Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Not mine, Not mine but hopefully one day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I watched that last week and of course thought of your boat. Yours will come out in rather better condition than that one when you do eventually find it.
    Scary just how far gone that hull was. Some of the YT comments criticized wooden boats for failing like that but it can happen just as easily on GRP hulls that have been poorly maintained/repaired!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

When will you be able to get back out searching Fergal?
    That boat was so amazing I'd sacrifice my car into the lough if it would give up the boat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

First of what looks like a boat found in over a year not a great image but I will go over it again next chance I get, can you spot it. :)

6d3e013b4e662c52205bd537c54308c5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Every time I see this thread has a new post I expect good news. Fingers crossed for you fergal.b! (the image means nothing to me though)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

See something there alright, pointing towards 10:30, looks the right shape, and looks like it has a cockpit where you'd want one to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

dulpit wrote: »
    Every time I see this thread has a new post I expect good news. Fingers crossed for you fergal.b! (the image means nothing to me though)

At least that's all you have to put up with, I've only come across this today and it's been a whirlwind of emotion. Best of luck with the search Fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

When will you get to investigate this finding? I've wondered has enjoyment derived from the thrill of the search overtaken the disappointment of losing the boat yet?

Car99 wrote: »
    When will you get to investigate this finding? I've wondered has enjoyment derived from the thrill of the search overtaken the disappointment of losing the boat yet?

I will be back out this weekend if the weather allows it and will go over the boat from different angles to get a range of different images I didn't see it when I was out on the water only when I got home and played it back on the sonar viewer, I don't get much enjoyment or thrill of the search looking at small screens for hours on end while out on the water and then doing the same when I get home :( the first few boats were exciting to find but now with near 40 it's getting a bit OTT :confused:

Pat McManus and the guy's dived on another one just south of Rindoon point, in the right area but not to be :( so on we go with the process of elimination :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭josip

fergal.b wrote: »
    I will be back out this weekend if the weather allows it and will go over the boat from different angles to get a range of different images I didn't see it when I was out on the water only when I got home and played it back on the sonar viewer, I don't get much enjoyment or thrill of the search looking at small screens for hours on end while out on the water and then doing the same when I get home :( the first few boats were exciting to find but now with near 40 it's getting a bit OTT :confused:

Pat McManus and the guy's dived on another one just south of Rindoon point, in the right area but not to be :( so on we go with the process of elimination :)

Do you need someone to dive to confirm or is there an underwater camera on a cable option that would provide sufficient detail?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Do you need someone to dive to confirm or is there an underwater camera on a cable option that would provide sufficient detail?

I have a camera on a cable and an ROV that I can send down the problem with the Ree is that it can be very cloudy so you have to be right on top of something before you see it and that makes it hard to direct the rov in the right direction, the divers work great by touch and have better lighting it's also good training for them to search different boats. When I get good images on the sonar I can measure the boat and that helps a lot to determine if it is worth looking at if it's too wide or too long I won't bother with it.

47375772_10209841787879724_7711993197378928640_n_zpsyqq5jcid.jpg

A few more images of the new boat found, it looks to be a 12 foot lake boat :(

8c709113a595b99cfd31a3b03abc630d.jpg

e572c3eb48743021a825e0aac938a7a6.jpg

3160e880bb2bd34c091fcd49463d1823.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Everytime I get a notification of this thread and see that you have posted, i hope it will be the "one" where you announce that you have found your boat.
    Don't give up, I admire your determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Looks like it's only in 27 ft of water when I was fit and younger I could snorkel that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Does anyone know anybody in the NSA? Get them to do a few passes of the lake with one of their spy satellites....Fergal will be no time finding it then :D

• Joking aside, I wonder if you got onto the engineering departments of the various universities could they work out the various factors at play when it sank? As is if buoyancy is x and current is y, the boat should be in this section of the lake type of thing.

Seems it would be a good project for a lecturer to set for a few students with different scenarios.

Or alternatively, is there anything in the boat material (engine block I suppose) that they could search for that sonar wouldn't necessarily pick up, what type of equipment would be needed to find an engine underwater etc, if such a search is possible.

Maybe they are idiotic suggestions on my part but God I feel for you, I really hope I read good news on this thread some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Joking aside, I wonder if you got onto the engineering departments of the various universities could they work out the various factors at play when it sank? As is if buoyancy is x and current is y, the boat should be in this section of the lake type of thing.

Seems it would be a good project for a lecturer to set for a few students with different scenarios.

Or alternatively, is there anything in the boat material (engine block I suppose) that they could search for that sonar wouldn't necessarily pick up, what type of equipment would be needed to find an engine underwater etc, if such a search is possible.

Maybe they are idiotic suggestions on my part but God I feel for you, I really hope I read good news on this thread some day.

Maybe your onto something, you could always try one of those strong magnets that people use magnet fishing. you would soon find out if it had an engine if so investigate it more if not move onto the next one.

• SCOL wrote: »
    Maybe your onto something, you could always try one of those strong magnets that people use magnet fishing. you would soon find out if it had an engine if so investigate it more if not move onto the next one.

I'm not going to lie, I spent a considerable time yesterday after I posted that googling underwater metal detectors, including magnetic ones as you suggest. Seems to be some pretty advanced ones you can drag behind your boat.

I'm wary of offering (further) idiotic suggestions but I wonder could the OP join up with (say) an archeological department to maybe fund one? I'd support a crowdfunding drive for one, all the moreso if it was being donated to a college or historical society afterwards.

Anyhow, don't want to drag this thread off topic, good luck OP!

I'm not going to lie, I spent a considerable time yesterday after I posted that googling underwater metal detectors, including magnetic ones as you suggest. Seems to be some pretty advanced ones you can drag behind your boat.

I'm wary of offering (further) idiotic suggestions but I wonder could the OP join up with (say) an archeological department to maybe fund one? I'd support a crowdfunding drive for one, all the moreso if it was being donated to a college or historical society afterwards.

Anyhow, don't want to drag this thread off topic, good luck OP!

I am open to all idiotic ideas at this stage I will even try dowsing :D I have looked at magnetometers that you use a tow-fish behind the boat and even "satellite nuclear magnetic imaging" like they used on "oak island" :) my problem is not with my gear as I am well able to find boats and can even tell if it has a metal engine as it will show up brighter on the sonar my problem is the amount of boats I am finding, up to 40 now and I am only looking on the navigation line and to each side of it I'm sure if I went around the shoals and islands the count would be a lot higher.
    When I built her I worked out how much floatation I would need to keep the V8 and gearbox afloat and even if the whole boat was filled with air it still would not float so even with the few spare lifejackets in the bow I don't think they would have made much of a difference :eek: when she went down it was fast and I was pulled down by the kill cord it was only when the lifejacket went off that I popped back up. My big problem is not having a point of reference on land the last thing I saw before the hailstones hit was a beached yacht at the entrance to Lecarrow that was about marker 6 and I followed in the other boats wake for a while after that speeding up and slowing down according to the waves and head on wind so hard to know what distance was traveled. I turn on my sonar from Coosan point and record to the top of the lake, that boat I found last week was right in the middle so I must have passed by it a thousand times over the years it just depends on what angle you hit it at as to weather or not you see it.

Screenshot%202019-10-30%20at%2008.40.17_zpsfmemuxij.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭josip

Since the boat is that heavy, my gut feeling would be that it's still wherever it went down and wouldn't have moved with currents or anything.
    I'd go back to your best estimate of where it went down and spend all your time looking there.
    "Go with your gut".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

that boat I found last week was right in the middle so I must have passed by it a thousand times over the years it just depends on what angle you hit it at as to weather or not you see it.

Screenshot%202019-10-30%20at%2008.40.17_zpsfmemuxij.png
    To me that didn't look like a lake boat either

Sorry again guy's but believe it or not it hurt's me more than you to keep posting no good news :(;) over the weekend I had the diver down to check on one of the speedboats I had found but unfortunately it turned out to be a "Broom Aquarius" maybe Old's Cool is playing games with me as my current boat is called Aquarius :rolleyes: Through the help of facebook the owner was found, it turns out the boat sunk 28 years ago after hitting a rock while in the trough of a wave.
    Big thanks to the Athlone sub-aqua club and James Donnellan for checking it out for me, on we go.

ff1c287906ae6bb90b49bb3c0e74e310.jpg

9f87c522f43c0c46e8294e8ac78cda41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Sorry again guy's but believe it or not it hurt's me more than you to keep posting no good news :(;) over the weekend I had the diver down to check on one of the speedboats I had found but unfortunately it turned out to be a "Broom Aquarius" maybe Old's Cool is playing games with me as my current boat is called Aquarius :rolleyes: Through the help of facebook the owner was found, it turns out the boat sunk 28 years ago after hitting a rock while in the trough of a wave.
    Big thanks to the Athlone sub-aqua club and James Donnellan for checking it out for me, on we go.

ff1c287906ae6bb90b49bb3c0e74e310.jpg

9f87c522f43c0c46e8294e8ac78cda41.jpg

Did his watch say 16m?

I would’ve thought there’d still be natural light at that depth. Shows how bloody claustrophobic diving could be!!

• fergal.b wrote: »
    I am open to all idiotic ideas at this stage I will even try dowsing :D I have looked at magnetometers that you use a tow-fish behind the boat and even "satellite nuclear magnetic imaging" like they used on "oak island" :) my problem is not with my gear as I am well able to find boats and can even tell if it has a metal engine as it will show up brighter on the sonar my problem is the amount of boats I am finding, up to 40 now and I am only looking on the navigation line and to each side of it I'm sure if I went around the shoals and islands the count would be a lot higher.
    When I built her I worked out how much floatation I would need to keep the V8 and gearbox afloat and even if the whole boat was filled with air it still would not float so even with the few spare lifejackets in the bow I don't think they would have made much of a difference :eek: when she went down it was fast and I was pulled down by the kill cord it was only when the lifejacket went off that I popped back up. My big problem is not having a point of reference on land the last thing I saw before the hailstones hit was a beached yacht at the entrance to Lecarrow that was about marker 6 and I followed in the other boats wake for a while after that speeding up and slowing down according to the waves and head on wind so hard to know what distance was traveled. I turn on my sonar from Coosan point and record to the top of the lake, that boat I found last week was right in the middle so I must have passed by it a thousand times over the years it just depends on what angle you hit it at as to weather or not you see it.

I know this is an obvious point but surely a metal detector would take an element of human error out of it? As in, it will catch everything whereas with sonar you are relying on the sonar catching the object at the right angle and your eyes then seeing the object on the screen when you review it? If anything a metal detector might return too much stuff down there...

I have to say the stuff you have found is amazing (to me, anyhow), I think there's a great TG4 (style) documentary in this search if you've kept footage and logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What did the owner think when you contacted him? And how did you find him?

Thargor wrote: »
    What did the owner think when you contacted him? And how did you find him?

He had an idea where it was as it was under tow after hitting the rock and they were sitting on a barge watching her go down, his insurance payed out so I guess he was happy with that :)

It was posted on this facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/717182844986491/?multi_permalinks=4341310205907052&notif_id=1625482466236213&notif_t=group_activity&ref=notif and he or someone that knows him recognised the boat.

Not quite the pirate look I always wanted but at least " I can see clearly now the cataract is gone" Hopefully I will get back to the sonar again soon now that the fog has been lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Speedy recovery, Fergal!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Holy **** Fergal!

Was under the knife myself not so long ago, I wish you a good recovery!

• Advertisement

Still on the hunt 🙄

I spent 7 hours doing a run back over all the boats I found so far to see if anything new popped up but no joy 😔 Not to worry I will keep on going till she decides to show her self.

This is a 40 foot boat just off Hare Island looks like a big debris field so might have been carrying a cargo.

Advertisement