Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any other women here vote NO for the 8th?

Comments

Imagine all those billions of sperms, and millions of eggs that get wasted every. Every day is an apocalypse.

*insert Monthy Python sketch* Every sperm is sacred...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

You make it sound like giving your child up for adoption is an easy thing to do. I gave my child up for adoption and it has almost destroyed me. I said goodbye to my baby more than 30 years ago, and to this day I still cry like a wounded animal over our separation.

I voted yes because I know how it feels to be pregnant and unable to properly take care of a child. I also know how difficult it is to stick to the decision to place your baby with a new family once he or she is born. Giving birth unleashes powerful primal instincts and to separate a mother and baby is a form of torture, I believe. I had no idea how damaging my decision was going to be until it was too late.

I know I am only one person, and there probably are women who made the same choice as me and haven't been brought to the brink of utter despair and self harm they way I have been, but when I read/hear people say a woman "could always give the child up for adoption", I feel a great need to express how difficult and painful that decision could turn out to be. My heart will never heal, only death will relieve me from this raw and endless pain I carry with me all day, every day. I wouldn't wish this lifelong heartache on anyone and would strongly advise against giving your child up for adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I think the debate can be boiled down to whether you have more empathy for the foetus or the woman carrying it. I ultimately have more empathy for the woman, how it affects her life, mental state and future. She already has a life, thoughts, feelings etc. whereas the foetus (or blastocyst or embryo if you want to be pedantic about the early stages) has only the potential for those things.

The arguement about whether someone would abort at 30 weeks are ridiculous. After viability (roughly 25 weeks) the baby (or foetus or whatever term you like best) is being born, whether it goes to term or not, whether it lives or not. It's not abortion if it's past the point of viability.

Anyone who thinks a healthy, mentally stable woman who has carried a healthy pregnancy for seven and a half months would randomly say "hmm, I'm actually not bothered, I think I'll abort" must have very little understanding of humans or what being pregnant feels like.

And just to reiterate this for anyone whose not aware. Pregnancy is estimated from the date your last period began, so roughly 2 weeks are added to the "age" of gestation. I.e. if a woman is 6 weeks pregnant, she conceived about 4 weeks ago. We've got a 12 week limit here, that's 2 and a half months since conception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

You knew where it would lead? And you were pretty damn wrong, weren't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah the corollary of that outlook is everyone should be going round having unprotected sex at every available opportunity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

The 'her body her choice ' does not really stand up to scrutiny in my opinion especially when it was coming from Ruth Coppinger and her band of merry Feminists followers.

Applying the same logic Ruth and her ilk should have no problem with legalised prostitution and every hard drug known to man being freely available because if it's a case of 'her body her choice ' then if a Woman wants to have sex with ten Men a night as 50 quid a pop or pump a cocktail of drugs in to her that's her choice!

Somehow I think it's 'some' choices for Women which we agree with and deniying choice which we don't agree with, hypocrisy at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well done, haven't seen anyone try so hard to equate someone needing a medical procedure to someone who would decide to enter prostitution, drug talking and feminism in a while.

With arguments like this it is surprising that the No/Iownher side couldn't sway the vote their way.

Decriminalization and legalisation aren't the same thing really.

As for the second link is it just Women with the protections,will Men still be subject to the law?

I was arguing the slogan 'her body her choice ' and how silly it was,that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You can keep repeating the same nonsense over and over again. It isn't going to make it anymore correct.

What was there to misread? You claimed abortion effects everyone in society. So how does a woman's abortion effect you? Enough of the backtracking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Not this nonsense again.

One, how many abortions are carried out in Ireland each year?

Two are you are of the effects on a woman's body from carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth?

I understand the word perfectly.

I also understated thy amounts of lies, such as the fake nurse being wheeled out, people getting cancer, becoming addicts along with the very poor mental gymnastics to try and paint every one who either avail of abortion services or disagrees with them as something that they are not some of the no side, before the vote, and since as evidenced by some in this thread.

The same type of stuff that caused the no side votes and resulted in repeal being voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Except the example given in the equivalence test was pure nonsense, as was pointed out. Someone 'having sex with 10 men a night and pumping herself up with drugs,' depending on the drugs in the latter case, is violating the law. Why is that the law? Because of the potential impact on society as a whole from supporting the criminal drug industry. Abortion is not illegal in Ireland, except after the 12 week interval in some cases, which is why 12 weeks should be extended to 24 like the rest of the EU. There are some good reasons for extending it especially the opportunity for better scanning for abnormalities and defects in the fetus. Also, a woman can still travel to the UK after the 12th week, so it's silly that you can take a road trip to NI and get an abortion at week 13. (Yes, I know they're dragging their heels in NI, but progress is being made.)

The onerous, misogynstic 8th amendment, was repealed by a majority of the Irish voting public (a large majority), so society is o.k. with it, and the subsequent laws that have been passed regulating it. The old arguments we're hearing on this thread were all gone over in depth in the abortion thread, and were found wanting there, and by the populace as a whole when the referendum was voted on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I voted Yes for many reasons, but the main one was I felt it was an issue that just shouldn't be in the constitution.

The current legal position is pretty perfect as far as I can see. If the people feel strongly enough about the issue, then they can elect a government who will change the legislation to restrict abortion (or indeed elect a government to make the legislation more liberal). If an unexpected issue arises (the equivalent of the A/B/C cases) then the Dail can address it quickly without the courts/AG having to spend years examining it's constitutionality. Perfect outcome, the problem was always that having one non-legalese sentence in the Constitution caused a continuing mess.

That's an absolutely heartbreaking read and I wish there was anything I could do to take your pain away.

But take solace in the fact the baby you brought into this world was given a chance.

It may not take away your pain, but you did something so selfless that most couldn't even imagine.

Again, I wish you nothing but the best.

If the Dail voted to raise the limit to 24 weeks and drop the 3 day 'cooling off' period, would you support those changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

'Tis a shame you didn't volunteer to take in the newborn, raise it and pay for it until it was 18, seeing as you feel so strongly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How is wanting autonomy over your own body nonsensical?

It's nonsensical if you're a woman, doncha know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

You might find that if you remove the word 'public' nobody (sane) will argue with you.

Or are people carrying out abortions on flights you've been on or in the streets youve been traveling on?

Nobody has a problem with people getting dental surgery either but again it's not likely to happen on the flight from Shannon to Luton or at the table next to you while having a meal out for what 'most' people would understand to be reasonable...reasons!

Like can you honestly not see how you could say 'my body, my choice' but still understand it's not acceptable to take a massive dump on the footpath walking to work, but would be ok in an appropriate location, ie a toilet.

He’s arguing against complete bodily autonomy. Which I agree with and I voted for the 8th. Like most people I don’t support late term abortion. I do support early term abortions.

It's been explained better and concisely by others already what people ment when they say it so I'm not going over it again, so you may by all means read back over the thread to refresh.

Do you honestly not understand why you can't (shouldn't) masturbate in public, or take a dump in public or get an abortion in public, or get open heart surgery in public, etc, etc..

Remove the word 'public' and it completely changes the context completely but you keep specifically saying public 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You are forgetting one thing nobody is stopping anyone from masturbating in public however there will be consequences such as being arrears for indecent exposure. It is the same with the choice not to take the vaccine a choice I support but there will be consequences such as not being allowed into a public building, pub, gig, or restaurant without being vaccinated.

Bodily autonomy means a person's ownes their own body and can't be forced to do anything but that does not mean there are no consequences for their choice.

'my body, my choice' is a cathchy slogan, handy for getting a point across quickly and sharply

It is not a deep detailed explanation of the concept, with a belief that you are supposed to understand or accept every complexity and scenario behind it. If people want to understand the deeper meanings behind the slogan then it is on them to look in to it themselves.

Somebody looking for the ability to decide what happens to their body is not demanding that you agree with them. You need not get an abortion if you feel it is morally wrong for whatever reason but the main slant is that it is not for you to decide as you are not effected. It's not your body, so you shouldn't get a say.

Society doesn't carry the child/baby/foetus/clump of cells, the father doesn't carry the (insert term of choice), the grandparents and extended family don't carry the (insert term of choice). Just the mother, the person who deserves to be able to make that choice wether it's a difficult choice or not, for whatever reason they deem it necessary and regardless of what the rest of us who don't carry that burden think.

No one is for abortion and I imagine for the majority it's a hard decision to make. I don't stereotype those who voted no and realise they have deeply held beliefs.

The only no voter I would take issue with are the creeps who were holding pretend funerals for babies outside maternity hospitals and harassing women.

It's more likely to be that someone exposing themselves in public is the issue.

But it doesn't impact you so why do you get a shout in the matter.

• Advertisement

It's not, people should have full ownership over their own bodies, my body my choice, that does not mean there are no consequences for the choices someone makes. It's an argument of every decreasing circle and whataboutery going round and round making the same point over and over again without getting anywhere.

Advertisement