Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much is the most you have paid for an item of clothing?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah most of those probably happened cos they were cheap and of lesser quality!

I'm not convinced - that expensive winter coat I bought lasted exactly 1 winter before the material started becoming shiny in places and some of the seams disintegrated. Compared to my cheap coat which I paid €40 for and which is still going perfectly strong after 5 years.

I honestly do not believe that more money buys you more quality in clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Tombo2001 wrote:
    Ah here......Andy hits us with the sucker punch......

No, it was just an inquisitive question I asked. I happen to agree with people to a certain extent if they have worked hard and earnt the money its up to them what they buy and how much they pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

I would always be on edge if I was wearing shirts in excess of 40eur that it might get ruined. Had plenty of cheap shirts ruined by bleach stains, fading colour in wash, rips, worn areas around the collars and the like... But they are cheap so it dont matter. I'd be having kittens if that happened on an expensive shirt I had bought

For some items you're better off spending on quality. A good quality tshirt can outlast several cheap penneys ones. Similarly a decent shirt will look better and stand up to wear/washing better than a cheap one from penneys.

Its often a case of buy cheap, buy twice (not to say there isnt also a lot of overpriced crap out there)

Outside of suits have spent 200 to 300 each on a few sports jackets and coats over the years. Plenty of jeans in the 100 to 200 euro range. Plenty of polo shirts and a lot of my shirts cost around or over 100 euro. Shoes are always around the 100 euro mark etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Shenshen wrote:
    I'm not convinced - that expensive winter coat I bought lasted exactly 1 winter before the material started becoming shiny in places and some of the seams disintegrated. Compared to my cheap coat which I paid €40 for and which is still going perfectly strong after 5 years.

100 euro isn't an expensive winter coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Not really, you can get bleach, stains, rips, fading colour on any shirt or most clothes no matter the price you have paid

I think I've only ever gotten bleach stains on an item of clothing once.

I don't see why concern bleach stains would be a factor in deciding how much to spend on clothes :confused: Unless I worked in a bleach factory...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

£950 on a Versace suit. Well worth it, 9 years ago. Got every job I interviewed for wearing that suit. €300 for a pair of brogues. They fit like glass slippers. Having said that, price is no indicator of comfort or quality. Girlfriend bought me a pair of snazzy shoes for my birthday last year. The set (me) her back €110 and were dilapidated in 6 months, whereas I have a pair of Dunnes imitation Converse runners that cost 10.99 and just won't die. They are brilliant and into their 3rd year of being worn 3 times a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »

It might not be to some people, but it's the most money I ever spent on any piece of clothing. And it turned out to be of poorer quality than the cheaper items I'd usually buy.

So now I stick with the cheaper stuff, get a few year's wear out of them and then bring them to recycling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Usually buy the €15 jeans from Tesco and they're grand. One Christmas, a few years ago, I bought a pair of Levis from Debenhams for €106. It was a complete panic buy, last minute kind of thing. God, how I hated those jeans, they looked terrible on me :mad:.

Spent quite a lot on a suit in Quill's for my daughter's Confirmation nearly 15 years ago. Should have been over 400 but due to sale at the time and a friend's staff discount, got it for around 200. Still use it today and it still looks smart and new. Great investment. Maybe quality did count for something with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

My wedding suit. €600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

valoren wrote: »
    My wedding suit. €600.

All my jeans are 80 to 100. That's just the price of a pair of jeans as far as I was aware.
    I don't spend money on clothes at all though.
    Few T shirts, few jumpers, few shirts, that is the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

Any decent pair of 501s are from around 80 up I've paid 105 for a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

€50 is the least I've paid for jeans. €70-€80 would be more typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think THE most expensive item was a pair of shoes. They were on sale though :pac:

I do have a good few items (dresses, jackets, jeans and more shoes) that cost around the €200 mark but they all seem to be very good quality and I've got use out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Clothes-wise it was 1400 for a suit and 700+ for a coat. Still have them (years later) though.

Shoes: about 250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

250 on a pair of boots. They were from a site that can make the boots tailored to your calf size. They were a good investment, I've gotten 3 winters out of them, they just needed to be reheeled once.
    It's always worth investing in a decent pair of shoes and a good coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

About 300 quid for a montsuki hakama.

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »

Eye Opener! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

€85 on my wedding dress
    €900 on a designer handbag

Jrop wrote: »
    €900 on a designer handbag

EEEK! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Eye Opener! :eek:

Two African kids have just starved on foot of that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Two African kids have just starved on foot of that post.

not if they made the coat and were paid a few bowls of grain to do it.

only thing I have about cheap Jeans of around a tenner mark is that the zip/flies pack up sometimes quickly and are made of poor quality and sometimes the pockets very thin material or small on the cheap jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

€4100 on a Tom Ford suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Was it made of gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Was it made of gold?

No, interwoven wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

did tom ford come with the suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure you aren't Andy From Cavan not Andy From Sligo?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No, interwoven wool.
    as opposed to non interwoven wool, which would be yarn. Would require some assembly.

600 on a pair of handmade shoes. A couple of pairs of them. Last years into decades. IIRC my oilskins from Barbour were 200 odd quid a pop. They last forever too mind you and are repairable. For jocks and socks I go Pennys/Dunnes. I don't wear suits, or haven't for years, though do have a couple of tailored pieces. Magee IIRC. One cashmere, one wool, both summer weight. Jeans are Levi. 501 or 511.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The only items of clothing I'd spend any more than was absolutely necessary on would be purely functional items to keep me warm and dry when on top of a wet, windy mountain in winter. Everything clothing wise else is totally unimportant to me.

Advertisement