Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tractor safety 2021+

Options
  • 13-01-2022 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

hi sorry if already referenced. I seen a clip from 1960s saying not to pull anything heavy from above the tractor axle..so in mycase I've a cattle tractor quick hitch with an option to attach a chain ..but not sure where it SHOUD be attaching it too. attached is a pic where I typically attach it too..is that too high?

as the draw bar is being used (for actual trailir)where should I attach it too?..it's a cattle trailer... thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Your supposed to connect to to the lower hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

True that, but modern hitches have a eye for attaching a chain, the old MF does not. Perhaps a big D link through the last pin hole for the swinging draw bar?

I believe the regulation is to attach it as low as possible, if the bottom toplink pin is as low as you can attach it, then having a chain attached there should see you on the right side of the law. What sort of trailer is it? I don't see trailer brakes on the tractor so I assume its a small enough one, if its a jeep trailer with over run brakes then the brake away cable for activating the trailer brakes would be the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is a reason Harry Ferguson's three-point linkage became ubiquitous. It's not safe to tow from above the axle. A heavy tractor and loader pulling a small trailer would probably be alright. A light tractor and a heavy trailer ...... you might find yourself up in the air.

Advertisement