Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

• 23-03-2020 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭

Not in 1 week 2 weeks whatever, NOW!
    While most people are adhering to the health advice you cannot expect the gobshytes like those clowns packing beaches and parks to obey unless they are forced to.
    Shutdown NOW.

Anyone that agrees stick your name below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

For how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Seems a lot of people in the UK think a full on lockdown over there could be announced today and that if it doesn’t happen they could end up worse than Italy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

For how long?

As long as it takes to prevent a convoy of army trucks carrying coffins away to be cremated as we saw in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What data are you basing this request on?

I’m sure Dr. Hoolahan will let us know when the experts think a lockdown should start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Rodney Bathgate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭Nermal

Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Ill let Leo know realdanbreen on Boards really wants a shutdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Nermal wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

This is an attitude that will get people killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lesnar Defender

I for one, do not want my civil liberties removed.

As long as it takes to prevent a convoy of army trucks carrying coffins away to be cremated as we saw in Italy.

We probably can’t do it for as long as it takes.
    We will have to come out sometime.
    There is no cure at the moment and there doesn’t seem to be one soon.
    Without it the virus will come back.

So you can rant away but how long do you think it will take?

• Advertisement

I’m sure Dr. Hoolahan will let us know when the experts think a lockdown should start.

See post #4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Nermal wrote: »

I'm on a building site today.
    There are several hundred here.
    You think all the labourers, steelfixers and carpenters have been given a choice by their boss?

Shameful carry on.
    They might need to quit to get out.

See post #4

So you have no evidence or data that contradicts existing policy.

Glad that’s been cleared up.

Maybe we should leave this to the experts.

BTW I think a lockdown is coming and I’ve no issues with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

While most people are adhering to the health advice you cannot expect the gobshytes like those clowns packing beaches and parks to obey unless they are forced to.
    Shutdown NOW.

Did you find any open betting shops you were looking for to bet on the weekends racing Dan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'm sure he is basing it on the Italian experience, who were at where we are now 3 weeks ago. Except they have jumped from 1,000 to nearly 60,000 in those 3 weeks.

Dr Holohan. Tony Holohan. There are no experts.

Do you think if the people in Italy who have lost and are losing loved ones could turn back the clock and had a shutdown they would?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Please everyone, Stay Civil or you will be asked to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    This is an attitude that will get people killed.

That is the attitude of someone who may need to stay positive, it's the attitude I tell myself that I need, as someone who is regarded as front line and need to go outside (while secretly bricking it) ... Remember the taoiseach recently said... Not all hero's wear capes.

Yes there are idiots walking around without a care in the world, but the responsibility lies with us all, if you feel you are better off socially isolated, then do that, don't criticise others that need to go out (in some cases to prevent deaths)

STB. wrote: »

Thanks, I thought my spelling looked wrong.

STB. wrote: »
    I'm sure he is basing it on the Italian experience, who were we are now 3 weeks ago. Except they have jumped from 1,000 to nearly 60,000 in those 3 weeks.

I have great admiration for these people but they also told us 3 weeks ago that there was a low to moderate risk of the virus coming into the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Shutdown NOW.

Disagree, it’s not necessary at this moment, you are also suggesting an immediate lockdown without understanding the implications.

All the scaremongering clips of people not social distancing stems from the psychology of siblings telling on each other, they are a small percentage of the population

Do you think if the people in Italy who have lost and are losing loved ones could turn back the clock and had a shutdown they would?

I’m sure they would and like I edited to a previous comment I have no issues with a lockdown when it is commenced.

I just have more faith that those in charge will implement it when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Germanys solution seems like a good one, no more than two people out in public together at a time. Would certainly curtail the large groups out and about. Wouldnt have a problem with a lockdown myself, its a far better alternative than seeing Italys figures come to our shores in a few weeks.

So how long a shutdown?
    3 weeks is not enough.
    Do you want everything shutdown?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I have great admiration for these people but they also told us 3 weeks ago that there was a low to moderate risk of the virus coming into the country.

Quote please.

My recollection is that there was a low to moderate risk of catching it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

In this proposed shutdown that you have obviously so carefully planned and not just decided carelessly is needed..
    Where will ireland get its supply from that we cannot source within our land?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Well Dan I am not one of those people.

A long as our borders and airports remain open to civilian traffic, its going to be groundhog day over and over.

The Chinese are now warning of re-infection and a second wave of the pandemic as a result of cases importing back into China.

I am also a believer in the good work of people self isolating, working from home and social distancing being undone by those who don't follow the advice and external factors that we need to control immediately. The UK have made a dogs dinner of it, largely at the hands of Dominic Cummings. We dont need to import those problems. The numbers are going to shoot up as a result of community transmissions and/or Cheltenham.

And I agree, we need to learn from the mistakes of Italy. It is human nature that some people will refuse to play ball and not exclusive to Italians. Our Health system could not sustain a serious exponential increase over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Italy messed up and didn't kick into action until it was too late. By the time they did the health system was overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shutdown NOW.

Sir! Yes , Sir!

I'll get right on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭chicorytip

A complete lockdown will only be effective if there are sufficient police and military personnel available to enforce it which we don't have and, secondly, if the entire population is willing to comply with the restrictions involved. Many of us are unwilling in that regard, clearly.
    So, I think it would be an impractical to introduce and too difficult to implement. The Italian situation tells us that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement