Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

is flyefit screwed then?

Cos they're not opening up until 20th July?

is flyefit screwed then?

Opening on 20th.... Just announced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Why so late?

Dunno...... No harm IMO...... See how things go with covid over the next few weeks suits me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Hourly bookings and no showers
    https://www.flyefit.ie/faqs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Cos they're not opening up until 20th July?

That's almost 3 week behind the gyms that will open on the 29th of June.

That is an absolute kick the in teeth to all Flyefit customers.. people who are member in other gyms will be already back for 3 weeks before Flyefit members will be back.

I'm a Flyefit member but I will be changing gyms because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

NotMOL wrote: »

That is an absolute kick the in teeth to all Flyefit customers.. people who are member in other gyms will be already back for 3 weeks before Flyefit members will be back.

Its also going to be very difficult to get a slot i imagine. The busy ones, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Its also going to be very difficult to get a slot i imagine. The busy ones, forget it.

Hopefully the gov will increase the 50 person limit before July 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Westpark Tallaght open July 13th. 90min slots need to be booked in advance on their app. And showers only open to those using the pool.
    The 90mins is fair I think, as 60mins is ridiculously short unless you live beside the gym and drop in near every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Hourly bookings and no showers
    https://www.flyefit.ie/faqs/

So hour slots and it closes for 30 mins to clean.

"Upgrading" everyone to flyeplus membership so they can access online class while still paying full membership as the gyms will be booked out so quickly.

I see them losing a lot of members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

Westpark Tallaght open July 13th. 90min slots need to be booked in advance on their app. And showers only open to those using the pool.
    The 90mins is fair I think, as 60mins is ridiculously short unless you live beside the gym and drop in near every day.

Why do you think the 60 mins is really short? If you can’t do what you need to do in a gym in 60 mins then your wasting your time. Unless you want saunas, steam rooms etc etc. Get in, get it done & get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hopefully the gov will increase the 50 person limit before July 20th

Its 100 people indoors on 20th July.
    That's why they are waiting until then.

50 people including staff isn't viable in gyms the size of FlyFit and Ben Dunne.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Not sure what I'll do.

On the one hand, yes it's an extra three weeks of no gym while other gyms will be open, but It was my expectation that I would not be back in the gym until August not too long ago and I've lived without the gym for 3 months now.

On the other hand, I have been missing going to the gym, and even with all the restrictions put in place at gyms, I would still like to go back as my exercise of choice is weight lifting.

I've annual membership that I only bought in February, and with the Lockdown months being added to my membership means I basically have a year left on my contract, so not worth cancelling as Flyefit, up to now, has been very convenient for me.

is it worth paying monthly membership at another gym to use it for three weeks when I'm not even sure I'll get a spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

peter4918 wrote: »
    Why do you think the 60 mins is really short? If you can’t do what you need to do in a gym in 60 mins then your wasting your time. Unless you want saunas, steam rooms etc etc. Get in, get it done & get out!

2mins starting, 30mins treadmill, 5mins rest/stretch, 30 mins bike, 5mins rest/stretch, 15mins weights, 3mins leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not going back to Flyefit with those rules. I’ll get a home workout plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

In Flyefit's defense, they are the largest chain gym to re-open. Ben Dunne aren't re-opening at all, except for one gym (blanchardstown) and that's not even until October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not going back to Flyefit with those rules. I’ll get a home workout plan

Their website says the rules are temporary and they will return to normal within a very short period of time.

peter4918 wrote: »
    Why do you think the 60 mins is really short? If you can’t do what you need to do in a gym in 60 mins then your wasting your time.

That depends what you're doing and what you're training for.

If you're just going in to do a workout then probably could do something in the time.

If you're actually training and trying to progress, then it's different.

Looking back over recent programmes there were 9/10 working sets of 2 compound movements (squat/bench/deadlift or variations thereof), which need warm up sets to get to. Then 2/3 different accessory exercises, each with 4/5 sets. 20+ sets plus warm ups and changing set up between squat and bench for example. Good luck getting that done in an hour.

I'm more bothered that they weren't just honest that the intention was to open July 20th. The email response to me implied they were waiting to see when the government would say they could open and that was after 20th July became the latest date. Also said they would reopen when they were allowed to which implies opening sooner than the 20th July if they were allowed to.

If they had just said it was July 20th at that point, I'd have been ok with that. Disappointed it wasn't sooner but at least it would have been a straight answer.

They seem to be saying they emailed all members as well, which isn't true.

Really poor on the comms. Reality is I won't be storming off in a huff to another gym cos it isn't an option. And a strongly worded email will likely be deleted but I'll send it all the same for the catharsis.

DareGod wrote: »
    In Flyefit's defense, they are the largest chain gym to re-open. Ben Dunne aren't re-opening at all, except for one gym (blanchardstown) and that's not even until October.

Yep. And there's a lot of work in getting all 16 gyms in a position to reopen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anyone know how are go gym in Limerick going to operate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I think most people bar juice heads and hardcore bodybuilders have found plenty of ways to keep themselves fit at this stage. Leaving the “big overcrowded” gyms behind with all their equipment and opting for new forms of exercise outdoors or trying at home stuff with their friends. A lot of people have even jumped to smaller boutique gyms and semi private. Good to see to be honest, Smaller gym owners benefitting.

A lot of other people have also realised that a home gym investment while initially is expensive is better than paying that same cost over 12 months to waiting around to use racks/rigs. Obviously not feasible for everyone who lives in small spaces or people who like cheap gym memberships

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I think most people bar juice heads and hardcore bodybuilders have found plenty of ways to keep themselves fit at this stage

I'm neither a juice head or a hard-core bodybuilder but I do train for powerlifting comps. Without the equipment I can access at the gym, I can't train to do what I enjoy doing. I don't have space for a rack and equipment with two young kids and the spaces they use.

Can I do something else to stay fit? Yes. But it wouldn't be what I enjoy doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anytime's fitness hours are pretty much staffed hours from the message I got until the 20th when it goes back to 24 hour again. Which suits me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

ongarite wrote: »
    Its 100 people indoors on 20th July.
    That's why they are waiting until then.

50 people including staff isn't viable in gyms the size of FlyFit and Ben Dunne.

Although it would have been a useful opportunity to test it out for a week or so with lower numbers and spot issues/gauge demand e.g. from 10th July or similar, to see how it goes, and see what the social distancing is like (which is still probably going to be a factor even with 100 allowed)

In fairness to the video on the FAQs page it looks like they have planned it out well - thermascanner, deep cleaning, social distancing etc. I wonder if it's possible they may open earlier if they are ready sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

That depends what you're doing and what you're training for.

If you're just going in to do a workout then probably could do something in the time.

If you're actually training and trying to progress, then it's different.

Looking back over recent programmes there were 9/10 working sets of 2 compound movements (squat/bench/deadlift or variations thereof), which need warm up sets to get to. Then 2/3 different accessory exercises, each with 4/5 sets. 20+ sets plus warm ups and changing set up between squat and bench for example. Good luck getting that done in an hour.

You can absolutely do enough in 60 mins to make progress on the big lifts.

I'd do something like:

5 min general warm up
    40 mins for 2 compound lifts (work at a higher intensity so you're doing less reps and saving time i.e do sets of 1-4 instead of 5-8)
    15 mins for 2 accessories

DylanJM wrote: »
    You can absolutely do enough in 60 mins to make progress on the big lifts.

I'd do something like:

5 min general warm up
    40 mins for 2 compound lifts (work at a higher intensity and with a little less volume to get a similar training stimulus in a shorter time frame i.e do sets of 3/4 instead of 6/8)
    15 mins for 2 accessories

It's a significant enough drop off in volume so, for me, it'd maybe be maintaining in the normal scheme of things. Granted, under current circumstances, in the first couple of weeks, that's fine.

But as a general point and unrelated to the current situation, which is what I was getting at, the idea that any more than an hour and you're time wasting isn't true in all cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Rosita

Reality is I won't be storming off in a huff to another gym cos it isn't an option. QUOTE]

I think maybe that many who are disaffected by the ways gyms are organising themselves at the moment and are likely to operate in the near future at least might want to consider this view. Presumably people attend a gym because they like it and it’s logistically suitable for them. The gym we’re already in will probably remain relatively the favorite and most convenient if everyone is in the same situation.

While I would not take seriously the comment someone highlighted from Flyefit’s website that things would be normal very quickly (they are in no position to make such a call and that’s pure PR) we might find in a couple of months all going well that the vast spaces of large gyms could hold 200 people. And maybe the extraordinary measures will have eased a little. Now maybe that won’t happen and we are seeing plenty of examples of countries who were declared success stories having to redouble efforts but rash decisions by people right now might not be necessary or beneficial. Gyms opening is good news but there are still plenty of caveats.

With up to 50 people indoors from June 29th and 100 people indoors from July 20th it's probably unfeasible to open until July 20th with the size of the memberships.
    It's reasonable enough IMO, they are huge gyms and with 100 allowed in most members might be able to get two or three sessions a week in.
    The negative comments on facebook and Insta are laughable IMO.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    I think maybe that many who are disaffected by the ways gyms are organising themselves at the moment and are likely to operate in the near future at least might want to consider this view. Presumably people attend a gym because they like it and it’s logistically suitable for them. The gym we’re already in will probably remain relatively the favorite and most convenient if everyone is in the same situation.

Yeah look I saw people on IG giving out saying that FF had lost their custom. I can be píssed off with them but it's the only one that will suit in terms of location and time I train at so there isn't much point in me saying I'll go elsewhere.

Maybe they have considered that their major competition in the same space is Ben Dunne who isn't reopening sooner and decided to hold off until they could get 100 in the door at a time.
    Rosita wrote: »
    While I would not take seriously the comment someone highlighted from Flyefit’s website that things would be normal very quickly (they are in no position to make such a call and that’s pure PR) we might find in a couple of months all going well that the vast spaces of large gyms could hold 200 people. And maybe the extraordinary measures will have eased a little. Now maybe that won’t happen and we are seeing plenty of examples of countries who were declared success stories having to redouble efforts but rash decisions by people right now might not be necessary or beneficial. Gyms opening is good news but there are still plenty of caveats.

Yeah, the tone they used was that it was very temporary. They have no idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement