Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

This is why I think MoonUnit is a woman. Everything a guy says is taken literally and noted for future use against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What's with all the Greek code names for the guards? Almost like they were variants of a virus...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

'He' was talking about his wife upthread, but I suppose that proves nothing nowadays...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

The GSOC investigation found, through work carried out by a forensic scientist, that pages from a station 'Jobs Book' had been cut out possibly with scissors. They related to the time IB became a suspect.

GSOC believed it pointless to investigate further as one of the investigating officers who had access to the books had passed away.

That action is CORRUPT in itself and was carried out to cover up corruption.

Let's not get personal people!!

I know I called moonie out for probably being a gard the last day, and probably got annoyed with him/her several times since, but a few of the recent comments are bordering on trolling.

There's enough of that shite on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Looking at geohive maps from 1995, 2000 and 2005 I don't see any houses between Sophie's and the junction of the cul de sac with the 'main' road approx. half a mile away.

There is a more recently built house on the south side of the cul de sac, about 220m from the junction with the 'main' road but it doesn't seem to be on earlier geo hive maps.

As far as I can see the nearest houses would have been approx. another half a mile in either direction along the 'main' road.

Says the poster who just called him Moonpig?????

And back to that deathbed confession thing, you did bring it up but then asked everyone to delete your quote.

• Advertisement

A middle aged man referring to Sophie as a beautiful woman as if it has some relevance to the case is nothing short of creepy in my opinion.

Women can get away with saying thing like that, but from a man it just sounds very very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's standard journalistic clickbait, though I wish they would rise above the usual cliches.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Article didn't say which neighbours but as you say it's a very short list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I haven't been there recently. I only looked at google recently. When exactly the houses were built, I don't know. I only suppose that Sophie's as well as Alfie + Shirley's house were the oldest in the area. The other one where the visually impaired neighbour allegedly lived, I can't say, and the one, by the entrance of the main road, I can't tell either however, I believe it was built way after the murder.

Ah now, just a bit of humour.

I'm not the only one who's heard of the confession to be fair, I just started talking about it 2 weeks before reddit did 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Calling Nick Foster a journalist is stretching it. If he's what accounts for journalism nowadays, we really are screwed. I just dont know how you can insert yourself into someones life like he did with Bailey, pretend to be his friend, while all the time, looking to do him in anyway possible so he could sell more books essentially. It takes a particular type of low level cretin & sociopath to do that. He is about as reliable as Marie Farrell in this case or even less so.

The only impartial report on the case against Bailey was the DPP report, it completely savaged the gards, it rightly showed how the so called witnesses were inconsistent in anything they said & were completely untrustworthy. (Not to mention they were being bribed, intimidated, coerced by the gards), Eamon Barnes initially and then James Hamilton were the DPP'S with regard to this case, two excellent DPPS while the current one leaves a lot to be desired, I can only imagine if this happened in Claire Loftus's reign, Bailey would definitely be going to trial and costing the state millions.

Buttimer (Baileys Solicitor) said that Gsoc was a “rather powerless and toothless organisation that doesn’t have much by way of capacity to enquire and police the police in the way I think it should be done”.

He said that Bailey doesn’t accept that the gardaí’s actions were not unlawful, or that the investigation actions weren’t corrupt in some cases.

As far as official Ireland is concerned [it's an example of a] shameful lack of accountability in this point in time.

The report by Gsoc says that there’s no accountability in this disgraceful [incident] of policing.

“If these things occurred now there would be absolute uproar, but the fade factor suited An Garda Síochána and it suited Gsoc to produce this relatively limited report.”

So for anyone, relying on GSOC reports or a judge who has been found to have a serious conflict of interest in the case against Bailey, you need to have a good look at yourself in the mirror. They hold absolutely no weight at all.

Bailey actually wrote a very good thesis on the need for the police in Ireland to be policed themselves. GSOC are certainly not going to do it.

A full independent inquiry should be opened into this case now. This case isnt even about Sophie anymore, this is about how seriously corrupt our police force is in this country and its needs to be properly exposed. Just like the Catholic church were a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

This is an important point. Bailey, his solicitor and Jim etc., have full access to both files they mention the guard as the prime suspect. Not to say Alfie wasn't playing layer cake but the focus should first be on the Bantry detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Does anyone find it very strange that Malachi Reed never mentioned Bailey's confession to his mother that night?

Then the guards heard he'd got a lift home off Bailey, went and pulled him out of school in the middle of the day and all of a sudden he's saying Bailey confessed in the car.

Bit of a smell off that.

From both documentaries it looks like Malachi's Mum either has some issue with Bailey or else she is very attracted to a bit of the limelight. She appears prominently in both programmes and testified in the French 'trial'. Malachi appears to have very little to say about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

IB does not deny the conversation took place. He claims he said 'everything was going fine until they said I went up there with a rock and bashed her brains in'. Malachi stood by what he heard and Judge Moran said he accepted his version. IB had not been arrested or named as a suspect at the time.

So if the gardai put Malachi up to it then they must have both a time machine and a device for controlling other people's thoughts. They heard Malachi got a ride home with IB. They then got into their time machine and went back to earlier the previous day. While back in the past, they used their mind control device to connect to IB's brain and insert incriminating words and then activate the speech circuits so he would say it at the correct time. They then went forward almost a day, just a few minutes earlier so they could catch Malachi at school just before their future selves get to him.

This corruption is more far reaching and mind bending that we first thought. We now have evidence that they were using advanced technology too.

GSOC found this happened after 2002, in other words after the DPP had rejected taking a prosecution after receiving a reviewed and updated garda file and after a full review following the DPP's criticisms. If the action was corrupt then it had no effect and no purpose against IB. We don't know who cut the pages out, by the time GSOC reviewed the jobs books the case file had been reviewed several times and sent around various investigators, we don't know who had access to the files during that time.

GSOC commented that the books sometimes had pages stuck together and the pages that couldn't be accessed then were found to have nothing on them. Pages were left blank and job numbers continued in sequence a few pages later with nothing missing in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I know (unlike most people here) you're not open to any other possibility than Bailey did it, so not really aimed at you.

If it was that clear cut, it wouldn't still be unsolved after 25 years though.

What about the guards heard Malachi had got a lift off Bailey (might not have been named as a suspect, but was obviously on their radar. Why did they go to the school otherwise)?

So Malachi tells them what happened (possibly IB's version) and they convince him to take out the "they're saying " bit. Not that fanciful really.

They managed to convince MF to transform a 5'8" continental looking man into 6'4" Ian Bailey, so is it really that unbelievable?

Malachi testified himself at the libel trial in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

I found that laughable that Amanda Reid went to testify at the French Trial yet her son Malachi wouldnt tesify. In fact Malachi seems to want nothing to do with the case anymore which leads me to believe he knows IB wasn't being serious. Your right Amanda did seem to have some issue with IB in the documentaries - she came across that way. Theres no way she should have been included in the documentaries or the french trial.

It's possible but unlikely that he would stand by it under cross examination six years later.

To me, a more plausible scenario is that Malachi took a lift from someone he knew. He said IB had been drinking and appeared stressed or upset. IB makes this remark and Malachi thinks to himself 'that's a bloody weird thing to say' but since he knows IB thinks 'nah, couldn't be, could it??'. The next day the gardai arrive and ask him about getting a lift home with IB and asked did he say anything, Malachi then realises what he heard is far more significant and consequential than he first thought and that the gardai consider him an actual suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Untrue. GSOC did not establish when pages were first removed.

Maybe at least some of the pages were there during the initial DPP review which explains their scathing assessment of the investigation.

GSOC considered charges for the DPP and did not proceed as the responsible detective was deceased.

Pages were deliberately removed by Gardai.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Laughable, Bailey didnt actually he say he went up there and bashed her brains in, he said everything was going well until people said I went up there and bashed her brains in. Even if he did say he went up there and bashed her brains and thats why things arent so good at the moment, only the most naive or idiotic type of individual would believe that, it was clearly said in scarcasm. So after everything, hes just going to pick up a young boy and admit to one of the most high profile crimes in recent times, really???

Judge Moran accepted his version, ya of course he did, now we know what he was like & what he was up to. A judge that so obviously had in it for bailey that he suspended a mandatory 10 year sentence of a drug supplier just so he could help the gards in implicating bailey falsely in this crime. After that, this judge has absolutely no credibility and to top it off he said he thought it was probable that bailey was the man seen down by kelfadda bridge that night by Marie Farrell. Yah sounds plausible, walk an extra 4km after murdering someone in the most horrific fashion, wash himself off, walk home, make the missus a cup of coffee, then head down in the morning and report on said crime. Not to mention, Marie Farrell was a blatant perjurer. I wouldn't be taking a blind bit of notice of what that judge had to say.

The only fantasists on this thread are the ones who continually expect everyone to believe nothing dodgy happened that would have implicated a gard.

I saw the footage of him going into the court, poor lad looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. I do believe he told the truth.

Bailey gave the kid a lift. (I wonder what could be his ulterior motive for that?) It's obvious that everyone in Schull knew of the murder, and also obvious that everyone in Schull knew Bailey was suspected, including Malachi. So Bailey being Bailey makes a daft awkward joke. Malachi probably got the joke but his Mum didn't.

I wonder did she ever thank him for giving her son a lift?

• Advertisement

Earlier you claimed that during Leo's trial the judge was told he was helping gardai with another case. Where is that information from? It's not in the articles I've come across anywhere. Judge Moran said he was being lenient because Leo's equestrian business was destroyed by what Leo said was the malicious use of a crow banger by a neighbour that had a grievance with him. This left him with no business and no income.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement