Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is/was Ireland's most famous sports star?

Options
  • 27-03-2019 11:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Inspired by another thread here, who do you think would make the list?

I'd have Roy Keane at the top, followed by Rory McIlroy and Brian O'Driscoll, who else would make the top 5?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

McGregor is the only Irish sports star where virtually every foreign person I know knows of him.

Next up would be Rory McIlroy.

I wouldn't consider anyone else "world famous"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

George Best was fairly well known.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No egg chaser can be considered the most famous - McGregor shockingly probably is but he is an entertainer as far as most are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Conor McGregor without a doubt - he's our only ever real global sport superstar.

You may not like it or swear blind it should be Eamon Coughlan or Johnny Giles, but you're wrong - it's Conor, prick and all that he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Three most famous by a long distance are
    (i) McGregor
    (ii) McIlroy
    (iii) Eoin Morgan.

No-one else comes close to these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

George Best was fairly well known.

No convinced. Big deal in the British Isles, never played in the world cup. Would an average Brazilian know him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Inspired by another thread here, who do you think would make the list?

I'd have Roy Keane at the top, followed by Rory McIlroy and Brian O'Driscoll, who else would make the top 5?

Saw the other thread - cringe inducing. IMO that's a list of potential top sports stars from Ireland. None are as famous or recognisable worldwide as McGregor at this, or any, moment in time, unfortunately. That said, I'd have Keane and O'Driscoll ahead of him in any 'best sportsperson' poll. Mind's not made up on Rory yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    No convinced. Big deal in the British Isles, never played in the world cup. Would an average Brazilian know him?

Sorry Tom, I've never asked a Brazilian if they knew George Best.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Anyone who doesn't say McGregor is wrong. He is the only one known worldwide and is probably followed in 2nd place by McIlroy.

We have plenty of stars that are relatively well known around the UK and maybe Europe but those 2 are on a different level completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Arkle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

UFC is popular amongst two main elements - criminals, and relatively young men with anger issues. There’s billions of people on this planet who have never heard of it, never watched one of those boring cage fights, or ever had the displeasure of seeing that gurning moron, McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sorry Tom, I've never asked a Brazilian if they knew George Best.

There's 2 brazillians work here with me - out of interest I've just asked them both do they know who George Best is, not a clue! Neither knew of McIlroy and both new McGregor.

Now, I could use a bigger sample size (5 or 6 maybe:D)

But, statistics don't lie. In a recent poll 0% of Brazilians had heard of Best or McIlroy, whereas 100% had heard of McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Yeah it's McGregor and it's not even close as to who's the most famous. One of the highest earning in the world with a huge following on social media; (almost 31m followers on instagram) he puts everyone else in the shade

UFC is popular amongst two main elements - criminals, and relatively young men with anger issues. There’s billions of people on this planet who have never heard of it, never watched one of those boring cage fights, or ever had the displeasure of seeing that gurning moron, McGregor.

Sadly, I don't fit into your pathetic criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Undoubtedly McGregor, the toerag.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Its McGregor and it probably isn’t even close. I wish it wasn’t the case but it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

(i) McGregor
    (ii) McIlroy
    (iii) Eoin Morgan.

Yeah, I think you've nailed it with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sadly, I don't fit into your pathetic criteria.

Neckbeard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Katie Taylor

Neckbeard?

Again, nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would say Roy Keane. And probably McIlroy. Both Golf and soccer are huge internationally.

The only reason MMA and McGregor gets such press coverage here is because he is Irish. He doesn’t get that in other countries including the US.

I doubt many people in Europe or the US who aren’t into MMA would have heard of him. And as for Asia, soccer is much more popular then MMA so my guess would be Keane due to Manchester United.

Its also hard to judge as Mcgregor is famous now so people are more likely to have heard of him. Its difficult to judge against people from a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

(i) McGregor
    (ii) McIlroy
    (iii) Eoin Morgan.

No way a cricket player is the third most known Irish celebrity, especially one that doesn't play for Ireland. Zimbabwe are in the top 10 of cricket, that's worse than rugby for global audience! Think it's only popular in pockets of England and its former colonies really (bar India where it is legitimately big).

Sheamus in the WWE would be more well known.

I would say Roy Keane. And probably McIlroy. Both Golf and soccer are huge internationally.

The only reason MMA and McGregor gets such press coverage here is because he is Irish. He doesn’t get that in other countries including the US.

I doubt many people in Europe or the US who aren’t into MMA would have heard of him. And as for Asia, soccer is much more popular then MMA so my guess would be Keane due to Manchester United.

You are wrong. Roy Keane hasn't been relevant in almost 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You are wrong. Roy Keane hasn't been relevant in almost 15 years.

Of course he isn't. He doesn't play anymore. So is the question sports stars at this moment or ever? He was more famous 15 years ago then Mcgregor is now?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

(iii) Eoin Morgan..

Who's he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It should be Katie Taylor

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

McGregor probably has the most global reach alright. Though he's probably infamous as much as he is famous now.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Hands up who had to google Eoin Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think on an online forum like this someone like McGregor would always top the poll but I don’t believe the result would be the same if you took the poll offline.

McGregor’s fanbase would be more likely to be online all day. The type who play computer games, when not watching xxx-rated material, in dark rooms all day and of questionable hygiene standards.

I’m sure this opinion will lead to an angry response from the cage fighter’s fanatics but what else would you expect?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

McGregor was involved in the 2nd biggest boxing PPV of all time, and holds 4 of the top 5 MMA PPV records. He's bigger and more famous in the US than in Ireland.

Advertisement