Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020 - British Grand Prix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hamilton is an average driver who has been fortunate to be in a far superior F1 car than any other teams for many years. Not only that, he has been given a free run in that team with token second drivers as team mates.

IMO I reckon there is probably at least 5 or 6 better drivers on the grid than him at the moment that would make a fool of him if they were given level pegging in the same car, and that is probably being kind to him.

I'm not a Hamilton fan at all, but that's just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Inquitus wrote:
    What a load of nonsense! Go back to watching Fireman Sam

It's just my opinion. And I'll be honest I don't watch it too often these days as its just the same boring procession most weekends. Used to watch at a lot more many years ago.

But it's hard to count Hamiltons wins than anything more than a totally unfair advantage on anyone else on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's just my opinion. And I'll be honest I don't watch it too often these days as its just the same boring procession most weekends. Used to watch at a lot more many years ago.

But it's hard to count Hamiltons wins than anything more than a totally unfair advantage on anyone else on the grid.

Mercedes wouldn't pay Hamilton £40m+ a year if they thought anyone else could do the job as well. That's just not good business!

Verstappen last lap radio:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Yummy salty tears. No way have you watched every race since he started. Even the saltiest Button fan (and there are many) who had would not come to these conclusions.

Have I watched every race? Yes. Check it up yourself, button regularly outpaced Hamilton on race day, Lewis consistently outqualified Button however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 FPL_Junior

Hamilton is an average driver who has been fortunate to be in a far superior F1 car than any other teams for many years. Not only that, he has been given a free run in that team with token second drivers as team mates.

IMO I reckon there is probably at least 5 or 6 better drivers on the grid than him at the moment that would make a fool of him if they were given level pegging in the same car, and that is probably being kind to him.

I can understand people being slightly biased against drivers they don’t like but then there’s this. You’ve got to respect the goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

100% agree

Last time he had anything approaching a good team mate it was Rosberg, who isn't all that special, and he beat him to the title. Button also outscored him over their time together as team-mates before that.

To date in his career, Kovalainen and Bottas are the only drivers he's ever definitively outperformed in equal machinery. And even Bottas beats him once every few races - nobody on the all time great list has such poor a record against team-mates (unless they were fellow champions like Senna - Prost of course)

Inquitus wrote: »
    Mercedes wouldn't pay Hamilton £40m+ a year if they thought anyone else could do the job as well. That's just not good business!

Literally anyone can win the title in their car. They could sideline Lewis and Bottas would be champion comfortably. The last time they had anyone other than Bottas or Hamilton in the car, that driver won the title.

They're paying the money for the marketability. Hamilton likes to hang out with celebs and he's known outside F1 circles in a way that superior drivers like Verstappen just aren't, and likely never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

Is all that Lewis chat not for the other thread?

One thing i noticed at the end today was unless Bottas had damage to his car then it was pretty bad that he couldn't on new softs pass Vettel on 30+ lap hard tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Faugheen wrote: »
    Everyone talks about Hamilton’s attitude but of Alonso had a better one he wouldn’t have burned bridges with nearly every team he’s ever driven for.

He fell out with two teams - McLaren (the first time), as they were blatantly favouring Hamilton; and Ferrari, because they were a shambles.

McLaren second time around like him so much they still want to run him at Indy. Toyota, and their drivers have had nothing but nice things to say. Same goes for anyone in IndyCar - I was listening to the Dinner with Racers podcast (a great listen if you like US motorsport) episode with broadcaster Dr Jerry Punch and he, out of nowhere (they were talking about how Scott Dixon would do in F1) mentioned how great Alonso had been to everyone on his visit to Indy (the first time - the episode was from 2017).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Inquitus wrote: »

I'm not a Hamilton fan but I don't hate him either. The simple fact is he's a great driver and is in the dominant car because he earned his place there.
    The problem isn't with Hamilton, or even Mercedes, but with F1 not attracting big name manufacturers. The biggest motor company in the world right now is Tesla. Are they remotely interested in F1? What about VW, they invest big time in motorsport and have a lot of good drivers on their books. Reality is that Mercedes are really the only main manufacturer willing to invest big in F1 for whatever reason and they're not even racing their commercial competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Why did Hamilton not just pit after Max did... Had he pitted after him, he'd have had a comfortable lead, and eliminated any chance of car blowing... Plus could also have had a shot at fastest lap possibly?... Or did max pit too late got lewis to get in?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

...Why did Hamilton not just pit after Max did... Had he pitted after him, he'd have had a comfortable lead, and eliminated any chance of car blowing... Plus could also have had a shot at fastest lap possibly?... Or did max pit too late got lewis to get in?..

He could have pitted at the end of the penultimate lap. It wouldn't have been possible to get fastest lap. Had he pitted the lap before Max would've stayed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

But for Bottas' bad luck (again) he would have beaten Hamilton, despite his bad luck too. It's just that again Hamilton's bad luck was not as bad as Bottas'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

Hamilton hinted that their tyre problems originated from pushing too hard with bottas. Even as it didn't look like, they were racing hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

First full race I've seen for quite a while. Usually highlights. Was an okay race. Why such hate for Hamilton? Schumacher had a dominant car for years, no one came close to challenging him.
    Vettel's heart is gone, Max is a future multiple Champ. Lewis will win 8, maybe 9 championships, and pass the 100 wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gwynplaine wrote:
    First full race I've seen for quite a while. Usually highlights. Was an okay race. Why such hate for Hamilton? Schumacher had a dominant car for years, no one came close to challenging him. Vettel's heart is gone, Max is a future multiple Champ. Lewis will win 8, maybe 9 championships, and pass the 100 wins.

I do kinna agree with most of what you said, you can see vettels mind just isn't there, and he's been like that for a long time, it's sad to see, hopefully his move to racing point will reenergise him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭rock22

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    .......you can see vettels mind just isn't there, and he's been like that for a long time, it's sad to see, hopefully his move to racing point will reenergise him

Mark Webber said that " Ferrari had emptied his batteries" which I think sums it up very well. Not too sure Vettel can withstand this psychological pressure for a full season.

if he wants to remain in the sport it might be better to part from Ferrari now and look for a fresh start in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that was the shouty-ist, most annoying highlights reel I've see to date.
    Croft really needs to be told to dial it back

• Advertisement

Crofty gets an awful lot of stick but he's grand. He's very enthusiastic and that comes across as a bit shouty at times but it isn't terrible by any means.

that was the shouty-ist, most annoying highlights reel I've see to date.
    Croft really needs to be told to dial it back

I don’t mind Crofty but feel there are better commentators around. The amount of blunders he makes each weekend is more noticeable and it doesn’t help the casual fan. I’d still like him to stick around just not as lead commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

FPL_Junior wrote: »
    I don’t mind Crofty but feel there are better commentators around. The amount of blunders he makes each weekend is more noticeable and it doesn’t help the casual fan. I’d still like him to stick around just not as lead commentator.

ah shur murray made loads of mistakes as well

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah shur murray made loads of mistakes as well

And was fairly shouty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Terrible weekend for Vettel. Really sad to see him perform so poorly. Best thing that can be said is that he didn't crash.

I think now is precisely the time when he needs to perform well and put himself in the shop window for other teams like Red Bull and Mercedes, even though those are unlikely to sign him. The number 1 way to get through this season is to beat LeClerc. I think he knows he just isn't fast enough to beat him and he looks like his head has dropped.

He hasn't beaten a good teammate. Beat Webber who was alright/good. Lost to Danny Ric. Beat Kimi who was well past his best, lost to Leclerc last year and in all probability will lose by a big margin this year. If he goes to RP then I expect him to beat Stroll so that's something to look forward to. I doubt he'll ever be top notch again but he might get a bounce from having a new team and an improved car next year.

Terrible weekend for Vettel. Really sad to see him perform so poorly. Best thing that can be said is that he didn't crash.

I think now is precisely the time when he needs to perform well and put himself in the shop window for other teams like Red Bull and Mercedes, even though those are unlikely to sign him. The number 1 way to get through this season is to beat LeClerc. I think he knows he just isn't fast enough to beat him and he looks like his head has dropped.

He hasn't beaten a good teammate. Beat Webber who was alright/good. Lost to Danny Ric. Beat Kimi who was well past his best, lost to Leclerc last year and in all probability will lose by a big margin this year. If he goes to RP then I expect him to beat Stroll so that's something to look forward to. I doubt he'll ever be top notch again but he might get a bounce from having a new team and an improved car next year.

He outperformed Leclerc in the previous two races. At this one his car spent more time in the garage getting repaired for multiple different reliability issues than it did on the track when they needed valuable set up time.

I wouldn't write off one of the most successful drivers in the history of the sport on the basis of one bad result when there were clearly issues with the car. It looks like Ferrari have decided where their future lies and are not giving his side of the garage the attention to detail it deserves, they already showed this with their dodgy tactical decisions last year.

Vettel joins good company in the likes of Alonso and Prost before him. Ferrari seem very good at hiring great drivers, giving them terrible machinery, and then shifting all the blame away from the team.

As someone said earlier in this thread. In the last 40 years Ferrari have basically won nothing except for the one specific period when they lured the greatest driver in the history of the sport to drive for them. Their recent decision making suggests they could easily go another 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Lads I dont really follow the news outside the races, is it pretty much accepted that Perez will be gone from racing point next year? Is there any ideas on where he will go?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

quokula wrote: »
    He outperformed Leclerc in the previous two races. At this one his car spent more time in the garage getting repaired for multiple different reliability issues than it did on the track when they needed valuable set up time.

I wouldn't write off one of the most successful drivers in the history of the sport on the basis of one bad result when there were clearly issues with the car. It looks like Ferrari have decided where their future lies and are not giving his side of the garage the attention to detail it deserves,[b/] they already showed this with their dodgy tactical decisions last year.

He outperformed LeClerc in Hungary (LeClerc used the terrible soft tyre and to get off the soft he then switched way to early to the hard). But I don't know how you can say who outperformed who in tjensecond Austria race as they both only made it to the fourth corner.

How is it clear that they're not giving Vettel's car the attention it needs? That's not clear at all but it does look like wishful thinking as a way to explain Vettel's recent performance without acknowledging his serious dip in form and numerous crashes and mistakes.

How would you explain him losing (over the course of the season, not just one race) to LeClerc who was in his second season in F1 and first season with Ferrari?

Lads I dont really follow the news outside the races, is it pretty much accepted that Perez will be gone from racing point next year? Is there any ideas on where he will go?

Not yet, but if Vettel is signed then there's no chance he gets a seat at Racing Point. Could get a seat at Alpha if Kimi decides to retire.

• Advertisement

Nothing is known. Lots of rumours.

It's rumoured that Vettel is in talks with RP (who become Aston Martin next year).

It's rumoured that if he did sign, he'd replace Perez because Stroll's dad is in control of the team and he's therefore safe.

There are also rumours that Vettel has refused to sign for them under those circumstances, as if they keep Stroll on they're basically making a statement that they're not a serious team who want to move up the grid.

There are also rumours of Perez being in talks with Haas.

There are also rumours that the team were unhappy with him for not taking proper precautions and getting Covid.

As things stand right now though, Perez still has a contract with RP for next year and officially he will still be racing for them.

Advertisement