Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Ford Kuga 2017/2018 1.5L OR 2.0L?

• 19-10-2021 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10 woofwoof123

Hi all,

Looking to buy a 2017/2018 Ford Kuga diesel. Trying to decide whether to go for the 1.5L or the 2.0L. I'm leaning towards the 2.0L just because I would like to have some power in the car. Anyone have any experiences of either engine size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50,203 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

A work colleague has a 2015 2.0 litre for a few years now and has had no problems with it. I'd have the 2.0 litre over the 1.5 litre just for the extra power alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭ SouthWesterly

Wife has a 2.0

Word of caution. There is a splash guard cover over the ecu as a which is in the wheel arch. Check it's there when buying. Otherwise water gets up into the ecu and corrodes it and the wiring loom.

Thankfully I had a smart mechanic who wasn't afraid to buy used parts and clone the ecu.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Henry Ford III

The base 2.0 diesel isn't very powerful. Around the same as the later 1.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭ SouthWesterly

Wife has the titanium. More power than my superb 1.6L

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woofwoof123

Thanks for all the replies so far. If going with the 2.0L it will be 150ps. I know some 2016 2.0L are 120ps alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭ ratracer

I have the 150ps 2.0 in my Kuga, and have never had a days trouble with it. It’s a 2016.

I had the 1.5 engine in a 2015 Mondeo before that and felt it was very underpowered for the car when trying to overtake. Wouldn’t pick the 1.5 engine at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Henry Ford III

Whatever about the 1.5 TDCI in a heavier Mondeo it's fine in a Focus or Kuga. I should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,866 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm

The 1.5 has a dead spot until about 1500rpm though, I think it’s a pox of an engine for a bigger car. Gearbox has the same ratios as the 2.0 as well.

there’s only 4kg between that and a mondeo.

I’m talking about the old model Kuga, not the current one.

Advertisement