Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

• 06-03-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The comparison was silly. Walsh could be argued as the worst of those three and Mayo sacrificed their best player on Saturday to follow him everywhere. If Walsh jumped into the first row of concrete benches around the edge, Keegan would've hopped in beside him. Hardly conductive to getting easy space and ball

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hulk Hands wrote:
    If Walsh jumped into the first row of concrete benches around the edge, Keegan would've hopped in beside him

That's what he does though. I made a similar point about him marking Murphy from Kerry a couple of years ago. He just concentrates on his man 100 percent, possibly too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Stoner wrote: »
    That's what he does though. I made a similar point about him marking Murphy from Kerry a couple of years ago. He just concentrates on his man 100 percent, possibly too much.

I much prefer it from a Galway pov. In the last 4 games, Keegan has followed Walsh, while Durkan subsidised when Keegan was injured. Walsh wasn't brilliant but was decent (nominated motm and an underserved motm), while Keegan/Durkan offered little going forward. They're both matchwinners in their own right so if Walsh can affect a game to a limited degree, while one of Mayo's best players influence is curbed, it's a great trade off. Keegan was far scarier for example in the 2014 game between the sides where he scored 2 goals iirc. The ideal scenario is obviously what Keegan did in the last 2 finals but it hasn't happened vs Galway. Surely can get someone else to be a basic tracker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I much prefer it from a Galway pov. In the last 4 games, Keegan has followed Walsh, while Durkan subsidised when Keegan was injured. Walsh wasn't brilliant but was decent (nominated motm and an underserved motm), while Keegan/Durkan offered little going forward. They're both matchwinners in their own right so if Walsh can affect a game to a limited degree, while one of Mayo's best players influence is curbed, it's a great trade off. Keegan was far scarier for example in the 2014 game between the sides where he scored 2 goals iirc. The ideal scenario is obviously what Keegan did in the last 2 finals but it hasn't happened vs Galway. Surely can get someone else to be a basic tracker

Totally agreed he oftentimes sacrifices far too much by way of his own game in such manmarking roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agreed he oftentimes sacrifices far too much by way of his own game in such manmarking roles.

Yes you can argue that but sometimes it is required for the team. He is without doubt a really special talent with an unbelievable attitude. He must be an managers dream with the skill and determination to do anything for the team.
    he gets lots of bad press because he really knows how to hurt teams and stifle the top players in the opposition. There isn't a lot of these guys around in other teams. I think he is a bit off the pace at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Diarmuid announced as captain
    Paddy durkan VC

Good calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

km79 wrote: »
    Paddy durkan VC

Good calls

Very good calls. Where did you see that?

Edit: Scrap that, see it on twitter now myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

km79 wrote: »
    Paddy durkan VC

Good calls

So another chance to try and get The Sam McGuire to Corley's on the Tuesday night after the All Ireland.

I'm a bit less optimistic this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭PressRun

Good call. Diarmuid frequently leaves it all on the pitch, and it's good to pass the torch to a younger player.

In injury news, I see Seamie has significant ligament damage in his ankle. Doesn't sound like we'll be seeing him for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PressRun wrote: »
    Good call. Diarmuid frequently leaves it all on the pitch, and it's good to pass the torch to a younger player.

In injury news, I see Seamie has significant ligament damage in his ankle. Doesn't sound like we'll be seeing him for quite a while.

I'm no medical expert, but you wonder if at his age he'd be best advised to pack it in altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'm no medical expert, but you wonder if at his age he'd be best advised to pack it in altogether...

A bit dramatic. It's an ankle injury, not like he's had multiple concussions.

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    A bit dramatic. It's an ankle injury, not like he's had multiple concussions.

But injuries are becoming a concern, as it is with any player who has had as prolific a career.

He got injured in last year's championship and will be the bones of a year out of inter county action.

I'm not retiring the guy or anything but his ability to continue to offer as much as he has been able to to this point is becoming reduced.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm not retiring the guy or anything but his ability to continue to offer as much as he has been able to to this point is becoming reduced.

There was talk of him retiring two years ago (although you could say the same for a few Mayo players)

You'd imagine he's a squad player now, with a more mobile midfielder preferred anyway.

Had a few great seasons, had more than one good showing against Kerry and at his best had more in the tank than his younger brother imo. I'd say there isn't many important games left that he'll start. A good intercounty player at the top level on his day..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But injuries are becoming a concern, as it is with any player who has had as prolific a career.

He got injured in last year's championship and will be the bones of a year out of inter county action.

Although he may not look like he's 100% at the races yet this year, if I was Horan, I would consider trying for Keegan and Ruane as main midfielders this year - with back-up from Vaughan. And then we'd also have the option of Diarmuid, but obviously we'd be weakening the forward unit. I think Vaughan's day is done as a defender. Can't see any place for him there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

New thread started as the old one was above 10k posts.

Previous thread is here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057762233

Mayo jersey for New York.

53526717_1505149622950513_2807039411752009728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=4853be5f1914dcb10bdd3787e357f0cb&oe=5CDB13D1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Mayo jersey for New York.

53526717_1505149622950513_2807039411752009728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=4853be5f1914dcb10bdd3787e357f0cb&oe=5CDB13D1

Oh gimme. Will that go on sale? None of the media stuff say if it will or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

statto25 wrote:
    Oh gimme. Will that go on sale? None of the media stuff say if it will or not

If there is money to be made of course it will go on sale *limited amounts to be quick

Nice vintage style. Never understood why O'Neils didn't do a re-release of jerseys in the vintage styles from the 70s/80s/90s. They'd make a mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭BandMember

Nice vintage style. Never understood why O'Neils didn't do a re-release of jerseys in the vintage styles from the 70s/80s/90s. They'd make a mint.

They did, years ago. For example, the 1989 Mayo one.

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    They did, years ago. For example, the 1989 Mayo one.

Well they should do it again. There's definitely an appetite for it, I think.

It's great to see an all Mayo Connacht GAA Colleges A final on Friday night in MacHale Park.

My alma mater St. Gerald's College Castlebar take on the pride of Claremorris St. Colman's College.

Throw in is 19.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Well they should do it again. There's definitely an appetite for it, I think.

Probably concerned it may take revenue away from the sponsored official jersey that costs a lot more than a retro one would

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

If they do sell that retro jersey there is no doubt it will cost the same than the current jersey. Its a retro look but its a full price jersey if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

statto25 wrote: »
    If they do sell that retro jersey there is no doubt it will cost the same than the current jersey. Its a retro look but its a full price jersey if you get me?

That one yes, but its not really a retro jersey, its a new jersey inspired by the old one - new badge etc. There is no way they could charge 70 lids for the last batch of retro jerseys that were made (though I would probably pay it).

I actually had a batch of attempted copies of that 89 shirt made in China earlier this year, but the red stripes on the collar are too thin, it doesnt look right. Clogging up my wardrobe ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jersey will be on sale in the next few weeks

Early forecast is for some really cat weather on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Squatman

Early forecast is for some really cat weather on Saturday.

My early forecast is that kerry open a can of whoop ass... unfortunitely.

Squatman wrote: »
    My early forecast is that kerry open a can of whoop ass... unfortunitely.

I'd be pretty fearful too but the lads have shown some amount of character down through the years.

In addition our track record in recent times is non too shabby in Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Squatman

I'd be pretty fearful too but the lads have shown some amount of character down through the years.

In addition our track record in recent times is non too shabby in Tralee.

As far as i recall they need a win to guarantee final spot. We need 2 and a dublin fuuck up iirc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement