Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to Berlin European Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not a sniff!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shame that. Plenty more to come from him though. He'll break that record eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

walshb wrote: »
    Not a sniff!

Disappointing : Reid started really well but inexplicably faded

Derval O'R reckons that the race was simply too fast and he is being a bit too hard on himself

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Faugheen wrote: »
    I know it's a different race but hopefully this can put a bit of a spring in Reid's step. Two medals would be phenomenal.

Good Experience for him, still young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not a sniff!

Disappointing : Reid started really well but inexplicably faded

Derval O'R reckons that the race was simply too fast and he is being a bit too hard on himself
    Yeah, I thought that was simply too fast for him.

• Advertisement

Is that the fastest time ever for a white man? I think it is..

Was a fast race..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought that was simply too fast for him.

Yes, and if you're trailing and not in medal contention, it can throw you off. His first impression was that he had messed up somehow but it might be that he simply couldn't live with the speed of the race.

Plenty of time for him to improve in future anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Is that the fastest time ever for a white man? I think it is..

Was a fast race..

It wasn't a European record was it? Just a championship record i thought.

It wasn't a European record was it? Just a championship record i thought.

Just championship record..

Former world record holder, Minnea from Italy at 19.72 is record in Europe.

So that answers my question..he too being white..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Just watched a few clips of Barr’s celebrations. David Gillick is super at interviewing (post race & family)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Great bronze for Barr!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

honeybear wrote:
    Just watched a few clips of Barr’s celebrations. David Gillick is super at interviewing (post race & family)

Agree, he's very natural.

Not often I get to praise RTÉ but I think their athletics coverage is really good. I like Peter Collins, well informed and asks good questions. Panel of Sonia, Jerry and Derval is top notch. Derval I find especially good to listen to. And Gillick does bring a pretty decent balance of empathizing with the athletes and asking tough questions. If I have a complaint, it’s that they don’t use him enough. All in all a solid 8/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Not often I get to praise RTÉ but I think their athletics coverage is really good. I like Peter Collins, well informed and asks good questions. Panel of Sonia, Jerry and Derval is top notch. Derval I find especially good to listen to. And Gillick does bring a pretty decent balance of empathizing with the athletes and asking tough questions. If I have a complaint, it’s that they don’t use him enough. All in all a solid 8/10 for me.

A big improvement from the lows of two idiots who were giddy hunover commentating on the 50k in London knowing nothing about the sport. Or Marty going to the beach volleyball in 2012 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Healy and Mageean through in their respective events.

Unusual that there are only 12 athletes in the 200m semifinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

YFlyer 12 qualified from the heats. The top ranked ones were given a bye into the semis. This was across all the sprint events I think. It seems very unfair and gives the lower ranked athletes even less chance in the semis.

YFlyer 12 qualified from the heats. The top ranked ones were given a bye into the semis. This was across all the sprint events I think. It seems very unfair and gives the lower ranked athletes even less chance in the semis.

Would have been better to have the heats the day before or if on the same day as the semi, have the heats just 2 hours beforehand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No way it trumps 4th. Much deeper global field at Olympics

Granted but Barr had nothing to show for his placing in Rio. At least he has a medal this time. Regardless of the standard of the field, Irish athletes don't win medals that often, not since the golden era of the sport in Ireland anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I haven`t been watching all that much of RTE`s coverage of the Europeans. Has George Hamilton made any major commentary blunders? He was criticised during the World Cup in Russia for a fair amount of clangers. I just wonder if the same thing is happening in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

does anyone have the tv schedule for tonight?

• Advertisement

In her heats, Phil Healy has third fastest season best.

YFlyer wrote: »
    In her heats, Phil Healy has third fastest season best.

Will she need a PB to have any chance of making the final? Looks a tough s/f draw for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

rom wrote: »
    A big improvement from the lows of two idiots who were giddy hunover commentating on the 50k in London knowing nothing about the sport. Or Marty going to the beach volleyball in 2012 also.

I hope you haven't had the misfortune to listen to Stephen Alkin commentating on the diving. Or anything really.

Mageean looked good in her heat. She has a chance of a bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

YFlyer wrote: »
    Would have been better to have the heats the day before or if on the same day as the semi, have the heats just 2 hours beforehand.

Nah, no difference same day, it's only 200m. Better to have a runout earlier in the day either way. She should be quicker in the evening too. Not sure how the wind is but the evening looks to very favourable weather wise. Hopefully she'll be at least 8th fastest tonight and hopefully she'll get another 2 outings on Sunday with her teammates.

Granted but Barr had nothing to show for his placing in Rio. At least he has a medal this time. Regardless of the standard of the field, Irish athletes don't win medals that often, not since the golden era of the sport in Ireland anyway.

I think that's the point. An olympic 4th is obviously a superior achievement and often will ensure a spot in the collective memory as the likes of Eamon Coghlan and Sean Drea will testify, but the lack of hardware is still a telling factor. Give athletes the choice of an Olympic 4th or European 3rd and i'd be fairly confident a fair percentage would take the medal every time.

Nah, no difference same day, it's only 200m. Better to have a runout earlier in the day either way. She should be quicker in the evening too. Not sure how the wind is but the evening looks to very favourable weather wise. Hopefully she'll be at least 8th fastest tonight and hopefully she'll get another 2 outings on Sunday with her teammates.

Its the long wait I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Will she need a PB to have any chance of making the final? Looks a tough s/f draw for her.

Schippers aside I would have said it was the handier of the 3 semis to get.

its 4th fastest now for some reason.

Yeah she will probably need a PB alright to qualify.

• Advertisement

If it's just about medals then it's a better achievement.....

If talking about times then it's not a better achievement.....

If taking into consideration the field and event and depth it's not a better achievement.

Anyway, great result.

Advertisement