Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 Congestion

• 27-06-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭

I had to go from Dalkey to just off the N81 towards Blessington yesterday at about 5pm. The obvious (only?) route was via Cherrywood to the M50 and off at Firhouse. I expected it to be busy but nothing could prepare me for the experience.

No problems getting to the M50 but as I approached the Carrickmines junction the signs were flashing about delays and I could already see the tailback ahead. It then took well over an hour to cover the few miles to Firhouse. There was no sign of any accidents and the traffic programme on Dublin City FM just casually mentioned it was slow but it sounded like they considered this normal.

Is this normal? The motorway on that section is at least 2 and mostly 3 lanes and the only "complications" are a couple of exit and entry points. Is that all it takes to reduce traffic to 5k an hour in first gear? (It seemed to be equally bad further on.)

Do regular users have to put up with this every day?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is lighter than normal traffic conditions. No orbital public transport and no capacity on most other modes mean there are very limited options to mode shift for regular users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

You was lucky. Try doing it on a wet Tuesday evening in February!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So its just volume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

First Up wrote: »
    So its just volume?

And piss poor driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I would say its normal at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

The traffic volume on the middle section of the M50 has grown from 132k to 149k in the last four years. An extra 17,000 vehicles per day. There are about 2,000 incidents per year, over 800 of them classified as high to urgent priority. The 1,200 may have been lower impact but they still have the ability to cause long tailbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

There was an accident yesterday
    I had to go from Dalkey to just off the N81 towards Blessington yesterday at about 5pm. The obvious (only?) route was via Cherrywood to the M50 and off at Firhouse. I expected it to be busy but nothing could prepare me for the experience.

No problems getting to the M50 but as I approached the Carrickmines junction the signs were flashing about delays and I could already see the tailback ahead. It then took well over an hour to cover the few miles to Firhouse. There was no sign of any accidents and the traffic programme on Dublin City FM just casually mentioned it was slow but it sounded like they considered this normal.

Is this normal? The motorway on that section is at least 2 and mostly 3 lanes and the only "complications" are a couple of exit and entry points. Is that all it takes to reduce traffic to 5k an hour in first gear? (It seemed to be equally bad further on.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

amcalester wrote: »
    And piss poor driving.
    This really. Motorists rev up as fast as they can, one of them brakes, traffic slows right back, crosses into other lanes. Meanwhile the volume is building all the time behind and there you have the M50 car park. Dublin City FM will keep you updated at peak hours and there's music too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

is_that_so wrote: »
    This really. Motorists rev up as fast as they can, one of them brakes, traffic slows right back, crosses into other lanes. Meanwhile the volume is building all the time behind and there you have the M50 car park. Dublin City FM will keep you updated at peak hours and there's music too.

No other excuse really for it other than people on the m50 drive like idiots, everyone is in a rush to get somewhere. People constantly tail gate and keep breaking at the last second, resulting in a domino effect of everyone else breaking, until the whole motorway comes to a stand still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

There was an accident today as well. At approx 2pm it took me about 45 minutes to get from Junction 11 (Templeogue) to Junction 7 (Liffey Valley) - a journey which normally takes about 8/10 minutes max.

• Advertisement

99nsr125 wrote:
    There was an accident yesterday

The Dublin City FM traffic programme didn't mention it but I know there are accidents most days - largely due to the piss poor driving mentioned earlier.

is_that_so wrote:
    will keep you updated at peak hours and there's music too.

I was listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The problem is actually the Red Cow merge from the N7. The volume of traffic that joins there on a short merge just gums the M50 northbound all the way from there past Firhouse most evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

amcalester wrote: »
    And piss poor driving.

Yep. Even when theres less traffic what's happens is all the people coming down the slip to join do so at a slow speed to the traffic on the motorway and also drove about 1 car length apart. Meanwhile what bit if traffic is in lane 1 are the same, barely a gap between them. Then both lines of traffic start braking getting slower and slower and trying to move in to lanes of traffic with no gaps.

Both lanes also want to merge at the very start of the slip. Nevermind that theres anything up to a couple of kilometers of lane to the next junction where they can join at any stage.

Add to this the idiors that are in lane 3 till they are well past the start of the slip then brake, move to lane 2, brake move to lane 1 , brake move to the slip lane, all the time shoving in to gaps too small because everyone is driving too close which means all 3 lanes are now braking.

Idiots, idiots everywhere.

Op, the back road are the alternative option. Brings you down in to firhouse. I went that way myself at half 4 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

AulWan wrote:
    There was an accident today as well. At approx 2pm it took me about 45 minutes to get from Junction 11 (Templeogue) to Junction 7 (Liffey Valley) - a journey which normally takes about 8/10 minutes max.

There were two crashes this morning. One was northbound around Ballymun with traffic backed up to the red cow. At the same time there was a crash southbound between the Blanchardstown and lucan exit. Traffic was backed up to Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The problem is actually the Red Cow merge from the N7. The volume of traffic that joins there on a short merge just gums the M50 northbound all the way from there past Firhouse most evenings.

This is just bad driving again. The slip off the m50 only merges on to the naas road after the slip down from the luas, but the whole thing stops right at the end of the hatch markings because they all insist on merging in to the mainline right there instead of using the full length of the slip. The traffic heading down the naas road shouldnt be backed up at all and only is because of peoples inability to merge or leave a road without braking. It builds up at the junctions for no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

People sitting in the middle lane leads to all sorts of problems. The people doing it, think they're doing absolutely nothing wrong.

People sitting in the middle lane leads to all sorts of problems. The people doing it, think they're doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Agree - its infuriating but in the jam yesterday all 3 lanes were bumper to bumper and crawling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

The obvious (only?)

Up over Johnny Foxes way, or up by Lamb Doyles and by Marley Park, cut across into Firhouse

arccosh wrote:
    Up over Johnny Foxes way, or up by Lamb Doyles and by Marley Park, cut across into Firhouse

Yeah I know the back roads but from Cherrywood its very tempting to hope the M50 works!
    Thankfully its not a route I need to take often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

Pretty much - its getting worse and worse. There's a little reprieve at the moment with summer holidays but I'm dreading how bad it will be in September as its always seems to jump a notch again.

As for yesterday - sun shine and lots of accidents. That morning one on the Blanch Lucan aux lane, seemed like a merge issue but the car was on its roof, how did the manage that??

Seems like people get more impatient in the sun and speeds are up. Never a cop to be seen at peak times on it. It needs adaptive speed and average speed cameras between all exits. A steady 60kph at peak as opposed to 120-10-120-0-120 would have less accidents and flow better.

A guaranteed extra 10/15mins would be better than the current pick a random time situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So its just volume?

There was 4 accidents on it yesterday. Volume isn't really the issue. Most folks adjust their progress handily enough when it fills up. The issue is when you've got people darting between lanes. That can result in more people slowing suddenly and it affects the overall flow of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Rubberneckers are also a big problem. Driving southbound at 3pm around J7 on Wednesday, the traffic slowed to a crawl in front of me- turns out there was a crash on the northbound side with a number of fire engines and ambulances.
    That and lack of indicating between lane changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

here's an idea of the carrying capacity of the M50. let's say it was just carrying private cars with an average occupancy of 1.2 (probably a fair guess); and that the drivers drive according to the 3 second rule (i accept this is almost certainly not the case).
    leaving the exit lane to one side, if you stood on the side of the M50, one car would pass you per second. 1.2 people per second, or 4,300 per hour.

the luas green line runs trams approx every 3 minutes at rush hour, but let's say 3 every ten minutes; 18 per hour. at a capacity of 358 per tram, that's 6,400 people per hour.

even if you add the exit lane, that still puts the luas ahead of the M50; and if you drop the minimum safe distance from 3s to 2, and keep within the three lanes, they're pretty much directly comparable.

in short, the M50 (well, the private car) is a stupidly inefficient way of moving people around.

in short, the M50 (well, the private car) is a stupidly inefficient way of moving people around.

Depends on where you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

Yep - sadly the public transport alternative for me is 2+ hours each way and that is with the optimum connections. Miss that one and its 3+

If there was a viable alternative I'd use it as I am sure would many others. I doubt many are on the M50 for joy of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

here's an idea of the carrying capacity of the M50. let's say it was just carrying private cars with an average occupancy of 1.2 (probably a fair guess); and that the drivers drive according to the 3 second rule (i accept this is almost certainly not the case).
    leaving the exit lane to one side, if you stood on the side of the M50, one car would pass you per second. 1.2 people per second, or 4,300 per hour.

the luas green line runs trams approx every 3 minutes at rush hour, but let's say 3 every ten minutes; 18 per hour. at a capacity of 358 per tram, that's 6,400 people per hour.

even if you add the exit lane, that still puts the luas ahead of the M50; and if you drop the minimum safe distance from 3s to 2, and keep within the three lanes, they're pretty much directly comparable.

I can get my kid to creche and me to work in 35 minutes, or I can do it in 3 hours. I spent a month doing the 3 hours in and 3 hours out. So I'm not plucking something from the air there. Tell me which is inefficient?

It's not fair to look at 1 snapshot in isolation to the entire commute someone may be doing, and then pointing out the snapshot is a problem to be addressed.

The issue with commuting around Dublin, is the lack of crossing points over Liffey Valley. That needs to be considered when reviewing any transport plan. Bus Connects is still based on the same stupid idea we have it running now. ie: people only want to get into and out of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach

traco wrote: »
    Yep - sadly the public transport alternative for me is 2+ hours each way and that is with the optimum connections. Miss that one and its 3+

If there was a viable alternative I'd use it as I am sure would many others. I doubt many are on the M50 for joy of it
    I can get my kid to creche and me to work in 35 minutes, or I can do it in 3 hours. I spent a month doing the 3 hours in and 3 hours out. So I'm not plucking something from the air there. Tell me which is inefficient?

It's not fair to look at 1 snapshot in isolation to the entire commute someone may be doing, and then pointing out the snapshot is a problem to be addressed.

The issue with commuting around Dublin, is the lack of crossing points over Liffey Valley. That needs to be considered when reviewing any transport plan. Bus Connects is still based on the same stupid idea we have it running now. ie: people only want to get into and out of the city.
    Me three.

I live in Drogheda and work in north Dublin. Matthews and the 100X don't get me where I need to go so I have to get the 101. When the schools are in, I have to leave the house at 6:40 to get a bus at 7am. It arrives at about 8:30 when I then have about a 15-20 minute walk to the office. So it's a 2 hour commute. I do it regularly and it's exhausting. Same again in the evening, although I don't know when the bus will arrive. So sometimes it could be after 7:30 by the time I'm home. Bed time at 11pm and back up at 6am the next day.

Alternatively, it can be driven in around 40-45 minutes down the M1. I'm getting driving lessons so I can have my life back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Just because the car is the best mode for certain individuals given their particular circumstances, that doesn't change the fact that public transport is a far more efficient way of moving large number of people. Every time this fact is stated on here, we have people falling over themselves to tell us why they need their car despite it having no relevance to anything. We need more public transport, even if it is not usable for some people they will still benefit from it through less other drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's all mostly bad driving caused by people lane hopping to get one car ahead, or forcing in last minute for exits because they wouldn't be in the correct lane in time. The N7 inbound towards the M50 is another that has serious delays every day for this reason only, it's not volume.

Advertisement