Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clusters of upsetting dreams

• 09-10-2016 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else find that they have clusters of upsetting dreams? I find I can often have two bad dreams a night, two or three nights in a row. Common themes are rejection and humiliation. I can't identify any triggers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Does anyone else find that they have clusters of upsetting dreams? I find I can often have two bad dreams a night, two or three nights in a row. Common themes are rejection and humiliation. I can't identify any triggers.

I've had nights like this. Each time I jolt awake from one, my side of the bed is soaked in cold sweat. In mine I often have rejection betrayal and physical injuries. No idea why but i hate them.

I once had a doctor tell me I was getting "too much sleep" so this was happening. I now am lucky to get 6-7hrs a night and I still get them. They suck.... especially the ones where you can't tell if it's real or still a dream.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have serial dreams with the same theme, whereupon someone steals my netbook when I turn my back to buy coffee or add cream in one of the javahouses I frequent. They occur randomly over past months, not knowing what triggers them. Such dreams have influenced my behaviour, where I never let my netbook out of sight or by bringing it with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Does anyone else find that they have clusters of upsetting dreams?
    Repetitive. Upsetting rare. Dreams entertain. Like spooky films. Dreams too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Time to post!.

I dream a lot, i think it's related to the fact that i don't always sleep very deeply but i'm open to correction.. I will have dreams that are like TV shows where they 'continue' from where i left off last time so to speak. These usually start out quite dull and boring but soon become nightmarish and/or very very confusing. Sometimes when once has been reaching a conclusion i can find it hard to restore reality when i wake up..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Time to post!.
    Cool!
    I dream a lot,
    Welcome! Post our Sleepy & Dreaming forum. Often!
    i think it's related to the fact that i don't always sleep very deeply but i'm open to correction.. I will have dreams that are like TV shows where they 'continue' from where i left off last time so to speak. These usually start out quite dull and boring but soon become nightmarish and/or very very confusing. Sometimes when once has been reaching a conclusion i can find it hard to restore reality when i wake up..
    Dream episodes. Beats TV soaps. Spooky dreams I enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I will have dreams that are like TV shows where they 'continue' from where i left off last time so to speak. These usually start out quite dull and boring but soon become nightmarish and/or very very confusing. Sometimes when once has been reaching a conclusion i can find it hard to restore reality when i wake up..
    You should write up your Grem Tales, which may work for grand fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Time to post!.

I dream a lot, i think it's related to the fact that i don't always sleep very deeply but i'm open to correction.. I will have dreams that are like TV shows where they 'continue' from where i left off last time so to speak. These usually start out quite dull and boring but soon become nightmarish and/or very very confusing. Sometimes when once has been reaching a conclusion i can find it hard to restore reality when i wake up..

YES! I know exactly what you mean. Nice way of putting it.

My own dreams are rarely nightmares, but they are often being being subjected to bullying, humiliation, loss etc. This all happens in familiar settings too and by people I know. It really messed with my head when I wake up, and results in my bedtime safeplace becoming not much so.

Haven't had them in a few weeks now thankfully. :)

My own dreams are rarely nightmares
    Awhile back when teen, I used to have recurrent night terrors with the same dream theme, which, if you look way, way back on this forum you probably can find mention of them. Thankfully I outgrew them and they have not reoccurred.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Awhile back when teen, I used to have recurrent night terrors with the same dream theme, which, if you look way, way back on this forum you probably can find mention of them. Thankfully I outgrew them and they have not reoccurred.

I'm delighted to hear that, BS. :)

I used to have the same nightmare since as long as I can remember. The only way I can describe it is that I'm being pushed through a pipe. It's dark, enclosing, and there's a terror within. Horrible dream.

I'm delighted to hear that, BS. :)

I used to have the same nightmare since as long as I can remember. The only way I can describe it is that I'm being pushed through a pipe. It's dark, enclosing, and there's a terror within. Horrible dream.
    Back then I lost a flatmate after I woke up screaming one too many times. Glad I outgrew those kinds of dreams years ago. I still have my missing netbook repetitive dream, where it disappears from my locale javahouse when my back is turned. Had one about a month ago or so.

• Advertisement

Back then I lost a flatmate after I woke up screaming one too many times. Glad I outgrew those kinds of dreams years ago.
    Unsettling. Never had.

Having a drink-drink tonight. (Doesn't happen often) so I not expecting any dreams tonight.

Alcohol can.be fantastic... when used responsibly.

Does anyone else find that they have clusters of upsetting dreams?
    Any more clusters? Share please.

Gosh, I had another recurring nightmare of someone stealing my netbook. Not sure if the dream setting was our locale javahouse or elsewhere, but it was once again very discomforting. When out and about, such recurrent dreams make me watch my nettie like a hawk!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Treat dreams like a test of character where there are no consequences. aummmmmmm

Gosh, I had another recurring nightmare of someone stealing my netbook. Not sure if the dream setting was our locale javahouse or elsewhere, but it was once again very discomforting. When out and about, such recurrent dreams make me watch my nettie like a hawk!

Or maybe it's the contents that you are hiding. Don't mean that in a sinister way by the way :)

Or maybe it's the contents that you are hiding. Don't mean that in a sinister way by the way :)
    Naaaaaa, any "contents" that may be of interest to others, be they fun, or hot and spicy, or of intellectual property are not saved on my little netbook, rather on a massive external drive that's never connected online. I have to do this, because unlike my main rig at home, or work lab rig, both of which have layers upon layers of protection, my nettie is too often used at unsecured wifi hotspots, and to save things on it would be asking for trouble. Of course I do surf on my nettie like anyone else, but risque things not saved, only boring things that would make you YAWN.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I am so tired today, dreams are upsetting me because they leave me so confused when i wake, genuinely questioning if i did or said things or just dreamt them..

I am so tired today, dreams are upsetting me because they leave me so confused when i wake, genuinely questioning if i did or said things or just dreamt them..

I know that feeling all to well. Hope your ok

Fathom wrote: »
    Any more clusters? Share please.

I have but they were quickly forgotten when I woke up thankfully. It is hard to shake off the residual fear or guilt though.

I had a dream last night where I had a huge hole in one of my lower inner incisors. When I woke up this morning, I kept on searching for it with my tongue. Took me a few minutes to realise that it was only a dream, which was a relief.

• Advertisement

Any of you try lucid dreaming/dream yoga?

I stretch daily, but have never tried blending it with lucid dreaming.

Had a blitz of the bad dreams last night. Still feeling it even now today.

Had a blitz of the bad dreams last night. Still feeling it even now today.
    Please do share some of these if you wish Hugo.

Confused dreams. Me too. Sometimes. Others vivid. Awake questioning. Am I awake?
    I had a dream last night where I had a huge hole in one of my lower inner incisors. When I woke up this morning, I kept on searching for it with my tongue. Took me a few minutes to realise that it was only a dream, which was a relief.
    Best friend has Ladyhawke DVD. Am I dreaming I'm dreaming?
    Not yet. Worth a try.

Absolutely, not sure if what happened really happened, unsure if actually awake, really disconcerting

Absolutely, not sure if what happened really happened, unsure if actually awake, really disconcerting
    Watch Ladyhawke movie. Phillip quote.

Fathom wrote: »
    Watch Ladyhawke movie. Phillip quote.

If i ever get enough non-confused time!. :pac:

If i ever get enough non-confused time!. :pac:
    How often have you taken an early afternoon nap, perhaps on a weekend or holiday, awoke completely disoriented, not knowing if it was late the same day, or the next morning? Yikes, I just did and awoke a few minutes ago, completely out-of-it, not knowing if it was Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. I had to get on bloody computer while still a fuzz brain to confirm day, date, and time. Methinks Swannie has been working a bit too hard and is starting to lose it.

• Advertisement

Hasn't happened in a while thankfully, though i live very much by my alarm clock :o
    It did happen once during a very chaotic stretch in March, so confused i didn't trust the time on my phone or telly!

Advertisement