Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model Y

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

70% parts commonality with Model 3.

10% bigger then model 3, 10% more expensive, slightly shorter range for the same battery.

Nothing surprising, sounds like the typical cross over type SUV's that are so popular at the moment. I'm sure it will be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Model 3 is a sedan which is not very practical for families (with dogs), who need a hatchback.

I'm not particularly keen on cross overs, but very interested in the Model Y, didn't realise it was coming this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

bk wrote: »
    70% parts commonality with Model 3.

10% bigger then model 3, 10% more expensive, slightly shorter range for the same battery.

Nothing surprising, sounds like the typical cross over type SUV's that are so popular at the moment. I'm sure it will be very popular.

Exactly like the X was to the S.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Interesting time at Tesla, lots of balls being juggled

It's interesting how no matter the time, no matter the specific subject, if it is Tesla related there is a certain core of posters who can always be relied on to turn up and cast a negative aspersion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's interesting how no matter the time, no matter the specific subject, if it is Tesla related there is a certain core of posters who can always be relied on to turn up and cast a negative aspersion.

Completely agree with you, cannot see in this thread though. I cannot be bothered too much to post in the tesla threads anymore tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ELM327 wrote: »

Is it not just as true that there's also a core of posters who think Musk is a real life Iron Man and that Tesla are on a mission to save the planet?

Passing a critical eye on the company, one can see that although it has a solid product lineup, the company is extremely stretched financially, has quality issues and had set itself up with a single point of failure, that Musk and the company are fundamentally intertwined. It's always been my opinion that if you take Musk out of the equation the company would really really struggle, like the old Apple without Jobs.

That said, we would all be best just judging the new product on it's merits. I look forward to seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it not just as true that there's also a core of posters who think Musk is a real life Iron Man and that Tesla are on a mission to save the planet?

Passing a critical eye on the company, one can see that although it has a solid product lineup, the company is extremely stretched financially, has quality issues and had set itself up with a single point of failure, that Musk and the company are fundamentally intertwined. It's always been my opinion that if you take Musk out of the equation the company would really really struggle, like the old Apple without Jobs.

That said, we would all be best just judging the new product on it's merits. I look forward to seeing it.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla-bigger-than-elon-musk/

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

unkel wrote: »
    Model 3 is a sedan which is not very practical for families (with dogs), who need a hatchback.

need? Should I feel bad for the family dog in the boot for short drives to the countryside?

I'm amazed that a Fords Mondeo sized car (Model 3) is considered not suitable for 2 parents, 2 kids and a dog.

I sat in a Model 3 last week, it's a nice size for a family, and not too big for use in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    need? Should I feel bad for the family dog in the boot for short drives to the countryside?

I'm amazed that a Fords Mondeo sized car (Model 3) is considered not suitable for 2 parents, 2 kids and a dog.

I sat in a Model 3 last week, it's a nice size for a family, and not too big for use in a city.

I am interested in this, I am concerned about the size of the boot and accessibility, that is my main gripe with the car for being our family car (moving from an old 520D Estate). It is a lot of money for something that might not be practical. I hope they bring some soon here to take a look at one in the flesh

• Advertisement

jarrieta wrote: »
    I am concerned about the size of the boot and accessibility,

Big boot, I leaned all the way in and could just touch the backs of the back seats. There is bonus storage under the boot cover (where a spare wheel would be) and the little frunk.

The big question - for me a deal breaker - can I get my golf clubs into the boot handy?

Should I feel bad for the family dog in the boot for short drives to the countryside?

That doesn't feel right to me. If only there was even a ski hatch so it could stick its head into the cabin a bit and see the people?

Linky

Although that wouldn't work if 3 people sit in the back. But I'm only new to owning dogs, maybe experienced owners could give their opinion on dog in boot?

Different strokes and all that. I generally have the dog on the passenger seat or in the back if she's being a bit bold.

slave1 wrote: »
    The big question - for me a deal breaker - can I get my golf clubs into the boot handy?

Depends - how long are your woods/drivers?

Also, do you even Google? - https://youtu.be/Cb4xaJRoo00?t=275

I can't get my bike in so gonna have to get a roofrack or a very expensive towbar (there's no official tow mount, so one has to aftermarket one directly to the chassis :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭creedp

That doesn't feel right to me. If only there was even a ski hatch so it could stick its head into the cabin a bit and see the people?

Linky

Although that wouldn't work if 3 people sit in the back. But I'm only new to owning dogs, maybe experienced owners could give their opinion on dog in boot?

Each to their own .. I'm far more interested in an EV that can accommodate 6 - 7 people in comfort at an affordable price.

slave1 wrote: »
    Depends - how long are your woods/drivers?

Also, do you even Google? - https://youtu.be/Cb4xaJRoo00?t=275

I can't get my bike in so gonna have to get a roofrack or a very expensive towbar (there's no official tow mount, so one has to aftermarket one directly to the chassis :mad: )

This is a Model Y thread so my question was on the soon to be revealed Model Y, not sure why most the recent posts have reverted back to Model 3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hope that the Y is also materially larger inside, and not just a Model 3 on stilts.

Hope that the Y is also materially larger inside, and not just a Model 3 on stilts.

Musk said Model Y is 10% bigger than Model 3. Hard to imagine the size of Model 3 though if you haven't been in one. I doubt very much it would be smaller than Ioniq / L40? So both should be big enough for 3 kids in the back?

I imagine the Y is to fit into the eniro size CUV which are quite compact.
    I wouldn't be expecting model X levels of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Haven't sat in one, but Model 3 looks tight enough in the back in terms.of shoulder and head room. 3 car seats looks a real squeeze. Might have to go for the Model S with its three Isofix points!

3 car seats looks a real squeeze.

In fairness, 3 car seats in pretty much any sedan is a tight enough squeeze. Unless you go for E and F segment cars. Even in most D segment cars (VW Passat, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Merc C-class, Ford Mondeo, etc. and presumably also Tesla Model 3?

I haven't seen used Model S dropping in price much yet since this weeks annoucement of the $35k Model 3 and the massive price reductions of the Model S and Model X. Which makes them even worse value for money than the already were :(

In fairness, 3 car seats in pretty much any sedan is a tight enough squeeze. Unless you go for E and F segment cars. Even in most D segment cars (VW Passat, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Merc C-class, Ford Mondeo, etc. and presumably also Tesla Model 3?

I haven't seen used Model S dropping in price much yet since this weeks annoucement of the $35k Model 3 and the massive price reductions of the Model S and Model X. Which makes them even worse value for money than the already were
    Won't happen for a while as the model 3 is not available in RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Ah Jasus, the announcement is in LA at 8pm, so about 3am Irish time tomorrow.

Will have to wait till tomorrow morning for me so.

If anyone's up late, details of how to watch the unveiling are here...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/14/18261915/tesla-model-y-announcement-live-stream-how-to-watch-elon-musk-date-time

Yeah have to be in work at 8AM, will watch at some point tomorrow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Wasn’t massively interested in this car but kid was up so watched some of the live feed

Looks great, perfect for market and with 7 seats.....great, exactly what I need....so based on Model 3 so will be out soon.....happy days.....I will order today

Order opens....spring 2021.....FFS....ok carry on, nothing to see here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

That looks far better than I expected. 7 seats a very useful option for me. 0.23Cd is best in class, should make for good efficiency and more importantly range. Base model for about EUR40k on the road here, provided we will still have the same incentives as we have now?

Model Y to Model 3 is like Model X to Model S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭stesaurus

That looks far better than I expected. 7 seats a very useful option for me. 0.23Cd is best in class, should make for good efficiency and more importantly range. Base model for about EUR40k on the road here, provided we will still have the same incentives as we have now?

Model Y to Model 3 is like Model X to Model S

2021 I'd say incentives will be gone or severely reduced.

• Advertisement

Oooh, forget about this, essential youtube of the reveal tonight so

Advertisement