Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 Round 13: Dutch Grand Prix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Saw it on the onboard, it appeared he was warming his tyers and weaved left just as Latifi came last!

Might it have been enough to cause Latifi to react? I dunno. (It wasn’t noticeable from Latifis onboard I’ll admit)

No, he was moving left because he was approaching a right-hander. His presence may have contributed but he didn't do anything he shouldn't have.

It makes no sense to me that the horrible airbox above the drivers on the Alpines can be better than a smaller one. They don't even have particularly small sidepods which might be the benefit to a bit top airbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Those roars of the crowd are immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lovely stuff and I’m not sure but I think the crowd are happy about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That the boy Max. What a lap. Max to win this. Go on Max. I can not wait.. Should be a great race.

Great Pirre Gasly too to get onto the 2nd row.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Great job by Max.

Had he not improved his time then Hamilton would've match his time with his lap but stayed 2nd due to Max setting his time first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭McFly85

Phenomenal job by Max yet again! I just hope we finally get to see him race this weekend now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

Surprised how much time Lewis gained and Valtteri lost in sector 3 of those last laps. Did they manage to slow Bottas and get him in a position to give Hamilton a tow down that last straight without being too close the rest of the lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChrisFinch

Is the sound terrible for anyone else using the F1 TV app? Car noises coming through much louder than commentary.

This is Max's to lose. Looking like it will be a boring enough race tbh. Looks like a cool track and a cool event but the it will take safety cars to make the race interesting

• Advertisement

Love how the track looks and the on board footage is great. Q1 was a complete farce though, the current breed of F1 cars is really not suitable to classic tracks like this. Would have been incredible to see them racing on this circuit in proper F1 cars a decade or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

I might be wrong but i think this track is too narrow and dangerous with very narrow run off - qualifying was good but i hope there are no nasty accidents tomorrow 🤐

Looks like the explanation for Lewis bigs gain in that sector was that Verstappen’s DRS failed. Doesn’t explain why Bottas was so slow but presumably he made a mistake or just backed off when it looked like he wouldn’t get Max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Fair play to Gio getting that Alfa into 7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Perez....

How is he not setting a time that's safe from elimination with his first lap??

Redbull a bit premature with the contract extension? I wonder do they have their own performance clause in his contract like Max has in his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭weisses

Max messed up shifting up in turn 3 and his drs didnt open on the straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭weisses

Old school track where mistakes are being punished .... We don't need any more runoffs the size of Kerry airport

The track evolution was huge. Latifi ended up in 5th. Vette and Perez both lost out massively by not being able to set a time when the track was rubbered in, largely through no fault of their own.

Something really needs to be done about it as it’s been happening regularly, but it’s hard to know what can be done when you’ve got these current cars and tyres that are ridiculously sensitive to temperatures and dirty air.

I’d kind of like to see them go to a early 2000s style single lap shootout on the tracks that are shorter and narrower to get a fairer outcome. They’ve established a precedent now with the sprint races that the qualifying format doesn’t have to be the same at every track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Awesome lap by Max, he had more time but for the double upshift and DRS failure. Merc to split their strat as well at the front but if Max can get away quickly then he should be good. Although the last time Lewis and Max started on the front row...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Plus you can take a couple of different lines out of turn 3, the banked corner. They could be side by side coming out of there, be interesting to see who would give way out at the next corner

I really doubt it tbh, the different lines mostly cross over each other so it'll end up being single-file through there.

I take your point and understand track evolution is a thing but is there really that much of a lap difference in track evolution if your in one of the fastest cars on the grid?

I don't have the times to hand but how many other drivers gained 2 tenths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Absolutely there is. There was the guts of a second in track evolution in Q1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The overcoming adversity part is great, the performances on track were terrible and they should be treated separately. It's not harsh to say that. His gap to Russel (when Russell was in his first year) was bigger than the gap to latifi (in Russell's third year). And nobody considers Latifi anything other than ja pay driver.

Kubica came back as a pay driver. And he's a reserve as a pay driver and I'm sure Alfa had their fingers crossed that they'd get his money and never have to use him at all let along missing fp1 and 2.

I wish him well, of course I do. But I wouldn't kid myself either.

• Advertisement

I presumed they need the cooling. I doubt it brings any advantages. The bigger the air inlets the more air they use to cool the engine the less air they have to use for downforce.

It's probably a weakness rather than any kind of strength.

Albon must be sick watching Tsunoda make a balls of it almost every week while he's watching from the garage. Have they confirmed Tsunoda for next year? Another year in another formula might be the best thing for him, assuming he has the talent.

Yet again RB has promoted a driver too soon and he's floundering. That car was good enough for 4th in Gasley's hands and Tsunoda made a balls of it.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes, surprised with the patience they’re showing Tsunoda given both his mistakes and his attitude. Albon & Gasly together in AT makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

An interesting challenge of Zandvoort: it’s by far the tightest pit-lane on the calendar. Only 40m available, compared to 60m in Monaco. Drivers talking about not being able to pit if the team beside them are.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/05/teams-braced-for-challenge-of-zandvoorts-tighter-than-monaco-pit-lane/

Given the gravel traps and lack of run-off, I’d say a safety car is pretty much nailed on which could cause absolute chaos in the pit lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The chase to be Max's teammate is a hiding to nothing in my opinion. Gasly would be better off under cutting the Albon deal and going to Williams himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You mad so instead of being in a competitive car he would go down to the second last best team on the grid. Yes they are improving and George Russell is doing amazing things in it but it would still be a downgrade. Gasly said himself over the weekend that he would like to get back to driving beside Max at Red Bull.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

3rd worst, they've jumped ahead of Alfa Romeo and starting to get a bit of McLaren style momentum. They were comfortably in the mix yesterday . While I see GAS doing great at AT, I don't see anything to say that he's improved as a wingman or as a Max beater. I think history would repeat itself if either he or Albon were ever to find themselves back at Red Bull.

He’s completely right, too. Whatever happened previously if Gasly is given the opportunity to drive one of the top cars on the grid they he should grab it with both hands. As a driver you should always be looking for a better seat.

I could see him at Alpine at some stage post Alonso retirement, especially if they can nail the car with the new regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Gasly and Ocon don't get on well together, goes back to the karting days but that's a toxic lineup waiting to happen. I can’t see them ever being teammates, besides Alpine have junior drivers of their own they can't find space for

Didn’t know that! Gaslys in a pretty precarious position then. I’ve no doubt he’ll stay in F1 but will he be able to get a good drive outside of RB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Christian Horner came out and said that a Red Bull seat is not an option for Gasly in the future.

So expect him to be announced for 2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It was noticeable in the first season of D2S that Perez and Ocon couldn’t look eachother in the eye, there was clear animosity between them…. Ocon has always appeared to me to be a bit of a petulant little brat… so maybe having an even bigger petulant brat of a teammate in Alonso keeps him in check lol!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there must have been a lot more going on behind the scenes that we didnt hear about for horner to say such a thing. gasley is a good driver , he is in the family and should be no1 choice as a back up to checo or max.

Eh yeah, Perez kept driving into him. Seriously, I was a bit surprised RB went with Perez because if you have a google you'll find him driving into a team mate half a dozen times.

If Verstappen keeps his head for the race then fair play. Some atmosphere altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Perez and Latifi starting from the pitlane

Well at least it’s not raining so we will get a race which is good.

You've gotta love Rosberg.

What do we think, lap 1 or lap 2 for the first Safety Car/Red Flag incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Problem with Max engine?

Yeah it is full of orange smoke 💥

Horner has just said it is standard procedure.

• Advertisement

I can see some fun at turn 3 throwing up all kind of fun because it seem like it’s just waiting for someone to get it wrong and you end up in the wall.

Advertisement