Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Ice Hockey player Resigns in Protest Over Vaccine Passports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Too many pucks to the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

Irish ice hockey?

Without vaccines we'd be stuck in limbo forever.

Get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I wouldn't want to be on a team with somebody that stupid

There are both women's and men's national teams. There is also a league but It has to play be played in Belfast due to no rink in the republic of Ireland

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fair play to him, sticking by his principles. Whether they are warranted, only time will tell but elements of the new law doesn't sit easy with me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Publicity seeking moron.

The choice was

A - open up with restrictions on unvaccinated people

B - don't open.

Maybe the fool would like us to go the UK trajectory?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

That was not the choice; that is a false dichotomy. The Government could easily have made use of PCR and/or antigen testing which would have both opened society and avoided discrimination.

The way the Irish government decided to implement this purposefully excludes people on the basis of age (who have not yet had access to vaccines or are not yet fully vaccinated) and/or underlying medical conditions (those who cannot take the vaccines due to other health issues). It is also coercive to those who do not wish to take the vaccines at this time regardless of their reasons; I personally believe everyone eligible should get their vaccine and I have tried to convince people who disagree with me but I certainly don't believe that cutting people off from normal societal activities in order to coerce their compliance is proportional or acceptable in our society.

We should be having a serious discussion about what kind of society we want and if we're really happy with the precedents that are being set right now. Or, you know, we can just call each other morons and feel superior.

The vaccine passport implementation will be suboptimally executed, for sure, but your man still comes across as a looper.

• Advertisement

he comes across in the article as a guy that needs help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Irish ice hockey player", lol.

Next up, the sub goalkeeper from the Ballincollig junior B hurling team and the checkout lady from Lidl in Carlow discuss the deepening crisis in Afghanistan.

It is a real thing Irish ice hockey player. I am one myself, I just don't play for the national team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Being really and being relevant are two different things I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Absolutely devastating for this country with our pedigree in Ice Hockey to lose such a important and iconic sportsman such as Niall whathishame, I'm sure the Irish government are immediately re-considering their stance

Going by the comments its no wonder the government have got away with imposing restrictions on us for so long.

Rather than making smart comments maybe accept that people have differing views and appreciate the fact he felt strong enough to do something about it.

Yes he's not a household name but that doesn't mean his decision was any less difficult to make.

He's a nutter. Plain and simple.

Maybe if his opinions didn't mirror those of conspiracy theorists and freemen they may carry more weight but at present he just comes across as someone that believes YouTube too much.

Ireland isn't the only country to separate people when it comes to covid and indoor events either.

He really is skating on thin ice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I dont know what is 'conspiracy' and nutter about this. This is actually happening. People are being segregated and required to produce certificates to carry out every day activities. I dont know this guy and of course people can ridicule him because ice hockey has no standing in Ireland but the opinion he expresses is very valid. I am vaccinated and I assume I will receive this cert too but I will refuse to carry it and produce it for every day activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Antigen testing has a very high false negatives rates. Antigen testing is no use for controlling spread at events or indoor settings. Its only real use would be in workplaces where social distancing is an issue(food processing) or care home where you mass test to see if there is infection in the area you test. It's really only suitable as a rapid mass testing resource to detect outbreaks which should be confirmed by PCR testing

PCR testing has a 24-48 hour turn around as well because of cost and logistics its not really suitable for using it as a method to prevent disease spread in indoor settings where social distancing will not be completely adhered to.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

He's not a nutter, he just has differing views to you. Yes they may be on the extreme side but it doesn't mean people should mock him for taking a stand.

Afaik, the other eu countries will accept a negative text or a vaccine cert. We weren't given that option. That in itself raises serious questions. But as I've said before it wouldn't be the first time in this pandemic that topics once diverted to the ct forum end up being implemented with very little resistance.

You dont know what conspiracy and nutter about being anti vax and believing it's all a power play by the 'global world order'? or believing that it's fascism to request proof of people before entering a bar? Presumable the chap also takes issue with the segregation of under 18s from over 18s when it comes to consuming alcohol and tobacco? He presumable refuses to produce proof of his age and identity when entering a pub or traveling.

Lastly, anyone that incorrectly mentions the Garda oath, is a freeman in my experience.

I dont know what you're talking about. I am replying to him being against the covid cert for every day activities. I didnt do a full bio on him. I am discussing the opinion not the man.

No, it's not a serious question. Other countries require you to produce a pcr or antigen test or vaccine cert to enter the cinema. Ireland does not. Other countries require the same to stay in a hotel. Ireland doesn't.

His views are those of lunatics. Only lunatics believe it's the work of a secretive world order. Only nutters are anti vax in general and only nutters are opposed to covid testing and suggest asymptomatic people don't spread it.

Therefore, he's a nutter. That's my view

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Antigen tests have been shown to be highly accurate with symptomatic cases and therefore do quite a good job of helping in situations where someone is unsure whether they have a cold or mild symptoms of covid. Their effectiveness drops off with asymptomatic cases but with frequent use of rapid tests you we would likely catch many cases much earlier. Suspected cases resulting from antigen tests are then confirmed using PCR tests. Rapid tests are being used to enable the opening of other European countries in a manner that does not segregate society. We are the outlier here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That's exactly what it means, and he should be mocked mercilessly for behaving like an inconsiderate cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If you have Covid symptoms, you really shouldn't be going out and about, acting as normal.

So you take an antigen test and it's positive and you go for a PCR and it's positive.... that's all very well, they work, it prevented onward transmission.

But if the antigen test is negative and you assume therefore you have a cold/hay fever etc... then that is the issue (assuming it was a false negative)

I assume that's the reasoning behind not using antigen testing for indoor dining.

PCR is far more reliable, but I don't think we can have the government paying for a PCR test for you to go to the pub. Testing centers would be swamped with people on a Thursday/Friday looking for a test so they can go on the piss at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

he hopes in the future he can rejoin his team

Well ireland dont want you anymore go join a hockey antivac team

Guys a nob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He may be but last year we ruled out MHQ as something we didn't do, yet here we are. They are discriminatory and exclude people who through no fault of their own cannot get vaccinated. The use of them has been forced on government and leaving the policing of them to the hospitality industry shows up the flaws in the concept. One would hope they will be very short lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

PCR testing is more reliable for testing whether someone is infected, but that's not the point of antigen testing. The point of antigen testing is to reduce the number of people who would have gone to an event and infected other people.

Since you acknowledge that PCR testing for social activities is not practical, the only alternatives to antigen testing is restrictions (barring the unvaccinated or barring everybody).

Since NPHET has the luxury of recommending policy regardless of fairness or practicality, of course they will come down against antigen testing and in favour of restrictions. That doesn't make the policy right, morally or epidemiologically.

NPHET guidance and the closure of indoor dining and pubs has not stopped us from getting the sixth highest 7-day average case rate in the EU.

edit: why are we not requiring children to be antigen-tested before indoor dining? It makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Gives another player a chance to represent Ireland. Didnt even know we had a national team. Its amazing how stupid some people are , I could see societies of the fu

So you didn't read the article then? Because it's in his letter.

It's not the fault of a teenager they aren't 18 either. Still can't get served and asked for Id by the hospitality sector

Sorry, you lost me at teenager in this "analogy".

• Advertisement

I'm sure if you concentrate, the very simple comparison will become clear.

Getting off track lads.

No I hadnt read it, but I have now and I cant say I agree with most of his opinions. I do agree with his stance on vaccine certs though. I think its a bad decision for a number of reasons. But the one that stands out to me is the moral one...

As in ... what happened to we're all in this together? We all put with lockdowns (grudgingly) to protect the high risks groups (the old). Now they are vaccinated and go back to normal while the low risk groups (the young) are allowed to serve them while wearing masks all day while not being allowed to avail of those freedoms themselves? Thats beyond crap and utterly hypocritical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Exactly - the person does sound like an anti-vaxxer, but there are hundreds of thousands of adults in Ireland who are unable to be vaccinated soon even though they'd like to be. How is this fair? What happened to being in it together? Obviously giving people a chance to use antigen testing like in several countries in Europe would be a far more equitable approach.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well it looks like there's a place going now....

Is it hundreds of thousands?

And was there not talk of some provision for people who couldn't get vaccinated (as opposed to not wanting to)?

At 18-25 you still were expected to produce ID for pubs, off licences, and restaurants.

If only they were brave enough to enforce such rules on MMR, in schools.

And we're at this point because a subset of society were arseh0les and refused to do basic tasks to stop spread.

No masks, no social distancing, parties, packing pubs at Christmas, and going against every request. Just coincidence, I guess, that there's such a massive overlap with the anti Vax/Science squad and those being impacted.

Pretty much everyone will be vaccinated in a few weeks but, as usual in Ireland, the pub rules society

We're at this point because we have a very rapidly spreading variant. Christmas was not just about idiots, many let their guard down and enjoyed themselves as if it were normal. They wouldn't be human if they didn't. It's a whole lot more than the narrow prism you're looking through. Hospitality is as simple as sitting in a café with a coffee and friends, a pleasure for people of all ages.

A rapidly spreading variant which can be controlled by following the same basic steps which these people have been ignoring for 18 months now.

People decided to listen to uneducated politicians rather than medical experts. There was ample evidence that the government was bowing to pressure and plenty of air time showing how they were ignoring the advice of actual experts.

Polls showed that the majority of people were against the opening up. Especially given our terrible ventilation in indoor venues

But it was that coupled with a subset of the population who refused the most basic of precautions. I know hospital workers who are refusing to get vaccinated FFS.

I have wider family refusing all along to wear masks and lie in stores about a medical exemption.

We are facing what we are facing because people are still wearing face shields instead of masks, letting their nose over their masks, not wearing any at all, and stupid things like this.

People are having garden parties with non vaccinated attendees, crowding beaches, ignoring social distancing in outdoor venues already.

So, yeah, if people are not going to respect the danger and get vaccinated then screw them. And as for those who want to get vaccinated how long do they really have to wait?

Not everyone is as sensible and all-knowing as you. Leave them be, it's wasted energy being outraged at anyone. All you can do is control your own behaviour.

Which is why we have a government. They are to implement the rules by which society lives.

One of those rules is Vaccine Passports and Digital Certs to participate in society, while we are under a pandemic.

Simples

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The Yellow-vest people agree with the guy's decision. Hopefully, he gets the help needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement