Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And it's way way too late to pretend otherwise.

Back in 2018 Simon Coveney said the British civil service was arguably the best in the world, but it needed political direction to make more progress on complex Brexit-related issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,042 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The UK could really troll the UK right right now by legalizing chlorinated chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I presume you mean the UK could troll the EU.

I doubt it. If they did that suddenly the reason NI protocol would be solidified and they would have no excuse for moaning about it or extending it anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect other way round. The EU could troll the UK by legalising chlorinated chicken - the UK, who have unilaterally extended the period when they won't do any checks on products coming into the UK, thus would be unable to stop the chlorinated chicken from coming in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see that Gove has been appointed as head of a new taskfoce to secure food supply chains. When announcing the appointment to his cabinet, Johnson allegedly quipped that he "doesn’t want to have to cancel Christmas again".

What other countries around the world have a similar taskforce?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Soapboxing posts and responses removed. Kermit.de.frog, do not post in this thread again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭yagan

I don't think anyone getting tough with the UK will do anymore damage that what the UK is doing to itself.

Food shortages in the name of political expediency sounds like something you'd expect to hear about in Zimbabwe or Venezuela.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just going by the signs on the windows every pub in London is hiring. One even had "desperate for staff" on a window

Probably not desperate enough to pay them properly though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The talk that the UK was at bursting point and on the verge of collapse from EU immigration was utter baloney and lies from the usual suspects. One million vacancies and nobody even available to do the jobs.....unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was speaking to managers last night from the London pub co. I used work for and they all report that the staff and applicants are getting progressively worse too.

There is something weird going on over there that I can't link to Brexit and it's the fact that English people from outside London have given up moving down. My staff were all 20+ year olds from either EU countries or regional English counties but not it's nothing but 18yo London kids who have never even been in a pub before. Maybe it's because I moved in the post Olympics excitement and everyone was flocking down but London certainly doesn't seem to be drawing them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

An interesting article on negotiations between the UK and EU over data regulation. For people familiar with how the UK has dealt with Brexit there are some trends that have been repeated in other areas of the UK dealing with the EU and the rest of the world post Brexit. It still seems reality hasn't dawned on the UK government

Some key points from the article. Apparently the current EU UK deal contains a sunset clause which means a new deal with have to be negotiated in a few years time. This basically sums up how little trust the EU has when it comes to the UK and future changes to data regulation in the UK.

Also as normal the UK government appear to be ignoring businesses who would prefer no changes and even there are changes would be more likely to stick to EU standards if possible.

The other point which is relevant to trade deals is that the more agreements the UK signs with non EU countries the greater the likely hood that the new agreements will invalidate their current deal with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thats probably the rising cost of living and the catastrophically high house prices and rent costs... people simply cannot afford to live in London on crappy low wages

This. The UK's "taking back control of its borders" translates into the UK outsourcing to the EU the right to decide what goods can and cannot be imported into the UK.

What other countries in the world have a taskforce to secure food supply chains headed by a man who has spent years spearheading a push to degrade the country's food supply chains?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whilst not for a single moment taking away from the absolute colossal shambles that is Brexit , those very same signs are in every pub, café , hotel and restaurant all across Ireland too.

The Service Industry is in dire straits for staff at present - A lot of people left the industry during the pandemic and just aren't coming back.

Hard to blame them as in general it's crappy pay , with crappy hours and work environments with little in the way of career opportunities.

And right now , they are getting the extra hit of all their "summer" staff leaving to go back to school/college and there just aren't enough full time staff available to keep the doors open for a lot of places , certainly not on weekdays - Several Hotels near me are talking about closing during the week or at least curtailing food/beverage services etc. as a result.

It's an Industry problem , they just aren't paying them enough or at least the lack of progression is a huge problem - "Fresh in the door? - Minimum wage" - "Working there for 5 years - Still Minimum wage" , just crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Precisely. Only yesterday I was in a regular haunt and according to the café staff, they still haven't hired replacements for those who left, leaving the place permanently understaffed. And this by no means an isolated case across my catchment area.

I'd say where brexit comes in and makes the difference is that the longer the big logistical limbo exists from everything from entry into the country to entitlement to work, the longer the UK will become a big black hole for seasonal or service work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The running theme seems to be that there are issues plaguing a wide range of sectors caused mainly by the pandemic but also by other things which are being exacerbated by Brexit. I feel like Brexit could have enabled the UK to have enacted substantial and far reaching reforms in its labour market within a more dynamic framework but the government has regrettably opted for the culture war and corruption.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I've noticed on Twitter and with some UK ministers than when somebody says Brexit is an issue they respond with.

"Brexit is not 100% the problem." I think they're hoping that the less mathematically savvy will just hear "Brexit is not the problem"

I agree (with the 100% bit) and I think most people agree but they slightly deflect their understanding of the issue to come out with that line. I think there are few, if any areas where Brexit is 100% the problem. Maybe it's 40% for the haulier problem, 70% fishing, 20% hotel & retail staff etc. etc. etc.

Is there any situation that benefits from Brexit (I mean for the general UK population and not just some rich Tory benefactors)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is there any situation that benefits from Brexit (I mean for the general UK population and not just some rich Tory benefactors)

That is indeed the key question and thus far certainly in terms of tangible benefits , the answer is a resounding and categoric No.

There is nothing about the day to day lives of the average Briton that has been made better by Brexit.

A lot of stuff so far is unchanged, but an increasing number of things have been made worse to some degree.

They just don't want to have to deal with that particular chicken coming home to roost. Had they not artificially fabricated it purely for their own self-interest, I'd sympathise.

The problem they're going to have is that Brexit was won for cultural reasons. English nationalism has a long history of nostalgic nave gazing. You can even see this in Jean de Ghent's soliloquy in Shakespeare's Richard II when he invokes "This sceptred isle". The idea of England being better somehow in times gone by before being ruined, possibly by foreigners is not remotely a new phenomenon. Nationalists here created a narrative whereby the UK was being eroded and stolen from people by the crafty, unelected Eurocrats like Mr. Juncker. Meanwhile, the major parties preside over the economic rot that has festered in most of the country decades and have denuded the manufacturing sector to the point where the country that invented tanks and radar can't actually make either itself.

The problem is now the economic consequences warnings of which were dismissed and derided as "Project fear". No amount of nationalist rhetoric can put food on the table if the government willingly and enthusiastically decides to take a hammer to the process by which food gets on said table. I think people are starting to see real adverse consequences now.

I live in London and I'm starting to notice empty shelves in supermarkets. It's not widespread in my experience but it's been widely reported. It says much about this country that the wealthy older generation care more about their right to visit their villas in Spain than they do about the prosperity of the next generation. I think, despite this we'll see a very gradual turning of the tide towards a closer alignment with the EU. It won't be rejoin but it'll at least keep food coming in.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lets not forget that even the EU were warning the UK that Covid created additional problems and that a transitional period extension would be best.

They not only refused, but mocked the very idea.

So it is a bit hard to take any minister, or MP, claiming that Covid is having an impact, when they were warned about it and choose not to do anything to reduce the impact of the combination of Brexit and Covid. Their job is to protect the country from issues like this, and whilst one can argue about the impact of Covid, they completely failed to delay Brexit which is making the problems worse.

One of the huge failures with the vote to leave, perhaps the biggest failure of all, is that it failed to take into the account that circumstances in the UK might change in the near future. It assumed that everything would remain the same as at June 23rd 2016, EU immigration would carry on abated : the reasons for leaving the EU in 2016 would still apply in 2021, 2025 and 2035. Covid-19 is exactly the type of unanticipated event that would render Brexit a disastrous decision. But nobody was even factoring in such a possibility : all they wanted to hear was Farage's slogans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The vote leave promised everything and nothing.

Of course, the UK would remain in the SM, and any problems were all just 'project fear'. Money saved would be available to the NHS, but all EU sourced money for farming and poorer regions would continue to fund the UK as before, but subject to Westminster political control.

Immigration from the EU was promised would stop, but the much greater, non-EU, immigration was not mentioned. The Turks were joining the EU, but they were not, and probably never will. There were plenty of other lies, too many to list.

The main problem was Brexit divided the nation from top to bottom, but not on traditional party lines. The result was close, but was subject to majoritarianism - winner takes all. No attempt was made by the Brexit side to compromise in even tiny ways - like discussing possible compromises.

You could argue it was predominately a failure of the political system. If the UK had a proper system for holding referendums with numerous checks and balances built in, the whole shambles could have been avoided. Yes, the shysters like Farage, Vote Leave and the Telegraph would still have been there spouting the same nonsense, but they would never have been able to subvert the system and hijack a referendum.

FPTP contributed hugely to the 'winner takes all' mentality (another reason why an advisory referendum was a quite disastrous idea).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

M&S closing 11 French stores and blaming it squarely on Brexit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58582860

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think Archie Norman, the head of M&S who is a former Tory MP blames the paperwork required by the EU as being responsible and not the decisions by the UK government since this debacle began.

Apparently the company's problems have nothing to do with them not changing their supply chains in anticipation of their current issues (sure who could have predicted this kind of mess?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The UK can now put the crown back on their pint glasses. I was amazed to read that this wasn't allowed under EU law. Is that really the case? If so, why?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/09/16/brexit-triumph-crown-stamp-returns-pint-glasses-bonfire-eu-rules/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think M&S setting up a distribution centre for Ireland ad NI and basing it in Scotland was a spectacular example of lack of foresight - I think it was set up in 2019, but I may be wrong in that.

If only the proposed bridge or tunnel across the Beaufort dyke had been built a few years ago, but now binned, it would be a fantastic coup, but there you go, cannot win them all.

Why do M&S still continue to source everything for Ireland only from the UK, and particularly Britain?

The 'British' shops in Belgium and France have switched their supply for such particularly British fodder to Roscrea - a good pragmatic decision. Why could M&S not do the same?

• Advertisement

This 'was' allowed by the EU in fact. I'm afraid we're back to the lies and gaslighting by the Brexit media again. The EU were on record as saying they would have no issue at all with a crown symbol on pint glasses just as long as the 'CE' symbol was displayed somewhere else, even underneath.

Advertisement