Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are some of your unpopular fitness related opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Before covid I used to go in, foam roll, do some band work, box jumps/Kettlewell swings, chin ups etc Before touching a bar.

With the introduction of time limits I just went straight to the bar. I have personally noticed no difference in injury rate or ability to perform.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

To answer your question, yes, when it comes to something like sprints you still need the warm up prior to the activity.

Whatever you do the rest of the week is fine, but it’s not a substitute for raising your muscle and core temperature and prepping tissues before the higher intensity work of the day.

If it was I would just do my yoga/mobility work throughout the week and then be able to jump straight into BJJ rounds, or straight into prowler sprints. Obviously not the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Years ago, I used to spend 10-15 minutes doing stretches and warmups before touching a bar. With some reading in this very forum, and some influence of barbellmedicine, I cut a lot of that out and warmed up with 1-2 extra sets on an empty bar. Saved me a good 5-10 minuets each workout and I also felt no different.

That said, I've taken a similar approach after going back to the gym (and not exercising in 6+ months) after reopening and I've been getting achey in odd places. Due to having less time (work/children related), I always jump under a barbell as soon as I get in and do my extra empty barbell warmups and it hasn't worked out too well for me. I think I need to do some sort of stretching due to how under trained I am.

I conclude that in my personal experience, a stretching/mobility warmup routine is necessary if somewhat under trained. But if not under trained, probably unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Cill94

Here's another one: massage/manual therapy/myofascial release etc. works, but not for any of the reasons people tend to think it does.

Has nothing to do with 'loosening knots' or 'breaking up adhesions', and a lot more to do with relaxation, changes in tissue sensitivity, or just a good old fashioned placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Unpopular opinion on Transformation pictures - Passed by an F45 gym in Dublin this morning and they had a huge poster showing 10-15 before and after result pictures - Most of the people looked healthier and happier in their before pictures. Anyone else notice this before? I thought it was particularly through for the female pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Tribeshift

This is very true. That strained look on the faces of long-distance runners ages them so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

six or seven years ago, i couldn't touch my toes; i've never been a particularly supple person anyway. but when i got back into cycling, i started doing stretches partly because i was conscious that you never actually fully straighten your leg cycling, and now i can stetch an inch or two past my toes, so to speak.

doesn't take much, maybe every second or third cycle, i do about 30s of stretches while my legs are still warm.

These pictures just seem to be an exercise in showing people having 'leaned out', very rarely do you see one where there's evidence of significant muscle gain. But they can still be impressive within that parameter I guess.

With regard to looking happy in them, I wonder is it just the Irish psyche, we're not that comfortable in our own skins...

I haven’t seen that particular F45 poster, but I do think there are several issues with the importance that gets placed on before and after photos.

Hard to even tell sometimes if the ‘after’ photo is really a body comp change or just better lighting, photo angle, clothing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Plus they only ever show the physical before and after - and the mental/mindset before and after could be very different (either positive or negative depending how they made the transformation).

You could have a "before" that's a stone or so overweight but with a fully intuitive / carefree eating approach vs. a restricted, calorie-obsessed orthorexic "after".

Or conversely a very unhealthy binging "before", with a new balanced, moderate "after".

Sometimes even a picture doesn't give the full picture!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Tell that to the gymnasts, figure skaters, dancers and acrobats. There are many, many, many sports and fitness activities where real strength in end range motion is a necessity. You aren't going to be able to jump in the air in a full split if you aren't flexible and strong. I also do some ultra endurance and there is a big difference in how I am later that day/the next day if I have stretched or not afterwards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Are the posters like these? The photos are pretty hilariously bad, tbh. For one the after pictures are all slightly smaller, many are taken from an obviously different angle. The women in particular are wearing badly fitting underwear in their before pictures, accentuating their body fat, many have a different pelvic tilt which completely changes how the inner thigh looks in a photo. They are mainly slumping a little in the before pictures and standing tall with shoulders back in the after pictures.

I'm not saying that they haven't lost fat and gained muscle but the photos are designed to maximise the appearance of any change. I know I can stand in front of a mirror and how I stand, what underwear I have on will completely change how I look. I know I can see better muscular definition in my dressing table mirror than in my wardrobe mirror because of the way the light hits me.

I also know that while I'm much, much happier with how I look as a healthy weight, reasonably muscular woman than I was when I was overweight to the point of borderline obesity. It's not my looks that motivate me. It's my abilities. I can do activities that I used to only dream about. I know that, barring a life changing illness/injury, I can achieve so much more. Even in middle age. I know what I can do this year surpasses all that I was so happy with last year. And that makes the thought of next year very exciting! How I feel from what I can do is so much more important than how I look. I feel genuine, intense joy on a near daily basis from activity. I'd keep doing this if it made me look bad. Though that isn't how it works, being fit and active tends to have a very positive effect on our looks. I eat well because I want to eat the foods that make me feel the best and let me perform the best. I don't have to worry about eating too much or too little because I am focussed on how to get the best out of myself. Focussing on looks over feelings is probably a big mistake. Telling people that their physical fantasy self might be more attainable than they think, would ultimately be more motivating.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7531537/How-shred-15-kilos-eight-weeks-F45.html

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

1 Your body fat percentage is higher than you think it is

2 stretching and mobility work are not the same thing

3 Long distance runners are probably weaker than people who don't exercise at all

4 Nobody will think you played county if you wear GAA gear into the gym

5 The conditioning levels of most men who lift weights in commercial Gyms is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Socrates would like he horrified by modern fitness and training approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Post edited by silverharp on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,700 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Alcohol calories aren't the same as food calories, i.e. if I was to replace all the beer I drank with burgers or something with the same calorific value, I'd be fat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

alcohol treated by human body as poison hence you can see drop of blood sugar when someone consume x amount of alcohol as body try to get rid of poison first.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I think the most unpopular opinion that I have tried to deliver is that, we don't need any protein powders at all.

Fad protein shakes or fancy protein bars all this absolutely garbage..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As someone with siblings that have T1 diabetes, different types of alcohol have different impacts on their blood sugar. Some make it go up and some make it go down.

Post edited by Alf Veedersane on

I don’t think that an unpopular opinion at all. Any half clued in person knows they aren’t needed. They are just connivence. Most people would rather have a steak or whatever.

the only person I seen suggest the are needed, are people building a strawman to knock down.

• Advertisement

That would us well known, but I agree the popular opinion is the “200 calories in a pint of beer” equating it with food.

It’s not so much that the calories are different themselves rather the calories burned are very different also.

Can I get a fact check on this , the behind the head tricep dumbbell extension ?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

1. "Tough on the cuff"

Just use appropriate weights and I don't see this as an issue.

2 "De triceps don't do dis, dey do dat"

No idea what he's trying to illustrate here, but it sounded funny.

It's clickbait and it's incredibly brief, I normally expect more substance, even out of my clickbait.

When you perform an overhead tricep extension with the elbows tucked in to the front of the body, I gather that for anatomical reasons it's not efficient for force production as if the arms are let abduct slightly out into the scapular plane, and work from there.

When he says "de triceps don't do dis, dey do dat", I think it's possible that this is what he is trying to say, in his unintentionally comical way. Considering he advances no real argument or explanation it's hard to know.

However, I have done overhead tricep extensions both ways and to be honest it doesn't matter that much.

Out of curiosity I googled his bio. This is from his site:-

"HI,

this is where you normally find an endless list of accomplishments and titles, I l will keep it short (google can tell you EVERYTHING about me in 15 milliseconds) , I came to the US on a swimming scholarship, competed in World Cups etc, made the Hall of Fame of my alma mater in 2012, won a lot of stuff, So I am obviously insanely qualified.

Since then,I established myself as a respected fitness and nutrition expert within the industry and in NYC while winning the Musclemania championship twice.

I even wrote books, shocker I know! And contribute to Muscle and Fitness, Crains, Muscle and Strength

But here is the bigger question: What can I do for you?

Simple. Think of fitness as lego blocks, I am the guy that teaches you to build whatever (body) you want via science. No gimmicks, no hype , just results!

I give you all the tools you needed will be with you every step of the way, you just got to bring the motivation. You in?"

Normally if someone was an olympian it does make me give them a lot more kudos on a personal level. Can't actually see any evidence he went to the olympics or came close to it, although the claim is repeated on several pages. If I was at an olympics at any point I think I would have tattooed it on my head, and I'd certainly have said which olympics on my bio?

Sounds like the classic “I’m in shape so I must know what I’m talking about” fallacy. Yet he doesn’t seem to understand a basic piece of info like what the triceps do.

And yeah, big red flags if the info on his Olympic participation isn’t readily available.

Out of curiosity I looked up worst tricep exercises , the illustrious Jeff has the standing Power bomb as "worst" too 1:20 , 11:30 Incline improves the exercise , its an exercise Ive been doing since the summer so for the sake of putting the bench on an incline

I don’t know who Jeff is either, but I presume you realise these guys just need to generate content, take the articles and video stuff with a pile of salt.

If people focused on programming as a whole, or actually doing any program with intensity and adherence, the way they do hunting for “good” and “bad” exercises they’d all be jacked by now.

There’s a wrong way to perform most movements, although bench dips are out of favour it’s true.

Absolutely. Confidently claiming that there are bad exercises, and that you are somehow an authority on this matter, is a great way of hooking gym newbies on your content. As a beginner, the prospect of finding the 'secret exercise' is a much easier concept to accept than being told you just need to train hard and consistently for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

FYI, it's Jeff Cavaliere of Athlean-X and yes, he is the epitome of clickbait

Hey, remember sixpackshortcuts? Personal trainers hate him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Advertisement