Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5/N26/N58 - Castlebar-Bohola / Swinford-Mount Falcon

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I think you may be right, though; but in the short term, at least, I can't see this having any huge benefits, until the whole thing is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Hi guys, I know most of this thread is focused on the N26, but is there any news on the Castlebar-Bohola N5 upgrade?

Here https://www.mayo.ie/national-roads-office/schemes/in-planning/n5-n26-n58 it says "The proposed project will consider the upgrade of the existing N5 from Turlough to Bohola."

Do you think it would be likely to go ahead? And if so, would be right in saying it would be a newly built road running alongside the existing N5?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

I'd say Turlough to Bohola is on ice for now - it wouldn't be seen as particularly urgent because the road is decent already. There are separate projects in the early design phase for N26 Ballina to Foxford and N58 Foxford bypass, but that's it AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I don't think that stretch will get upgraded in the next 25 years at a minimum. Based on traffic numbers I felt there may have been justification to include Castlebar to Ballyvary as part of the Westport to Castlebar project (I think the AADT numbers are actually higher for Ballyvary to Castlebar than for Castlebar to Westport as a lot of the traffic doesn't continue past Castlebar), but it didn't happen so probably won't now as a standalone project. East of Ballyvary, after the turnoff for Ballina, the traffic numbers don't warrant any further upgrade as the current road is of a reasonably decent standard relative to it's usage.

Following the TII allocations last month, here's a quick summary of the 2 parts of this scheme that are currently being funded, the N58 Foxford bypass and N26 Mount Falcon to Foxford. Both were funded for the first time last year.

N58 Foxford bypass: This received 100k in 2022 and 250k this year. This is being progressed as a major project even though it would only be 3km of SC, most likely because the Moy crossing will be expensive. It is not included in the NDP but TII mentioned it specifically in a recent press release as a project that will progress rapidly, as part of the Government’s Town Centres First policy. Local councillors have come out strongly against the bypass, saying they were not consulted, so it will be interesting to see if they remain opposed.

It will also be interesting to see if the new Moy bridge will cause environmental concerns. The new bridge at Cloongullane was almost denied planning as the ABP inspector recommended refusal for environmental reasons, but was fortunately overruled by the Board.

N26 Mount Falcon to Foxford: This received 100k in 2022 and 200k in 2023. This will consist of the online upgrade of the N26 from Mount Falcon to the start of the planned Foxford bypass near O'Haras bakery. It hasn't been said officially but this would almost certainly be type 1 SC due to the traffic levels on this stretch of the N26.

At some point this project may have to be split as the full 8km upgrade may not be doable for less than the 20m euro cut-off for minor works projects. I would see this project as being more urgent than the Foxford bypass, and I think local people will feel the same way, but Eamon Ryan may have other ideas.

Post edited by DumbBrunette on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Healy92

The bypass of Foxford could be so wide on the west side that it could be faster to still go through the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

That’s unlikely, The existing route is 2.3 km long, and under a 60 and 50 km/h limit for most of that distance (the southern approach is at 80). If the bypass is 3.0 km at 100km/h, or even 80, then even with no delays, you could not legally go through town in a shorter time.

The odd route is because this is a very small section of a much bigger plan to realign N5, N26 and N58 (N5/N26/N58 Castlebar East to Bohola and Swinford to Mount Falcon) The route corridor for that includes a northern bypass of Foxford carrying the N26 round to meet this section of road.

On safety grounds, I think the section south of Foxford should have been included, but then I suppose it would be over the price of a "small works" scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As long as it doesn't become like the Bishops Stortford bypass, which is a similar shape with 10 roundabouts. Or Burgess Hill, which got seven.

Thats my only worry about these town-centre specific bypasses, they tend to get festooned with roundabouts and become useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Dungarvan is the Irish example: two terminal roundabouts plus five intermediate ones along a 3 km stretch of road. Despite the name, N25 around Dungarvan was never really a bypass, more of a relief-road for the town.

This scheme is further from Foxford than N25 is from Dungarvan, and national routes are under much more planning protection than they used to be, which should prevent new junctions springing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

I really don't understand why the proposed Foxford bypass is not extended to meet the N26 on the east of Foxford. Seems like a wasted opportunity to kill two birds with one bypass.

It's good to see the upgrade of the N26 from Ballina to Foxford appears to be moving ahead of the Foxford bypass in the road upgrade pecking order.

The N26 upgrade is proceeding to route options selection stage later in the summer, while the Foxford bypass, one of Eamon Ryan's pet projects, is still stuck at the strategic assessment stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@Keeptheredflagflying

Mod: Post deleted - read the charter before posting again.

Advertisement