Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

From experience you won't be in the air very long, around 40 mins! Where in donegal you heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Yes the flight is very short! Supposed to be a great approach into the airport and nice to get a chance to fly on a Fokker!

Haven't really decided yet, was looking at staying in Donegal town, won't be driving so not sure how much I will get to see. Just looking to get away for a few nights !😉

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Got a reply from the British Horological Institute in Newark-On-Trent about a beginner course in watchmaking

"The first step would be a watch taster day (£99.00) and from there our 5-day service & repair of manual winding watches course https://bhi.co.uk/training-education/short-courses/  (associate registration required plus course fee £900.00). Dates for both of these so far are fully booked"

Also attached a form regarding the courses. Definitely interested in attending, might wait until next year and co- inside it with the next watch fair in Birmingham to make the best out of the trip and would be a great place to pick up tools! ,not sure if I would have any problems carrying metal tweezers etc on a plane!😁

Also have decided to put Donegal on hold until next year as well, prices seem to high and may have other commitments next week, still up for a GTG if there is interest. Thinking of a night in Westport instead, open to any other suggestions! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have an appointment booked in Pride & Pinion in a couple of weeks and spoke with Gavin there recently. Seems a really nice chap, very engaged but sure isn't that the default position for Sales folk 😉

The trip up actually works out fairly well even for a trip to some of the Dublin shops. Hit Dublin in the morning, Brunch and a bit of browsing with the Mrs then afternoon train to Belfast. Get checked in to the hotel, have a wander around and grab some dinner. Early appt in P&P before heading off to the surgeon.

Might have time after that to browse Lunn's and a few others before train back down to Dublin and then Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah the lads are very nice and professional, I spoke more to Tim than to Gavin, got the impression he is more senior / knowledgeable

Train, Jaysus that cost a fortune last time I was in one. I guess I was the only one in the whole train (Dublin to Cork day return) who paid full fare, so I guess I had to pay for all the others too 🤣

• Advertisement

Well then Unk... Don't get the train on the 25th or 26th or you will be paying for me and the Mrs too 😉

The upside of being a "pensioner" 😁 and in fairness, I am travelling up for a medical appt so totally an appropriate use of the Free Travel scheme 😁

Ha! Yeah you can't beat public transport if you don't have to pay for it 😁

Always liked trains myself, but they are mega expensive if you pay full whack for a ticket. I think it was very close to €100 for a day return Dublin to Cork for 1 adult. Insane for such a small trip, flying is cheaper

It is mental and prices really need to be reassessed if there is to be a move away from everyone in cars tbh. The 50% for 19-23yo announced in the budget is a start but we need to be IMO moving towards a far cheaper system and also ditch taxsaver as it's useless for minimum wage and low paid workers who would use public transport most. Unless you're in the high bracket it's pointless. Universal low fares and a decent commuter ticket option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Agreed, I think the half price for yoofs is inspired. It will encourage usage and normalise adoption for that generation, and those that follow.

I had a work thing in Belfast a few years ago, and I was asked if the train was acceptable, as I'm in Dublin.

It was fecking marvelous.

Comfy, connected, catered! :)

I walked form the station to the hotel, and had a lovely stay and saw some local sights, and attended the event.

Lovely experience.

And unlike in Dublin, the train station in Belfast is bang on in the city centre. Where of course all central stations in all big cities should be.

• Advertisement

The trip to Belfast may well result in a space in my box, rather than an addition.

A chat on the phone regarding what I have, and what I want led to a fairly strong price guide for my VC that honestly has me seriously considering letting it go.

Market is mad, prices are irrational and the temptation to cash in in a desirable blue dialled watch is growing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

What will you replace it with banie?

I've had that very conversation with a regular here and the Mrs.

It's the conundrum of cashing in on a rising market isn't it? Anything else you might consider is already rising too.

I'd like to spin it into a Zenith Chronomaster sport and an Omega 2535.80, thing is if the lads above are accurate on what they expect to fetch? I'd even have a little change!

I've seen others mention the effect of hearing a price or considering a sale can have on grà for a watch and didn't think it would happen to me. I was wrong! I still love the VC but now I'm half afraid to ding it when I wear it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,521 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi Banie

are they buying it from you or offering to sell on consignment?

Its an offer on consignment but with (according to them at least) a buyer lined up. There was some horse trading on commission but I settled for price back to me with them keeping anything above that. Will leave it with them for 30days and if it doesn't fetch what they think and what I'd set as my "price" I'll know that smoke was being blown up asses ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,521 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The joys of them fawning over a piece but not throwing their own cash down 😉 it pushes an onus back on them to back up their confidence in pricing too IMO whilst not costing me.

Silly as it sounds, even with me knowing how much the prices have appreciated since June? I'd not expected them to go "grand so, we'll pick it up in the morning".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

i suppose if you arent wearing a watch its as easy leave with them for a while to see what they sell at... do you mind saying ballpark the percentage commission they take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Have you asked Watchfinder for a price? Its a very specific piece and buyers are few and far between. And wile the P&P guys are super nice, more than half their Rolex stock sits around for months on end, their solution to which is to raise the asking price.

Remember consignment does cost you, its has oppertunity cost. There is no down side for the seller, but for you the down side is that the watch is returned after months of not having use of it, and now its been tried on 50 chaps sweaty wrists.

Hey Fitz, nope I haven't spoken to Watchfinder. TBH even though I'd kept an eye on asking prices it wasn't really on my radar for sale. I was more value curious. As I was sorting out an appt to visit, the chat turned to the personal collection and interest was piqued.

On the opportunity cost, you're not wrong but the deal in play is 30days with them on sale or return and if it's still there then reassess. For me, it's a solid way of seeing a couple of things, but primarily a means of seeing where the market is and reconciling that and the mad (to my mind) jump in asking prices on that model over the last 4/5months. If the jump is genuine and the price they expect is achieved? The jump is the opportunity cost justified imo.

@micks_address the deal I have in place is a fixed price back to me. Their commission range is @10% and negotiable. So if I was considering Watchmaster? P&P is @50% cheaper as their charge is 19%, and the Chrono24 fee would be 6.5% of final sale. The P&P offer is significantly cheaper than Watchmaster and given the P&P boys will market the watch? IMO it's far better value than self selling on Chrono24 for the shift in work to sell whilst having both access to a lot of viewers and the "extra" that selling via a dealer should raise to both offset commission and to save dealing with lowballers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

But in lots of cites train stations are bang in the middle of the red light district🤔. Is that because the land was cheaper in red light areas, or did the red light industry build up around the station?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

What cities are those (asking for a friend)? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

in fairness the train stations in dublin aren't to far away from the city centre... compared to the airport at least! well maybe im just thinking of connolly... the planet heustons have a bit to get in alright

Banie throw in a sale offer to watchfinder. I always do this it as it lets you know what dealers are thinking is a low offer. I do this when buying or selling a watch to see where the market actually is. Chrono is a nice place for dreaming, sure I see gen 1 overseas with blue dials there for 25k but we all know that is a fiction. When the watch is on consignment and out of your possession you will be a lot more likely accept a low ball.

Same problem with WF though if you decide to send it to them. First of all there is not insignificant shipping costs. Then they insist you send it unmarked and uninsured (at your own risk of course) which is nerve-wrecking for a watch costing thousands (unless you can get them to send out a courier at their cost and risk). Then it takes forever for the watch to be assessed (can easily take months) and at the end you might get an offer well below their initial "estimate"

Agree though that an initial offer from WF is a good marker for the low end of the valuation. A bit like selling your second hand car to a second hand car dealer for cash. You will get an offer of a good 20,30, who knows 40% below private sale value. Which is understandable. They're no charity, they need to put bread on the table too...

The shipping and the cost of it, especially on the of chance that something goes wrong, that's one of the things that would steer more towards P&P or WatchMaster over WF.

P&P had a DHL label sent to me same day and confirmed that they have 50k insurance in place. Relleb afaik offer similar as part of their service. You "sell" the watch on their platform, buyer pays them, Relleb arrange pick up, authenticate the piece, release funds to you and ship to the buyer.

The convenience is of course all built in to the charge for any service on all the platforms, but others are doing it now better than WF.

@Fitz II whilst I didn't get a WF offer, I did have a Watchmaster offer to sell on consignment (contacted me via insta) that gave a high end of @€12k for it, with their cut at 19%.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If anyone is looking to pick up a Citizen watch have a look at https://www.republicoftime.ie/

They're a new Irish company selling online and the prices are very good. I know the guys running it so it's fully legit. I'll be reviewing some of the watches they sell on my channel, that Promaster bullhead is georgous.

• Advertisement

Yes not suggesting selling to WF justy get a price. There will be vastly different offers in watchmaster its consignment only, while WF is buy only. Consignment deals are highballs, buy deals are low balls, the market (what an individual will actually pay for the watch) is in the middle somewhere. Not trying to rain on any parade here, just tempering expectation...I have bought and sold a few and I can tell you the Gen1 overseas buyer willing to shell out more than Gen2 money is a rare and wonderful thing.

Advertisement