Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

• 09-01-2022 1:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We hear a lot how allowing transgender women compete in woman's competitions will result in biological (cis) women being disadvantaged to the point of destroying women's sport.

Yet, in a a swim meet between Yale, Penn State, and Dartmouth where two transgender athletes competed directly against each other the clear winner was biologically female who identifies as male but hasn't started any hormone treatment yet.

Iszac Henig is transitioning from female to male but apart from having a double mastectomy has not taken any other surgical or hormonal steps yet and is therefore allowed to compete in women's events. Hormonally Henig is still 'female' - her body is no different biologically from any other cis woman's - yet she beat a transgender woman, Lia Thomas, who began HRT in 2019.

The issue of transgender people in sport need to be discussed and all factors considered -but it does seem that the warning of the death of "women's (ie cis women only) sport" are premature.

Threadbanned:

PaoloGotti 

Jarhead_Tendler

...Ghost...

BruteStock

Dyr

Tipperary animal lover

sonar44

Hamsterchops

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

Dudes rock..

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Should not be allowed as they are biologically men whatever way you want to look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

This will be a big problem in 5-10 years time. There are so many teenagers who are transitioning at the moment; far greater numbers than in the previous decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just merge women and mens races in to one to cut out this bull$hit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Who are?

The races were won by a transgender man who hasn't started hormonal transition yet. How is he biologically male?

• Advertisement

This is classic.

The argument of "advantage" is used by trans activists as a smelly red herring. It's a complete distraction technique. A kind of, "...let's drag everyone down the rabbit hole of genetics and biology and hormones and end up with a big meaningless linguistic mess at the end".

The reality is very much different: trans women should not compete with biological women because they're not biological women. It's a question of biological categories, and not one of advantage.

Even if there was a legal guarantee that trans women would always come last, we are still against biological males competing with biological women as a matter of principle.

Let me reaffirm: advantage has nothing to do with it.

And let's not forget that biological males who identify as women take the place of a biological woman who has trained for years to earn that position. That is grossly unfair, too.

So I would urge people to avoid temptation to debate "advantage", as it ignores the real elephant in the room that biological males who identify as women shouldn't be present in the competition to begin with, even if they were guaranteed to come last.

Ditto with trans men in male sports, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There is a clear advantage if a competitive Male athlete moves to the female event.

Say a 2:09 male runner becomes a woman and completes in female marathon, their time wont drop much from 2:08 if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

So a woman that wants to be a man won a woman's race

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Girls who want boys Who like boys to be girls Who do boys like they're girls Who do girls like they're boys

Always should be someone you really love

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Thanks for that!

I was confused about the whole 'OP' / article.. very confusing these terms..

First I thought it was a bloke masquerading as a female that defeated a bunch of females.. later I thought it was a bloke masquerading as a female that defeated a bunch of males.. then I read your post, and a mere 13 words summed the whole #rambling mess up..

#It takes a lot of brainpower/concentration to get the gist of these; almost 'doublespeak' articles; almost like reading a sentence with multiple negatives eg "I didn't think that I wouldn't be able to not refrain from declining the offer to turn down the offer of the invitation I didn't particularly want to receive in the first place"

I'd say others were confused to; maybe not as confused as me, but confused nonetheless, from reading the OP. And no, I don't know if my sentence example makes any sense at all, but I aint wasting my time trying to find out, and I'd advise others not to try either.. smiley;)face

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m sure this thread will be totally different to all the previous trans threads.

You even know who will be threadbanned.

Well, have fun everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yet a competitive male athletic transitioned and was beaten in two female events.

Not seeing the clear advantage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭standardg60

As far as i can tell, one swimmer, Thomas, was originally a man, and has gone through HRT therapy, while the other, originally female and still regarded as such as she hasn't undergone treatment, only a double mastectomy.

Does that surgery naturally lead to a reduction in oestrogen production anyway though?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭greyday

A man that does 70 seconds competing against a woman that does 65 seconds for that event is not a fair comparison, lets have a top male athlete transition and compete against the top female athletes and see how that goes, that won't suit the narrative though as the man that transitioned would absolutely hammer the women.

When this person fully transitions to be a transgender man, she will get hammered by the male athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think once a top golfer or tennis player comes out as transgender thats when things will get very interesting as these are by far the most lucrative female sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A really shi7 male athlete is still beatable, a moderate, unknown 17 yr old boy is still capable of 100 world record for the 100m.

It has nothing to do with advantage.

Biological males, irrespective of how they identify, should not compete with biological females.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Then women won't win anything....unless they're men pretending to be women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is a man pretending to be a woman in order to beat them at this sport and actually being proud of himself.

Its like me, a grown 110kg man competing in the sports day in primary school and laughing in the kids faces as I stomp them in every event.

Its unbelievable how this person isn't embarrassed of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,780 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i think it will take the likes of an athlete of the gold medal capacity of someone like Usain Bolt, who can run the 200 meters 2.15 seconds faster than the equivalent record on the female side wanting to change gender..

I think females should stand up for themselves and say no…about biological men entering female competition. Indeed visa versa as its taking opportunity away from men too.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭greyday

Many women have and have suffered cancel culture as a result, the sporting bodies seem more interested in current social trends than protecting women in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We live in an society where feminists will tell you that its now okay for men to beat women.🤣

To add to this, briefly, what a bizarre form of argument the OP makes.

The argument seems to be something like, "Trans women are always losing, so that's why we need more of them".

I mean, really?

Katie Taylor or Kellie Harrington would likely hand 17/20 blokes on this whole forum their ass in a boxing match. Likely giving away, on average, over 3 stone to their opponents in the process..

As for the other 3 out of the twenty, they may have some training, so #they'd probably more than hold their own..

#Most likely they would be a lot heavier, so the weight difference would be an unfair advantage.. Out of a bigger pool, in keeping with the same ratio, making it 17,000 out of 20,000 (if there's even that many members of Boards) , then perhaps 829 out of those 17,000 blokes would be in Katie's or Kellie's weight category, and maybe 178 out of that 829 would be young/healthy enough to get in a ring with anybody..

I reckon there's at least 115 blokes on this site that fall within Taylor's and Harrington's weight category that would easily beat them..

Out of those 115, I'd hazard a guess that 90 of them are nobodies that very few people have heard of, and, out of the other twenty five, maybe they have a few provincial or national belts between them; but still, nowhere near as famous as the two female boxers..

TLdr a trained/fit female is going to get the better of an untrained/out of shape bloke in 80%+ of athletic endeavours.. A female secondary school student beating males at a swimming meet is merely a statistical aberration,,, How she would fare on a National level against her fellow male competitors is a far better barometer than beating kids in the same school/town..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A journey man boxer in the same weight class would go through Katie Taylor like a dose of salts and probably due some lasting damage in the process.

I know popular culture has spent the last decade convincing you otherwise but men don't physically compete with women for a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's a bizarre world we live in that this is not understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A transgender man is someone who has transitioned from female to male....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Lia Thomas won the recent 1650yd event by 38 seconds. The story started appearing in mainstream media and attracting attention, and suddenly Lia Thomas starts putting in performances well below their previous bests.

But it is irrelevant whether or nor Lia Thomas is beaten by natal females. The simple fact is that Women's sports categories are segregated by sex due to the inherent advantage that males have over females. Hormones only diminish some of that advantage. Going through male puberty bestows a permanent advantage. Greater lung capacity, heart and frame size, blood oxygenation, etc. The studies for this have been done, and the data is in, and is incontrovertible. No male has any business competing in women's only sports. To argue for allowing any males to participate in women's categories, is to argue for the destruction of women's sports.

Advertisement