Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

john Paul Hegarty of cork computers gets 7 years prison for raping his sister

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

7 fukcing years !!

I hope he rots away.

Such courage by that lady, I hope shes treated like a hero by all those around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And the parents who allowed that to happen, right front of their eyes, get off free?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

The accused told Det Sgt John O’Connell: “I never forced her. I never raped her, as in forcing someone. I never forced her. I swear on my life I never had sex with her. It kills me when I think of what happened. I have apologised to her. I did a certain amount but I didn’t finger her or have sex with her… She’s making me out to be really bad.”

According to the RTE article it appears he completely denies it, but this gives the impression he admits something happened.

I must inhabit a different planet than everyone else, only 7 years for those crimes, how is that justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Garda should check his records seriously - perverts like that dont stop only when 18 yo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Only 7 years for rape is **** disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In this country yes he was charged with a sample of assaults ,and found not guilty of one assault.

Some of the historical abusers found guilty in Rotherham had similar sentences for worse offending

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So the purpose of the thread is so name and shame the convicted criminal? Why else does his workplace need to be mentioned in the headline?

This reminds me of the first time I had noticed the local name and shame section in an Irish rural newspaper which listed names, addresses and offences, including the amounts that had to be paid into alms box or whatever…weird, weird tradition…

I agree with previous posters that there is a good chance there could have been other victims over the years, but I am sure police looked into the possibility already. I imagine it’d be difficult for an opportunist to resists another chance if they got away with such actions for such a long time. Hopefully it was just this one victim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Name and shame yes damn right , that's why his sister waived anonymity so he could be named. Hopefully his business and anything else he ever touches turns to crap aswell.

FFS. Why would you blame the parents? They didn't know.

The injured party even thanked her mother for her support, and you would try to blame innocent people....

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Are you saying a convicted rapist shouldn’t be named and shamed now?

There is a clear pattern of sympathy towards rapists and sexual abusers from you. This is the third thread now where you have felt they have been wronged in some way, shape or form.

I assume because the victim mentioned being referred to as the „worst child“ by her mother; and as having wanted to tell the parents why she was that way.

Parents miss a lot of things but somehow I don’t think you’d assume one of your children was abusing another without prompting.

Where did I claim that?

I just find it absolutely peculiar that name, address and even workplace are mentioned in a news report. I have never come across this practice in any other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

And why is that a bad thing?

The good news for offenders here is that their sentences - if they get any time at all - are usually a fraction of what they would get elsewhere. You don't see too many folks in the USA walking around with 100 convictions.

Name, age, address is very common because they have to clearly identify who the person is and leave no room for any possibility of defaming someone else with a similar name.

Imagine your name is John Paul Hegarty from Cork and you have people wondering why you’re not in prison for raping your sister, despite the fact this isn’t you? How would you feel?

41-year-old John Paul Hegarty whose address is Castleview, Little Island, Co Cork makes it very clear which John Paul Hegarty they’re talking about, and the business makes it even clearer.

Of course, you think it’s a little over the top despite the fact if they didn’t then they’d be sued from every John Paul Hegarty of defamation.

Like I said, you think it’s a bit harsh to do everything that they are required by law to do.

It’s a bad thing because the poor little rapist might be identified

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Why would he be well known around here?

Poster? Party Political flunky? Or some sort of right wing provocateur?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not necessarily true ,

Your literally saying any child was sexual assaulted in the home the parents somehow allowed it ,

Abusers are manipulators and girls are very good as concealing things and most who start showing behavior issues is put down to hormones or boy trouble

Maybe there are other counties that name full names and addresses, but I have seriously never noticed this, and I am finding this really strange. You usually get abbreviated names, but nothing like this?

As stated in my first post on thread I first came across this in a rural newspaper and the list of accusations and penances read like a public flogging that the Catholic Church would have been proud of.

Anyway, I guess this discussion doesn’t add a lot to the thread.

Any court report that names anyone charged or on trial in Ireland will have names, ages and addresses.

This has been a thing for many, many years and I struggle to believe you're only noticing it now.

• Advertisement

I told you that I noticed it before in a bogger newspaper, so I don’t know why you are making it out that I just noticed it. But you seem more interested in attacking me than discussing the case, which probably says a lot about you than me. Why don’t you join the rest of us and discuss the actual case?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

This is Ireland, where law and order is a joke. He'll only do 5 years with time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

How do the guards go about getting proof in these circumstances?

I mean this ended when she was 12...she's now 35...that is a long time since it happened so I'm curious to no what evidence could they have to prove this happened? apparently he's denying it.

In these cases where it basically a he says she says situation how do they prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

🙄

Yeah, sure Mrs OBumble, suppose you were there to see that all too, otherwise, just talking shite again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The victim of this man waived her right to anonymity partially so that he could be named. If it so happens that he attacked other young women over the years but they never knew his name they might see this picture and come forward to the Gardai.

Im confused here as to why you think that this man should enjoy a right to privacy? On what grounds do you claim that?

And they need his name, address and workplace to remember the face? No, they don’t. It’s nothing but a public shaming exercise, and I simply stated that I personally have not come across this in foreign news, but that it might more common.

Either way this debate is derailing the actual case which is a pity.

Only family law cases are heard “in camera” (in private). Criminal trials are a matter of “public interest”. With very good reason. In order for justice to be done then it must be “seen to be done”.

Defendents found guilty in a court of law are liable to be named fully including their picture in the press and across the media. Once you’ve committed a crime and been found guilty in court then you’ve lost your right to privacy. It doesn’t matter if you were found guilty of stealing a lipstick from Boots or mass murder.

Its not just what you charmingly describe as “bogger” newspapers. It’s all of them. All over the country. Almost since the invention of the printing press. Two things are mystifying me here.

1. how this appears to be an astonishing revelation to you
    2. what grounds you have to object.

How the actual **** would you think that? I

No parent thinks that one of their children is raping another one of their children! Jesus Christ. This must be one of the worst things that a parent could ever go through, and you want to blame the poor innocent parent? What the **** is wrong with you?

How often have you seen this practiced outside Ireland then? I don’t mean the full name, but I mean also address and the workplace mentioned? To me this is bizarre.

• Advertisement

Come on. You are stating that you’ve never heard of Larry Murphy? The Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe? Joe O Reilly? Charles Manson? Adrian Baley? Christopher Watts?

Advertisement