, because uncontrolled sprawl is never an answer. One just has to look at the mess they made of Dublin. A city choked by traffic and having to spend billions to ram public transport options through residential areas.

It's also a prime example of how to ruin a city, for bikes. Rapid expansion into surrounding villages down old country roads barely wide enough for 2 cars and they slap a bike lane down the middle of lanes.

Having lived in Dublin, for years, and seeing Cork make the exact same mistakes is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A housing crisis is no reason to do away with sensible planning and development.

It seems that we never learn from the mistakes of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Public projects (roads, railway lines/stops, bridges, overpasses etc.) always have long planning and lead times, relative to property development. They really NEED to be started in advance, not simply building the residences and letting the occupants hope/pray the projects may complete 5/10/20 years in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Has anyone heard any updates on the the affordable housing development on Boherboy Road? Latest update I can find is an article from last month.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/zero-affordable-purchase-homes-set-to-be-delivered-by-government-by-end-of-2021-41172783.html

“In the first phase of the Boherboy Road scheme in Co Cork, nine affordable purchase homes will be delivered early next year.

These will be a mix of two- and three-bedroom properties, with the two-bedroom homes costing €218,000 and three-bedroom homes costing €243,000.”

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Help to Buy should just be called Help the Developer. Was bit of genius vote buying by FG when all it did was subsidise developers. The money ultimately flows to the person selling property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

What roadworks are happening on south Douglas road from the 7th of February that are going to take 21 weeks? Saw a sign up on a pole today

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wonderful. The current jams around there are due to bad sequencing of the lights on the other side of the flyover which are on timed sequence not sensor driven sequence.

The city council have gotten into a fierce habit of putting in complex signal controlled junctions powered by sensors only for the sensors to stop functioning correctly and the junctions becoming sub optimal. It’s a pity because with the level of infrastructure in place they could really optimise traffic flows

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DylanQuestion

Those lights on the other side of the flyover would have been County Council ones. Not sure if that makes a difference. Since they're all City Council now, hopefully they will all line up right. The junction at the Douglas Road badly needs some work done too. Like you said, it is timer based rather than sensor based, so every road gets an equal chance. I think River Walk should be given the lowest priority, and the focus should be on R610 movements. The junction with East Douglas Street is awkward too, although I'm not sure how they would fix that without adding more lights or removing access to the street somehow (maybe no left from the R610 except buses? The City Council are planning similar in the city centre with Summerhill North -> MacCurtain Street, I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Great that they are addressing it but it's a very poor design. Allowing the access road for Willow Park, the Gaelscoil, the Tramore Valley Park and Tramore Athletic to cross the N40 exit slip road is going to impact heavily on the N40 exit slip road, reducing throughput considerable. There is no need for this - there was plenty of space to move this access road and allow the N40 exit slip road flow straight to the South Douglas Road Junction. Now it will require an additional set of traffic lights on the slip road causing traffic to back up. And the success of the overall scheme will absolutely depend on them sorting out the traffic dlflows through the junction on the other side of the flyover, which is the cause of most of the delays at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's not just about traffic flow, safety of all road and footpath users needs to be the main consideration. Though I agree its a piss poor design, most issues brought up in consultation were ignored.

Doesn't seem like fantastic value for money at €294k each, anyone know if they had to buy the site?

Built on the former grounds of Farranferris College, the estate includes 68 three-bed houses, eight two-bed houses, and 10 three-bed bungalows.

Built by developers Citidwell, at a cost per home of €294,000, the homes were funded through a combination of private finance from the Housing Finance Agency and a loan from the Department of Housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Apogee

The ever excellent @CorkCraneCount reporting cranes up at both Carrigrohane and Nth Main St student apartment sites:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The closure of the portion of footpath to facilitate the student housing development is most frustrating. Coupled with the area that is still cordoned off due to the unstable building further up the street...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

I'll take it if it puts life into NMS, walking down it yesterday, the potential is clear if there is some due attention given to the existing buildings and if the council had some kind of decent standard for shopfronts. Standard colours/glazing/fonts would be a start!

Advertisement