Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland badly needs a new centre-right party - Here's my proposal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Everyone at some level has been affected by one scandal or another perpretrated on us by the 3 government parties at some stage or another, whether the financial crash, cervical cancer,hepatitis ,housing,mica,police corruption, health care failures, protection of drug cartels and the church, expecting people to vote for a party that would give more of the same is just fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Forgetting one crucial thing.

Any such party would be strangled at birth by the media and Irish people hate associating with anything deemed lacking in respectability

We used to worry what the bishops might think of us ,now it's what RTE might think if we turned right

Need a conservative media outlet with a wide footprint first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I think you give RTE too much credit. They don't set the nations tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Another new centre-right party?

Sure why not.

Get FF and FG to merge into one.

Their policies are indistinguishable anyway, and the only thing keeping them apart up to now is the division of fiefdoms and potential ministerial pensions. More to go around if they take it in turns to divvy them out, as they've done for 97 or so of the last hundred years.

A merger would have the huge advantage of moving us to be like the rest of Europe, then, where yes, you might have a centre-right government for a few years, further enriching landlords, big shareholders and big farmers, but at least there'd be a chance of a centre-left government getting in every few years, too, to improve healthcare or education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I would hate to live in a country where those less fortunate or privileged than me - or the OP - somehow need to be punished for existing and get condemned to ghettoes for the next few generations.

JFC, did the 80s teach us nothing?

The proposals here are a paean to a future of massive developer and REIT profits for some, and a hell-on-earth of build-to-rent shoebox apartments for the next few generations. (As such, tying very well into what FG have been providing while in government for the last few years, so not really seeing the need for a "new" centre-right party!)

Not to mention the climate-change denial!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭satguy

With a major vote swing to the left in our last GE, I think most of us are ready for a change. We have had FFG for so long now that, the time has come.

Forget the center-right,, it's time now for the center-left to hold the reins.

It was nice to see the OP wait till his 3rd paragraph to consign council home dwellers to ghettos.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Irish politics who have largely held government over most of our life times being more than favorable towards business, housing developers, agriculture and banking etc.

The idea that in a country where Parliament is made up of 43% of members who are millionaires and extensive holders of property the idea that we need a central right party is quite jaw dropping.

Did I imagine Leo being the face of a push to target people who might be claiming social welfare benefits they aren't entitled to while simultaneously the government go to court to try to ensure Apple don't have to pay the country 13B they owe in tax and a pharmaceutical firm is forgiven in over 1B in tax owed by Revenue?

As I said, Irish Governments have been in thrall of agriculture and business (largely multinational) interests for years, the idea we need a party who will promote even more of this while enforcing class division through access to housing constraints is a very dystopian desire to have for a country.

Climate concern is a real and active problem, instead of comment after comment decrying carbon tax across various threads and the rampant denigration of the Green party for having the audacity to bring about any sort of meaningful change with respect to this, how about we acknowledge the abdication of responsibility of FF and FG with respect to this topic.

I don't think the likes of SF are going to be any great shakes when in power, and you can bet the electorate will hold them to account more rapidly than they have done the established parties but the idea that what the country needs is even further right of FF and FG is mental. It makes sense if you legit don't care about anyone other than yourself and the likely 40 -60 years you have left on the planet but if you have any concept of a more holistic approach to society and the responsibility towards leaving something to work with for future generations, then you can surely see it is not the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

People say fg are right wing. On the rip off housing, yes they are and being mates with big business. Just like ff. But it's also their voters paying in far more than their fair share in taxes and getting nothing back out of the system. It is also many of their younger voters, now screwed by the property crisis, turning their backs on fg...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Larry Donelly was interviewed on a RTE radio program at the weekend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Donnelly, anywho he told the interviewer how he became involved in supporting the republican party in Boston despite coming from a Democratic family and Boston being very Democratic supporting place.

He changed his mind as he grew up and saw the realities of life for a lot of people, met people of color, understood that people do need the support of the state/society.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So set an IrishNews channel similar to GBNews.

Probably be as successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,371 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And on so many metrics this is why trump for in and brexit happened. People voting on stuff to annoy others rather than actually look at the substance of policies which DIRECTLY impact them. Then being heavily impacted by them afterwards. Some would say it's idiotic and I'd agree.

Very true

FG or SF voter, we love Big government

You obviously know little about the UK

Under Borris the tories are spenders, they needed to be to steal so much of the traditional labour vote in the North of England.

Plus Labour has focused so much on the WOKE progressive wing of its party, it has lost a chunk of the white working class

Politics has moved left since 2008 and especially since 2020 , government spending large is the order of the day everywhere

How is it that the word 'conservative' has been smeared so successfully by the left that most normal people have bad connotations to it?

It should be the safest, most steady philosophy around.

I think the Irish people are crying out for a centre-right party but the problem is nobody wants to be the one who leads it. Anyone who sticks their head above the parapet gets decapitated with ridicule. And on the circus goes......

If the UK Tories are hard right then I'm Lawrence of Arabia.

They are New Labour dressed in blue. With the Green agenda put forward by Carrie Boris, they are centrist I would say. UKIP would be the centre-right. BNP would be far-right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im in, something to laugh at!

hahahaha, people are seriously fcuked up, if they think this sh1t would actually work in the real world!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've said this a good few times before, the but absence of any middle-of-the-road conservative party is the best evidence of the absence of a groundswell of support for such policies. If there was a demand, something would emerge to meet it. Of the existing parties would have shifted some policies to capture it.

Certainly, according to the kind of threads and topics in CA and AH, there appears to be a demand, but the longer I use Boards, the more I understand that the CA/AH userbase is in no way an accurate portrayal of the electorate at large.

or is there really a demand for this type of politics, even when our traditional conservative parties have been slowly moving towards more traditional left leaning polices?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The op basically describes Thatcher's Tory party. Irish people as a whole have no appetite for such a party, even the watered down version on them - The PDs - faded into nothingness.

• Advertisement

Which is why a vaguely conservative media outlet with a proper footprint must emerge first

All discourse in media here is from a centre left to far left perspective

Thatcher surely improved the UK economically?

I do not admire her stance on Northern Ireland BTW

again, very untrue, we dont live in china or cuba yea know!

absolutely she did, for a very small percentage of uk citizens, by fcuking over everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Interesting you think 100% social housing estates are "Ghettos" (your words not mine). It is actually you who are disparaging social housing occupants by assuming they would create ghettos!

Massively pro big-business, pro-landlords, a talking shop for the CIF, anti-union, anti-teachers, right leaning on most social issues, Newstalk easily fits the description of 'vaguely conservative'.

This rule of 15% of new developments being reserved for social housing is ideological social engineering.

It assumes those placed in the 15% space need to be civilised by middle class folks which of course tells you all you need to know about the attitudes of the minds who came up with the idea

The problems in council estates are down to lack of policing and lack of management by local authorities, of course nothing will be done about delinquents who cause problems in social housing in New estates either so all that will happen is predominantly private estates will become full of delinquent behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

OP - That party would have my vote....(And if they got that message across they'd get alot more too, people are fed up)

Maybe it should have been a poll post?

A lot of users on the forum, don't grasp the 'Thanks' feature so don't use it..

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement

good comment, but there is an element of truth in their statement, such developments have a tendency to lead to such social dysfunctions, but not always of course, for various different reasons, i.e. providing homes simply isnt enough to try prevent such outcomes, as it is only one part of such critical needs, we regularly forget about the other critical needs required, to prevent these outcomes

Advertisement