Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish media hysteria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'Not falling for it'! Who's trying to trick us?

You tell me.

Let me show you something...

Front page of the BBC news site right now.
    Most read stories.
    Etc.

F09621-B0-6-E52-4385-AD90-009-F7881-B3-E0.png
    38912463-B17-D-42-DB-8-DF5-FA069-B17-C93-A.png
    81-B402-E0-6-E56-4-AB0-A05-B-AEE89-A4-B060-B.png

Metro:

2548-E980-59-B9-42-F5-B8-BA-DF831-FB13381.png
    index of jpg images

Independent:

D0-B6-A9-BA-882-D-4-EF5-AAD4-509-AFB394730.png
    resize photo for facebook online

That’s just the UKs top stories. The media all across Europe is very much ANTI lockdown protests, experts questioning everything etc.

Here? Go and look at ANY news site right now and tell me what you see. It’s absolute fear mongering and propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You tell me.

Let me show you something...

Front page of the BBC news site right now.
    Most read stories.
    Etc.

F09621-B0-6-E52-4385-AD90-009-F7881-B3-E0.png
    38912463-B17-D-42-DB-8-DF5-FA069-B17-C93-A.png
    81-B402-E0-6-E56-4-AB0-A05-B-AEE89-A4-B060-B.png

Metro:

2548-E980-59-B9-42-F5-B8-BA-DF831-FB13381.png
    index of jpg images

Independent:

D0-B6-A9-BA-882-D-4-EF5-AAD4-509-AFB394730.png
    resize photo for facebook online

That’s just the UKs top stories. The media all across Europe is very much ANTI lockdown protests, experts questioning everything etc.

Here? Go and look at ANY news site right now and tell me what you see. It’s absolute fear mongering and propaganda.

What exactly are you complaining about? News seems to be reporting facts or stuff that will interest people. The majority dont care about any anti-lockdown dopes or the faux experts so why give them screen time?

Or do you also believe the big explosion is fake to take our freedom?

pjohnson wrote: »
    What exactly are you complaining about? News seems to be reporting facts or stuff that will interest people. The majority dont care about any anti-lockdown dopes or the faux experts so why give them screen time?

What’s the thread title?

Read my post again.

Reply then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What’s the thread title?

Read my post again.

Reply then.

UK was a relative disaster when dealing with Covid. I would not be holding the UK as an example to follow.

What’s the thread title?

Read my post again.

Reply then.

Title is "Irish Media"

Your ramblings are about BBC and ".co.uk" websites.

BBC isn't Irish media. Neither are sites with a ".co.uk" url.

You seem to be complaining about British media not covering faux experts in a thread about Irish media?

Or do you think the British media controls the Irish media through Soros or something?

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    UK was a relative disaster when dealing with Covid. I would not be holding the UK as an example to follow.

That’s not the point. This thread is about how the Irish MEDIA are treating this.

What’s the thread title?

Read my post again.

Reply then.

It's hysteria thread about people reporting too much about hysteria.

The irony of that can't have escaped you.

That’s not the point. This thread is about how the Irish MEDIA are treating this.

It's is the point. Those things are very much connected.

Govt policy's, media reporting, the public response.

Media is generally a mouth piece for someone's agenda.

Title is "Irish Media"

Your ramblings are about BBC and ".co.uk" websites.

BBC isn't Irish media. Neither are sites with a ".co.uk" url.

You seem to be complaining about British media not covering faux experts in a thread about Irish media?

Or do you think the British media controls the Irish media through Soros or something?

I honestly don’t know if you’re trolling me or just being simple.

Whoosh.

It's is the point. Those two things are very much connected.

There’s about 300 other threads on boards discussing that. Not sure you know what thread you’re in.

• Advertisement

I honestly don’t know if you’re trolling me or just being simple.

Whoosh.

So can you explain how your BRITISH media examples relate to IRISH media?

I mean its clear you are a firm "critical thinker" so what you believe compared to what is actually fact are very different. What is your theory on the British media = Irish media exactly?

There’s about 300 other threads on boards discussing that. Not sure you know what thread you’re in.

This one is no different obviously.

It's a thread complaining about too much attention on covid. This thread is doing everything it says not to do. It should take it's own advice.

I mean its clear you are a firm "critical thinker" so what you believe compared to what is actually fact are very different. What is your theory on the British media = Irish media exactly?

It's the trump idea be like an ostrich. If you ignore a problem it will go away. Seems to be working great.

If the Irish media is annoying people they should stop looking at at. Everything has an off switch.

It's the trump idea be like an ostrich. If you ignore a problem it will go away. Seems to be working great.

If the Irish media is annoying people they should stop looking at at. Everything has an off switch.
    Its always an interesting experience when a conspiracist ventures into the wilds.

Yes, of course it’s in the news worldwide, but it seems no other country is so obsessed with the daily figures to the extent of Ireland.

Unfortunately a large number of Irish people have fallen victim to the scaremongering and are afraid to *try* get on with their lives.

The near-daily press conferences and updates should be curtailed. It seems such a waste of time to have a press conference on daily figures with terrible journalistic questions. If they used that extra hour to sit down and try figure out a strategy without worrying what the public might think, it would be a lot more effective than playing to the media.

I see so as the figures rise and we go back into lock down, it should be reported less. Keep it low key.

Its always an interesting experience when a conspiracist ventures into the wilds.

How's the wild working out for you?

This is not unlike the media obsession with social media and reality shows. It's why I stopped watching and reading a lot of it. Just garbage.

Like music radio. It's playing the same 10 songs for months. 50% ads. You tube is the same. It ignores what I actually watch and promote all these influencers who I never watch..

Solution stop looking at it, or filter what you look at yourself. Don't just mindlessly consume what your fed.

If you're working yourself up into hysteria. That is you doing that. No one else. Get the facts and then turn it off. Have you no self control.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its looking like humanity truly is going full retard during this pandemic!

Been done better before.

https://youtu.be/nR0lOtdvqyg

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

its looking like humanity truly is going full retard during this pandemic!

Mod: You're being deliberately provocative and dickish in your posts. Quit it or I'll remove your access to the thread/forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hahaha no bother, to be fair, some people really are going a little retard throughout all of this

Ironic post of the year....

road_high wrote: »
    Ironic post of the year....

how come?

There's no doubt that with the lock down and pandemic has mental health impact on many people.

But people are a little addicted to social media and news. If it's causing you a problem you should limit your exposure to it.

Easier said than done if you are actually addicted obviously.

There's no doubt that with the lock down and pandemic has mental health impact on many people.

But people are a little addicted to social media and news. If it's causing you a problem you should limit your exposure to it.

Easier said than done if you are actually addicted obviously.

my own therapist and myself believe our mental health services could collapse this winter, its already being several stressed, and this is off peak!

From 2018...

its a hard one to be absolutely accurate about, as most probably personalize their mental anguish, but our mental health services are disturbingly bad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The OP compared the Irish media to European media outlets and the poster you replied to gave examples of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I have no idea what that poster is trying to prove with the BBC screenshot, but BBC is my main newsource also and they have daily morning updates that summarise the latest corona infos. Right now two of the most read stories are 'is the world winning the C19 fight' and a story about the surge in Austrailia.

It's really weird to try and argue that there's a uniqueness to the Irish media reaction and consumption of the C19 crisis. I think a big difference is that the UK have already been through a tsunami of cases and deaths while we haven't and are generally a lot more in solidarity about this thing. Not everyone but people I know in the UK who were cynical about this thing before have done an about face when seeing just how devastating it ended up being. Not that there aren't head-in-the-sands types still but there's less friction being met with keeping the public on message with C19 (at least when it's not being undermined by your man Cummings).

We are still sadly falling victim to normalcy bias here which will hinder our efforts to keep this thing under wraps. There's a difference between 'fear' of the virus (respecting its potential for devastation) that often gets mixed up with being a curtain twitcher that can't function day to day. That's not how this is for a lot of people and I'd argue that the truly fearful ones are the ones putting on a show of not giving a ****e about this thing and showing off about that fact. Life has changed and it's not going back to normal for quite a while, best to get used to it and help keep COVID incidence as low as possible until we can hopefully find more long term mitigations like a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

News seems to be reporting facts or stuff that will interest people. The majority dont care about any anti-lockdown dopes or the faux experts so why give them screen time?
    Yes, a State run media (whatever country it may be) decides what will 'interest' people and what they can see and hear - its known as censorship.
    I'm well able to decide for myself what I find interesting or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

This is the worst example of the media stoking up Hysteria I have seen.

The actual story is that a man arrived on a plane having become sick on board with heart and breathing problems.
    He was taken to the hospital, tested negative for Covid and seemingly had had a heart attack of some sort.

Indo headline
    wrote:
    "Passenger flying from Ukraine on Ryanair flight brought to hospital after reporting Covid-19 symptoms to crew"

The headline is plastered all over social media and queue hysterics:

Send Him Back,
    Close the Airports,
    Quarantine the other passengers

etc.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/passenger-flying-from-ukraine-on-ryanair-flight-brought-to-hospital-after-reporting-covid-19-symptoms-to-crew-39441562.html?fbclid=IwAR2HX5PgM72bj0yJEfdYW0ZRDyt-HHmbPJgKSXyAnC-iKOQ1BuWwXHW6u8k

Advertisement