Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar panel

• 21-04-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

What would be a small enough solar panel to keep 2 12v batterys in series charged up I've just ordered a 24v charge controller box thing I'm not sure what solar panel to buy to go with it.cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I fitted two 175w victron monocrystalline solar panels that should keep me off the grid running the diesel night heater and charging the 3 110 amp batteries where ever we go, these panels are made for our weather and work well on a dull day. You will have to work out what amp hour batteries you have and what you use when you know this give these guy's a call and they will sort you out. https://euromotive.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Cheers fergal I've 2 110ah batterys it's more to keep them charged then run things.i want something not to big if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Measure the system voltage, if they are in parallel the voltage will be 12V not 24

Measure the system voltage, if they are in parallel the voltage will be 12V not 24

In series daisy chained to give 24v to the starter

Should these be run in series or parallel to give me 24v I've attached a picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 simbav

what controller do you have?

Got it of e bay looks more decent then the one that came with the kit

Here's a pic

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Depends on what gear you have, in a series you add the voltage together and in parallel you add the amperages together. Have a read of this https://www.explorist.life/solar-panels-series-vs-parallel/

Here's a pic

- Maximum voltage input: 36V
    Only in parallel with this controller. For the Irish weather I recommend MPPT charger controller.

• Advertisement

I've 2 panels and a charge controller it's only to keep the batterys topped up

Parallel is + to minus then to charge controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Parallel is + to minus then to charge controller?

No, all the +'s and all the -'s on the charge controller

I've 2 other charge controllers would any of these work

Fake description for the left controller. Both controller's must be working.

Both are brand new in the box why is it a fake description?

It's too small controller. Never seen PWR controller 100A. Only MPPT controller 100A, but it's cost about 500E.

I've no doubt one of these is suitable thanks for your advise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd stand well back before putting 100 amps through one of those yokes

60 watt solar panel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement