Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

cascade12 wrote:
    Don't think Fanning will be getting the job but whoever does needs the full backing of the board and supporters. Some of the sniping on here towards Derek Mcgrath is totally uncalled for. He brought us closer to an All Ireland than anyone else since 1959. Am I the only one on this site that thinks we are not as good as the majority of supporters seem to think we are. Another point that is not being made here is that both teams played a sweeper in the All Ireland final this year. In fact Limerick played a sweeper all year. And, in my opinion, Tadgh will have to play the same role for us going forward if we are to have any chance. And to be fair that is where Pauric Fanning would be playing him as he is a very defensively minded coach. But like I said above, he will not be getting the job.

Was at an intermediate match yesterday and a lot of the talk was that the new manager will be from outside the county or if it's from within the county then the county board are determined it won't be anyone from the east of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

No way should Dan Shanahan remain on.
    There is a conflict of interest. His own brother is on the panel
    Shanahan stood over all decisions made by outgoing committee. I don’t buy an excuse that he was outvoted. Could have stood down if he had no say. Yes men are no use.
    His antics on side-line spur on opposition players and annoy referees. Quite frankly he is a nuisance.
    Shanahan loves to be the centre of media attention. Hence the cap is turned backwards. He is a legend in his own mind. Waterford hurling is now in a precarious position after this years disaster and can no longer afford such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

With planning permission for Walsh Park Redevelopment now granted, when can we expect to see the diggers move in. Probably not a chance it will be ready for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,008 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    With planning permission for Walsh Park Redevelopment now granted, when can we expect to see the diggers move in. Probably not a chance it will be ready for May.

No chance

The senior hurling champs play he cork champs on the 28th Oct and then if they win the Clare champs in the semi finals on the 4th Nov in Walsh Park. So they prob won't do much before then unless they restrict people too use the stand only and they start building on the terrace

Heard a few rumours from reliable sources about the hurling job but hard too believe them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

culbaire wrote: »
    No way should Dan Shanahan remain on.
    There is a conflict of interest. His own brother is on the panel
    Shanahan stood over all decisions made by outgoing committee. I don’t buy an excuse that he was outvoted.  Could have stood down if he had no  say.  Yes men are no use.
    His antics on side-line spur on opposition players and annoy referees. Quite frankly he is a nuisance.
    Shanahan loves to be the centre of media attention. Hence the cap is turned backwards. He is a legend in his own mind.  Waterford hurling is now in a precarious position after this years disaster and can no longer afford such nonsense.
    Jesus did Dan bully you when you were a child going to school or something? Or are you just generally embarrassed by people that look and act differently to everyone else?
    As for a conflict of interest with Maurice, the fact that Maurice has been nothing more than a bit-part player for 3 years now, when many argued he should have been starting speaks for itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

You've named 4 players. Two of them were already on the panel.

I’m well aware 2 of them are already on the panel and my point was that they should be given more game time. Again I’ll ask you from all the games you have attended what current panelists have stood out?

Mulbert wrote: »
    You're probably right there Cul beag but I have no doubt that u will continue to besmerch, abuse and harrass any manager whom doesn't match your narrow agenda or ideals.

Glad you’re coming around to my way of thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

cul beag wrote: »
    I’m well aware 2 of them are already on the panel and my point was that they should be given more game time. Again I’ll ask you from all the games you have attended what current panelists have stood out?

My question was to say who are the players that would add to the panel. Are you going to answer that one?

Maurice, Connors, both Gleeson, Barron (although not totally fit looking), Páidí Mahoney and Prunty would be the ones on the panel that have stood out for me. And also an example of answering a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Is it possible that absolutely no-one on this thread is ITK? Shocking if true.

My question was to say who are the players that would add to the panel. Are you going to answer that one?

Maurice, Connors, both Gleeson, Barron (although not totally fit looking), Páidí Mahoney and Prunty would be the ones on the panel that have stood out for me. And also an example of answering a question.

Kieran Power
    Brian O Sullivan((Now that Mcgrath is gone)
    Gavin O Brien
    Billy Nolan
    Brian Nolan
    Mark Ferncombe
    Neil Montgomery
    Sean Whelan Barrett
    Shane Ryan(DLS)
    Cormac McCann
    Padraig Prendergast
    Ray Barry
    Iarlaith Daly
    Conor Murray

These should be looked at in my opinion to see what they can offer.

Anything else?

• Advertisement

Add Jordan Henley and John Paul Lucey to that list aswell.

Kieran Power
    Gavin O Brien
    Billy Nolan
    Brian Nolan
    Mark Ferncombe
    Neil Montgomery
    Sean Whelan Barrett
    Shane Ryan(DLS)
    Cormac McCann
    Padraig Prendergast
    Ray Barry
    Iarlaith Daly
    Conor Murray

Anything else?

Yes actually as that was the easy part. Could you now advise the players that the above are better than and should replace? Aside from Billy Nolan as again he's already on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Kieran Power
    Gavin O Brien
    Billy Nolan
    Brian Nolan
    Mark Ferncombe
    Neil Montgomery
    Sean Whelan Barrett
    Shane Ryan(DLS)
    Cormac McCann
    Padraig Prendergast
    Ray Barry
    Iarlaith Daly
    Conor Murray

Anything else?

are you actually suggesting Brian o sull will play for Waterford now that Derek has left?

Yes actually as that was the easy part. Could you now advise the players that the above are better than and should replace? Aside from Billy Nolan as again he's already on the panel.[/quote

Mark O Brien
    Seamus Keating
    Shane McNulty
    Ian Kenny
    Brian O Halloran
    Jake Dillon
    Ian O Regan

Anything else Derek?

Yes actually as that was the easy part. Could you now advise the players that the above are better than and should replace? Aside from Billy Nolan as again he's already on the panel.[/quote

Mark O Brien
    Seamus Keating
    Shane McNulty
    Ian Kenny
    Brian O Halloran
    Jake Dillon
    Ian O Regan

Anything else Derek?

So without getting into the merits of your inclusions and exclusions, and ignoring the petty comment, your clear out consists of omitting 7 players while adding a further 15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Kieran Power
    Gavin O Brien
    Billy Nolan
    Brian Nolan
    Mark Ferncombe
    Neil Montgomery
    Sean Whelan Barrett
    Shane Ryan(DLS)
    Cormac McCann
    Padraig Prendergast
    Ray Barry
    Iarlaith Daly
    Conor Murray

Anything else?

Brian O Sullivan and Gavin O Brien have been tried and are both definitely not good enough.

Padraig Pendergast must be near 30 now so hard to see him making it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Brian O Sullivan and Gavin O Brien have been tried and are both definitely not good enough.

Paudie is 26 at some stage this year, plenty of hurling left in him, look at Gearoid McInerny only getting his chance at that age. Brian O’Sullivan has been outstanding for Ballygunner over the last few years and would have been a huge a addition to Derek’s side. I’d love to see both involved again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I just think the Brian O Sullivan suggestion smacks of irony given how he was scapegoated in 2014, and used as a stick to beat McGrath with.

He's probably good enough to be in the panel but is 30 if I'm not mistaken and to be honest would rather see younger players or Tommy Ryan given their chance ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RichardBzero

Hearing tonight that fanning will be announced in the next few days. Hearing his team is Browne, dunne and dan Shanahan.

So without getting into the merits of your inclusions and exclusions, and ignoring the petty comment, your clear out consists of omitting 7 players while adding a further 15?
    No, for what it’s worth I’m suggesting these people be brought in to be tried out and that the fellas I named currently on the squad could be replaced by some new blood. I’m not for one minute saying they add another 15 while dropping 7.
    There are fellas on the current squad that are in a comfort zone and as long as there aren’t any new additions then it isn’t going to change. Were we the only county this year that never added to the panel? That isn’t good enough at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Relhcstirt wrote: »

It was never planned to be ready for May. 2020 Championship was the timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

It was never planned to be ready for May. 2020 Championship was the timeframe.

When was permission granted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

IanVW wrote: »
    When was permission granted?

Today as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Is the County board meeting tonight? Surely if the managerial selection is decided as is rumoured, it will be ratified by tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,008 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Heard last night Fannings backroom team was Paul Flynn, Tony Browne, James Murray and Dan

Really hope they announce it so they can start planning

Def a bit of an underwhelming choice but we just have to wait and see. Being in 1B might suite us

Kieran Power
    Gavin O Brien
    Billy Nolan
    Brian Nolan
    Mark Ferncombe
    Neil Montgomery
    Sean Whelan Barrett
    Shane Ryan(DLS)
    Cormac McCann
    Padraig Prendergast
    Ray Barry
    Iarlaith Daly
    Conor Murray

Anything else?

Paudie Pender is 25, should have a good few years left in him but has been off the panel with 3 or 4 years now so might be hard for him to get back up to that level of fitness and conditioning. Brian O'Sullivan was deemed not good enough as far back as Davy Fitz time but then again Tommy Ryan came with a bit of a late coming in his 20s there's no reason why Brian Sull couldn't offer the same.

Hard to know what to make of this. If Kenny wanted it badly enough you’d imagine he would have found a way to make it work by now. I find it very hard to believe that Fanning would just stand back and wait in the wings as a plan B

https://www.wlrfm.com/2018/09/04/planning-granted-for-walsh-park-development-in-waterford/

"Executive officer, Councillor John O’Leary says he believes this expansion will meet the needs for Munster Championship games in Waterford."

He believes? Surely it either is or it isnt??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

https://www.wlrfm.com/2018/09/04/planning-granted-for-walsh-park-development-in-waterford/

"Executive officer, Councillor John O’Leary says he believes this expansion will meet the needs for Munster Championship games in Waterford."

He believes? Surely it either is or it isnt??

Some people will believe a 15,500 ground in the current location is enough, others won't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement