Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jmac21

There's also water there if you need it haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Urine sample isn't checked for drugs, it's checked as part of your health i.e. Hydrated and not infected

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SneakyBeaky

Yea, it's simply just to check for undiagnosed diabetes or proteins that shouldn't be there. Nothing to worry about. Also, with the adrenaline pumping, you'll have no problem filling a cup. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Yea, it's simply just to check for undiagnosed diabetes or proteins that shouldn't be there. Nothing to worry about. Also, with the adrenaline pumping, you'll have no problem filling a cup. Lol

Certainly wasn't a problem at the PCA lol

Another quick query re medical. Do we need a list of medication taken for the SMT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Yes they ask for everything Homer

swl33t wrote: »
    Yes they ask for everything Homer

Perfect, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Muffins5520

roboturnip wrote: »
    Failed the medical due to being diagnosed in the past with anxiety. It's very slight and whilst I understand their reasons for failing me, i really don't think it would have any impact on my capabilities to do the job. I plan to appeal the decision, if anyone has any experience with the process, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Totally devastated to fall at the last hurdle
    robiturnip did you appeal the decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goodburger1

Anyone know if back problems are an issue?

Depends on the problem. Your standard patrol kit weighs around 15kg and sitting in tangis aren't exactly comfortable either. I'd say get a letter from your GP if you think it is needed but also consider whether you'll be able to take the weight. You're also expected to be able to drag a colleague to safety which is no easy feat with kit on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Just a quick question. Asking for a friend. My friend suffers from migraines, his cousin suggested he take a headache tablet which turned out to be a Beta Blocker used for treating migrant. 40mg Propranolol. It is a prescription medication. Should my friend declare it? Would they asked why he has taken a proscription medication without prescription? There is no recreational use for the drug.

Better to declare than not. The guys that test for drugs are looking for the illicit type but do ask what medication you take. It means if/when it shows up in their test they don't have to chase you for answers.

Before my medical I suffered from a flu and took every tablet imagineable. It was a pain to remember them all to declare them but better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭jordansp21

Just a quick question does anyone know how strict the medical is towards hayfever and also with regards to weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Fella at PCA said medical would be within the next 2 to 4 weeks, did it take long after your PCAs to get a date from OHW?

jordansp21 wrote: »
    Just a quick question does anyone know how strict the medical is towards hayfever and also with regards to weight?

Hay fever doesn't matter. Unless it's so severe that you couldn't leave the house. Weight isn't much of an issue so long as you can complete the pca

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭jordansp21

majgreen wrote: »
    jordansp21 wrote: »

Hay fever doesn't matter. Unless it's so severe that you couldn't leave the house. Weight isn't much of an issue so long as you can complete the pca
    No no very mild some one a day tablets sometimes in the summer that's it and yea passed it yesterday with about 40 seconds left so not the best but not bad thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Fella at PCA said medical would be within the next 2 to 4 weeks, did it take long after your PCAs to get a date from OHW?

I got my date the day after PCA and the appointment was 3 weeks later. OOO just watch though cos you have answer that email to confirm that you can attend!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Drummer64

Hey all, i have been looking at the medical questionnaire and was wondering how do you find out your sick days? I don't have many and none more than the odd day but i have no record of them and I am in a new job since last year.

Drummer64 wrote: »
    Hey all, i have been looking at the medical questionnaire and was wondering how do you find out your sick days? I don't have many and none more than the odd day but i have no record of them and I am in a new job since last year.

Hey Drummer! I think it's really only blocks of days or ones requiring sick lines or doctor visits that you have to record but maybe someone who knows more than me could help more!

I hope it's that! Then at least that section will be simple :D thanks Bunsen

• Advertisement

I hope it's that! Then at least that section will be simple :D thanks Bunsen

Have yas got dates for Medicals yet?

No haven't heard anything but wanted to get a head start on this booklet. Last hurdle :D how you been?

No haven't heard anything but wanted to get a head start on this booklet. Last hurdle :D how you been?

Impatiently waiting now!!!! Been a long time comin!
    Hopefully yous will get dates through after the hols!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PCMAC

For the part of the medical forms for the GP to fill in do we just hand those in to our surgery and collect them once the GP has filled in their bit? I thought it might be an appointment with GP to make sure it's done correctly but my surgery want me to leave them with reception and they'll let me know when to collect (makes me nervous as I can forsee the forms being easily misplaced with my surgery!)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

PCMAC wrote: »
    For the part of the medical forms for the GP to fill in do we just hand those in to our surgery and collect them once the GP has filled in their bit? I thought it might be an appointment with GP to make sure it's done correctly but my surgery want me to leave them with reception and they'll let me know when to collect (makes me nervous as I can forsee the forms being easily misplaced with my surgery!)
    I was the same PCMAC, my surgery are a bit disorganised and I was also concerned about the security aspect of it (fewer people see the form the better!), so I made a double appointment with one of the doctors and he was happy to go through the form with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MayDupname

I’m a bit worried about my eye sight as I’m borderline with regards to the unaided test. With my contacts or glasses I’m fine. Would getting laser eye surgery now before I’ve received a date for a medical be an option or is it to close (Passed PCA last week). Or would I be better to wait until after the medical. If I was to fail would it possible to appeal, undergo the surgery and retest? I’m just not sure of the best approach and am willing to go down any route if it means progressing.

Thanks MayDupname - I think I'll do the same and just book an appointment to get it filled in there and then. If I left it in the worry is also that it would get forgotten about!

May, I just had laser eye surgery the day after I passed the PCA for this exact reason lol

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MayDupname

Lol, you weren’t hanging around Drummer! How long was it between your consultation, the surgery and then before your vision was 20/20? Might have to get my finger out.

• Advertisement

Just got my email with medical date - how strict are they on eyesight? Does anyone know the prescription level that's acceptable? E.g. I'm -2.50 in each eye which isn't the worst but I definitely need lenses or glasses on to see. Wasn't planning on laser at any point.

Advertisement