Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Guardian tells us that Christmas is saved by "rightwing politicians"

• 02-12-2021 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Seems the EU would like the Late Late Toy Show to confine any references to the "holiday season" and most definitely not "Christmas". Do you consider this to be a good thing or a bad thing?

(Our own Peter Sutherland was also famously vocal about how EU nations should water down their national traditions. Peter, in his role as UN Migration rep, was always anxious to explain that the influx of cheap labour was primarily of benefit to EU communities, and most certainly not to enterprise. He was a true gent, ex-Chairman Goldman Sachs, and so there is absolutely no suggestion he was bought, paid for and lined-up as an Irish peasant for this role. It is blatantly obvious that, oh hang on,... LOL :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have to laugh at the idea that Christmas is saved by rightwing politicians when the true ideal of Christmas is supposedly 'joy on earth and peace to all men' and right wing ideals are so contrary to this in every other facet of how they behave.

Some of the people who went out of their way to stop a lifeboat being put to sea in Hastings, England, because it might end up rescuing people crossing the channel would probably be to the forefront in decrying any suggestion that there may be a change in how Christmas is announced. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

An internal European Commission document advising officials to use inclusive language such as “holiday season” rather than Christmas and avoid terms such as “man-made” has been withdrawn after an outcry ...

never mind right and left, what about right and wrong? Its a silly idea to ban mention of a religious holiday in order to be more inclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nothing wrong with using the word Christmas. Holiday season seems very American.

Think the EU has more important things it should be focusing on, Like Brexit, migrant crises, Poland and its courts, bordering countries like Ukraine and Belarus, energy crises, etc.

Bigger fish to deal with than a right v left argument over Christmas

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Staff guidelines for the European Commission include the Late Late Toy Show? Truly the EU is a monster, it's tentacles extending to every facet of life, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Quite a headline, OP.

That's about all I have to contribute to this nothing story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Once again I made the mistake of actually reading the article and discovered to my complete lack of surprise that the OP has added 2+2 and got 5. The guidelines were for Commission staff when communicating on behalf of the Commission. WTF the Toy Show has to do with it is beyond me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

There's nothing wrong with saying Eid Mubarach to your Muslim friends.

There's nothing wrong with wishing your Jewish friends a happy new year during Rosh Hashanah.

There's nothing wrong with wishing your Christian friends a happy Christmas during the Christmas period.

I don't see the EU issuing orders not to say Eid Mubarach or Rosh Hashanah. It always seems to run in one direction only, and that's the stuff the Daily Mail thrive on; division. It remains to be seen if our overlords in the EU have learned anything from the supposed "rightwing outcry", also known as "people who celebrate Christmas".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wouldn't lay the blame entirely on the EU either

Now Whitehall's woke 'blob' tries to ban Christmas: Ministers are warned using the word in festive jab drive will offend minorities

Ministers had planned a publicity blitz telling students to get tested before returning to their families using the slogan: 'Don't take Covid home for Christmas' – but it was vetoed by Cabinet Office officials.

and its got nothing to do with the Late Late either, but its all part of the same 'progressiveness' where we have a themed toy show the last friday of November, with little if any reference to christmas, in a christian sense, or even in a secular sense these days

We had a phase in work a few years ago where the advice from above was to refer to it as the holiday season rather than Christmas. Literally no one was offended by it being called Christmas, so when even senior managers said holiday season, they'd always make a joke about not being allowed to say Christmas. It eventually died a death after a couple of years and now everyone says Christmas holidays/party/season again.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

As always time will tell.

(I suppose it's part of an 'acceptance phase' whenever a people start explaining to each other that the dilution of their traditions is in fact progress. Still it must be disorientating for children to see parents quietly acquiesce though.) 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

"The EU executive’s volte-face over the guidelines, launched by the commissioner for equality, Helena Dalli..."

This was 1 document put forward by 1 hippy, which was rejected by the EU, and the 1 hippy then went on to withdraw it, apologize, and then explain that it was effectively a PR stunt.

Dont let any of that stop you OP.

Horseshi.t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

"Still it must be disorientating for children to see parents quietly acquiesce though"

Jesus Christ - that's a bit much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Using 'the holidays' is so as not to exclude non-Christians. Be a bit stupid to say happy Christmas to any Jewish, Muslim or Hindu folks.

The right will jump on any aul bandwagon to rile up the inbred. Fox were at it as was Trump, 'save Christmas'. We can call it Christmas all we like. Just nice to included non Christians from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Nothingburger thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

If it was created by white people, it must be destroyed. White man bad!

The great thing about loony progressives, is that they always seem to shoot themselves in the foot if you're patient and just wait long enough. They can't help themselves going too far with their nonsense. Makes for great entertainment. 😆

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The holidays is an American term we see more over here now too. I'm not sure it was done to be more inclusive unless it was the Hallmark card company trying to be inclusive to sell more "Holiday" cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

No it wouldn't be stupid. Some of those people may celebrate Christmas aswell, more so for the cultural aspect then the religious.

I know companies who use 'holidays" specifically to be inclusive.

Some. 'Holidays' covers everyone.

I grew up smothered in Catholic shite. I don't like aspects of life still tipping the hat to the criminal church, Christmas is a holiday. I don't go to mass or think of baby Jesus much during it.

We need to get out from under the religious stuff. Its embarrassing quite frankly.

People can say Christmas if they like. I wouldn't say it to a non- Christian for fear of looking like a complete tool or a redneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

How do you know if someone is a Christian or a non-Christian?

• Advertisement

Best to say 'happy holidays' so, right? Kinda the point.

You think you look like a 'red-neck' for saying happy Christmas. That's very weird, and I'd say a problem only you have. I suggest you tone down your consumption of American media and politics.

And holidays doesn't cover everyone. Some people choose to work over Christmas (shops like spar don't close for example) and so don't have holidays. As such it doesn't cover everyone.

No because it's Christmas, and Christmas doesn't necessarily equal holidays for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

Why won’t you answer the question?

How do you know if someone is a Christian or a non-Christian?

If I said it to a non Christian and they thought I was too ignorant to give a ****, yes.

Its a holiday season. If you are working or not won't change it.

You don't, so I'd advise 'happy holidays' is a better option. Again, that's kinda the point.

I've never met a Hindu or Muslim who was offended by the phrase Happy Christmas. I will continue to use it.

If a Hindu says Happy Diwali to me I say Happy Diwali back to them. Nobody gets offended.

Never claimed it was anything other than being inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

What if you said happy holidays to a Christian over Christmas and they were offended as you have avoided using the word related to their religion. Seems as likely as offending someone who was non Christian by saying happy Christmas.

It might be even more likely as the non Christian most likely will have no strong feelings about it whereas the Christian just might (most won't but some might).

Colleagues based in America wished me happy thanksgiving even though I'm not American and I was working. It was a nice sentiment but Thanksgiving means nothing to me. I didn't find it offensive or think they were ignorant rednecks who thought I should be celebrating an American holiday.

Would you wish a Muslim or a Jew Happy Holidays over Ramadan or Hanukkah if you lived in a country which was historically predominantly Muslim or Israel.

• Advertisement

Is Christmas season not a holiday season? Its about inclusion not fear of upsetting. Happy Christmas to a Jewish person means **** all. Why bother?

Advertisement