Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Funny boat pics,videos and jokes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Bardsey Sound can be interesting, I was heading through with the kids, a nice current under me after a rough enough crossing, making about 10.5kts (first time seeing double digit SOG on my little first 25.7) when I spun through about 120 degrees, I though it was my concentration going after being hammered about for the last few hours, kids a bit freaked out so I started the engine and took in the kite, then it happened again, turned out to be whirlpools just starting to form and not quite breaking the surface yet, apparently it gets very lively in the right conditions!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

fenris wrote: »
    Bardsey Sound can be interesting...

I remember sailing from Pwllheli to Holyhead and somebody f**ked up their tide timing. Went through Bardsey Sound, turning north for Holyhead and spent a couple of hours getting nowhere. At one stage we were sailing backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Bardsey can be horrible. Another casualty coming through the Sound back in the ‘80’s was a serious leg/knee injury to Clare Hogan on ‘Angel’, owned by her father TP ‘Tommy’ Hogan & Earnest Goulding. Sadly Clare, a former Commodore of the Alfred, died in the last week (April 10). Angel (previously Angel of Islington) was a Dick Carter design and unusually at that time was a laminated hull.
    (Sorry for off-topic, move to 'Chat'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As a nipper I made the mistake of bedding down in the forecabin returning from an ISORA to Pwllheli in a Sigma 38.. got as far as Bardsey and was rudely awoken on the ceiling as the boat came off a wave... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The standard of jokes had somewhat decline lately, haven't they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would you say they've taken a dive?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

IMG-20210417-WA0003.jpg

Screenshot-20210420-085923-Samsung-Internet.jpg

If only it was that easy

Screenshot-20210523-121626-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20210527-194033-Samsung-Internet.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

BowWow wrote: »
    Reminded me of Jim Poole RIP, lost at Bardsey Sound, ISORA Race 1988(?)

(Not sure of year)

As a slam dunk to stop the humour rolling in a thread titled "Funny..." , Masterful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Seems like anyone can do fibreglass repairs these days. :D

b8ccfd2e39a67cd24e5bd03b658f8ef2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You'll prob need to zoom in a bit...... but our fleet starting on a beat, meanwhile the cruisers about half a mile away on a dead run in the same direction.

The wind was just mad yesterday afternoon!!!

What's with the Irish pennant? Is that the line boat?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You'll prob need to zoom in a bit...... but our fleet starting on a beat, meanwhile the cruisers about half a mile away on a dead run in the same direction.

The wind was just mad yesterday afternoon!!!

I was out for a sail yesterday morning and gave up around 1pm. The wind was nuts as it did not know what it wanted to do! One minute an off shore wind, next minute calm, next minute an on shore wind....and repeat. Could see boats a hundred metres or so away with different wind conditions all the time. Ended up motoring back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mick Tator wrote: »
    What's with the Irish pennant? Is that the line boat?

That's the start line for the Flying Fifteens in the foreground.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I used to love that scene with Laurie Smith..

I remember being at the London Boat Show in I think 1996/7 (just before the Whitbread where Smith was captioning Silk Cut). There was a media reception thing, hand shakes etc, and upon seeing him there in all the pomp, my dad turned to me and whispered

"Would you look at that f****k*n eeejit"

I was nearly in tears with the laughter......

Screenshot-20210621-090349-Samsung-Internet.jpg

dunno what is going on here

• Advertisement

Cape 31

That'll be Howth next year

Help needed!!

Downpour

• Advertisement

Don't know about the MacGregors but dead right about SY A. Saw her through the mist moored off Trieste recently and she is truly ugly.

Advertisement