Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Choose

I was successful last year and it was my second time applying.
    In 2019 they said they would announced in Q1 and we found out April 1st
    so I imagine it will be the same for you this year

I can still feel the stress of waiting in reading your comments

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blizzardofone

How's everybody holding up? The wait is looong

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BuuuuuuuuuB

Very hard times friends.
    I hope it pass quickly.

Choose wrote: »

Best of luck
    Thank you for your words. Tell us about the next steps if we were successful. We hope so. What happens after your recievrd the conditional award.

Well if you get a conditional award, and your transcripts match what you say, then I presume it would change to unconditional. The university had to sign off on some bits too.

• Advertisement

Well if you get a conditional award, and your transcripts match what you say, then I presume it would change to unconditional. The university had to sign off on some bits too.

what type of transcripts they need? and how you send it, via the website or mail?

How time they take to change from conditional to unconditional?

your grades from university
    sent by email
    cant remember how long it took

Anybody had any updates? Not long to go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 OGrady2212

None! Checking every day though...!

No new, checking every day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 AMS_theother1

No updates. No change in status. Still reads "Ready for Review".
    What about you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottyboy13dub

No change in my application either.. 12 more days until the advertised, official result deadline tho!! Hopefully we won't have to wait much longer than that :( Waiting for these results during a lock-down is especially excruciating in my POV

Not long now for us all!

I think it will be 1sr April.

I think it will be 1sr April.

What makes you think it'll be April?

Does anyone have previous experience with applying, who might be able to shed light on the process of finding out? Do they email us with the exact result we've been awarded, or is it just a notification of update to our application in the online system? If its just a direct email, I think I'll need a stiff drink before having the nerve to open it...!

Best of luck

Can you please help us?

OGrady2212 wrote: »
    Does anyone have previous experience with applying, who might be able to shed light on the process of finding out? Do they email us with the exact result we've been awarded, or is it just a notification of update to our application in the online system? If its just a direct email, I think I'll need a stiff drink before having the nerve to open it...!

A friend said it's an email with a 'there's an update on the system' type message for you to go on and check!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sspandangler

OGrady2212 wrote: »
    Second time applicant here. I applied in 2019 and didn't get it. I was told I didn't make it through to the second round on Thursday 7th February at like 20 past 1 in the afternoon. I remember because I was waiting for a lecture and I got an email from someone named Mariana. The subject was "2019 Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship, Unsuccessful Application". So you don't even need to open it to see the result. Certainly was a gut punch though :( hahaha. It's different this year, as back in 2019 even my friends who did eventually get in, were told they go to the second round by February 13th. It's way more stressful this time, no communication at all. I guess you can only sit and wait lol.

Second time applicant here. I applied in 2019 and didn't get it. I was told I didn't make it through to the second round on Thursday 7th February at like 20 past 1 in the afternoon. I remember because I was waiting for a lecture and I got an email from someone named Mariana. The subject was "2019 Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship, Unsuccessful Application". So you don't even need to open it to see the result. Certainly was a gut punch though :( hahaha. It's different this year, as back in 2019 even my friends who did eventually get in, were told they go to the second round by February 13th. It's way more stressful this time, no communication at all. I guess you can only sit and wait lol.

That's awful - what a shocking way to be told! I've everything crossed for you getting through this time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sspandangler

That's awful - what a shocking way to be told! I've everything crossed for you getting through this time!
    aww thanks! I hope so too and have everything crossed for the lot of ye. I'm hoping the pandemic means that less people applied, and the fact that all current awardees just got a raise this year, is a good sign that there's a healthy budget for them to work with.

Jesus, that is shockingly harsh - given the amount of work the application takes, and how much you can end up investing in the application... I'm sorry that happened to you, and really hope it works out for you this year. Thanks for sharing, much appreciated. X

I emailed the council asking if they had any updates regarding results and they replied with the following:

"the council is not in a position to share any further update as to when the outcome of the call will be announced"

do with this information as you please O.o

I emailed the council asking if they had any updates regarding results and they replied with the following:

"the council is not in a position to share any further update as to when the outcome of the call will be announced"

do with this information as you please O.o

Ooh interesting - what do you think that means? It'll be early / late?

I'm just holding out that it'll be next week at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 IRCStressAcct

Hey everyone,

After lurking on this thread for a bit I finally made a Boards account just to rant about this whole process lol.

It sounds from the above message like they might be late in posting the results of the assessment?

Bit worrying that they wouldn't be able to give an indication of the timeline now, considering we're days away from the planned deadline...

Considering the ridiculous time investment involved in applying (I must've spent the better part of a month on it...), I'd really have expected more communication tbh :-(

We have to wait till 1st April. We can do nothing, just waiting and see. I hope no delay in the deadline. Just a week friends.

Somebody else previously emailed then regarding results a couple of weeks ago to which the council (roughly) replied with "the applications are on track for the advertised deadline" --> so my thought process at this late stage with their reply is that potentially it could be late? Because why not just say they are on track as they did before you know?

It's pure speculation on my end tho, they could (and hopefully will be) advertised by next Wednesday..

They 100% should've been more engaging with applicants this year due to COVID situation, as things are already upside down and many people don't have the luxury to turn down job offers, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bibble123

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing okay, the past week has been tough going. I know today in particular I really hoped I'd get the email and keep jumping everytime something pops into my inbox. I'm so glad I found this thread though - I applied for the AHSS stream under the PhD funding and have been so worried about my status remaining as 'ready for review' and not having heard about the first round outcomes. I made an account just to link in and send you guys my best wishes.

It's just been really tough going waiting - I think not being on campus had made it feel so isolating and I haven't been able to vent with other PhDs who applied for it too. It might interest you guys to know that a few weeks ago I emailed my HEA's support office for the IRC asking about whether they had heard anything and they said they hadn't been informed about any delay, so hopefully that's something??

Hopefully we'll hear on the earlier end of this week, it would be so cruel to have to go into April without knowing. Sending out good vibes to you all!!

Great news bibble123.
    If you can mail the IRC today about any updates. I mailed them more than one time with no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 sepiolida

I am completely useless at work today...just been refreshing the portal and my emails all morning.

I did go through the previous threads from the last 5 years to try to decipher a pattern....surprise there's none! :(

2020: 29/6 - Monday
    2019: 1/4 - Monday
    2018: 27/3 - Tuesday
    2017: 23/3 - Thursday
    2016: 19/7 - Tuesday (Council seemed to be a bit of a joke that year, so maybe ignore!)

Advertisement