Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Range Thread

Options
  • 31-01-2023 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

I'm very interested in knowing what real life range people are getting from their cars, taking into consideration; weather, driving speed/style and mileage.

I calculate range as Km traveled divided by Percentage used multiplied by 100. Obviously the longer the journey, the more accurate the result.

My current range in this weather:

58kWh ID.3 with 62,000km on update 3.0

Weather dry, calm, 6 degrees, driving on 80 to 100km roads with a moderately light foot on a 120 km round trip commute, my range is 270 km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

That's 21.5kWh/100km 😯.

A Tesla Model 3 would smoke that, in terms of efficiency.

Are you sure you don't actually have a Taycan or Model X (towing a trailer!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Tesla Model 3 LFP yesterday, with 50km M7 @ 120km/h plus 140km on various N roads & smaller. Heating at 21c, heated wheel, seat, tunes thumping etc. Dry. Temps 7/8c?

26kWh consumed for 190km travelled @ 14.1kWh/100km.

Estimated range then of 404km from the 56kWh odd (usable) battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ID.4 77kWh here, currently getting around 21.5kWh/100km for about 350km range

In warm weather I've seen that go down to ~17kWh/100km so should get around 450km range easily enough

All at motorway speeds of around 120km/h

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

21.5 is very good for an ID4 @ 120km/h I would have thought.

Id only just beat that in a M3P and MSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am more than happy with the range on my Model 3 RWD, as I have possibly mentioned a few times before..😁'

Similar enough to @Kramer on my faster runs, but a lot of my driving is on rural roads so rarely see less than 4km/% even in winter, But I prefer car at about 19 or 20C with seat heating on low and steering wheel heat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭innrain

its 50km +140 km segments each with its own speeds as the kinetic energy ~ with the square of

I know you meant it as a joke though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just posted in the Tesla Owners facebook group actually on a similar topic on Sunday night.

305km, 90% of displayed SOC used. 61kWh net but that excludes the hidden buffer so likely 56kWh available or so. M3 RWD

That's a very rough average over the past few months, which included some very mild weather and a few cold snaps

The worst I've ever seen it was heading to Dublin from Dundalk into a pretty fierce headwind and temperature around 0C. Averaged a pretty horrible 25kWh/100km so that would be barely over 300km range 😱

As I said, that's pretty much the worst I've seen it

One thing I'll give the ID.4 is that it's surprisingly aerodynamic. That's not to say it's close to Ioniq or Tesla levels, but there doesn't seem to be the massive jump in consumption between 100km/h and 120km/h that some other cars seem to suffer

Haha, when the guards ask me what speed I was travelling at I'll give them the RMS value 😂

Those trucks overtaking really increase the frequency of velocity changes

Side note, trucks overtaking should be illegal unless there's 3 lanes 😬

I hope that was tourism industry vat, not sure the guards will accept the full vat rate 😁

You know I think the best answer I have for "how much range" is enough that I'm fed up of driving by the time I need a recharge

Also if I have a second coffee before leaving I'll definitely be needing an emergency stop before the battery is even below 50% 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

The range numbers are so dependent on the journeys you are doing so as to make the numbers kinda meaningless. You can have huge variation on the same day in the same car.

For example at the weekend, After 183km of motorway I had a usage number of 24.2kWh/100km Limerick to Kill (Ionity chargers) Quick top up and continued my journey into Dublin, 30 km with a 16kWh/100km.

The difference being that the motorway was 120km/hr and the journey from Kill into Dublin was N7 and M50 plus a few K on slow roads meaning a much slower pace. It had also stopped raining and the N7 and M50 are much smoother road surfaces than most of the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Same car similar journey from full & preconditioned 320km 2 x 160km legs used 88% (returned home with 12%) delighted with that range really didn’t know how it would behave, tried to stick to 110kmph journey was prob 90% motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Up and down the M7/8 today in Hyundai 231 Kona 64k

Energy consumption 51.18kWh

Average consumption 16.51kWh/100km

Driving distance 310.00km

Recuperation 7.29kWh

Mostly at indicated 125km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

18kwh per 100kms in cupra born since start of October when I bought it

6000kms done in 4 months, but I haven't owned it in any warm weather

58kwh usable so 58/18 is 322 kms range which is what I find in reality to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Outside of winter around 200 kms range based on traveling 2 kms per percent.

In winter somewhere between 1.3 to 1.6 kms depending on temps, journeys, weather. So 130 to 160 kms

The 130 would be when doing short trips.

The run from my village to my house goes up hill and ruins efficiency on short local trips on that route.

Hyundai Ioniq 28 kwh here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

90kwh Jaguar I-Pace of which I believe 86kwh is useable, have a very consistent commute of 160km a day roundtrip of which 100km is at full motorway speed and 60km is on back roads keeping up with traffic (60-100kph) in the summer the range was holding steady at approx 370km, during the cold snap it dropped to approx 280km and is currently at approx 320kms. Don't believe in being uncomfortable so heating is on, heated steering wheel and seats too if necessary and A/C on cold in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ah now I wouldnt be sticking to 110. Speed limit plus vat, is my motto.

2020 Model 3 Performance.

I drive it like a normal car, no precondition, no departure set up etc

Just get in and drive

I leave climate on auto 24/7.use everything as and when needed

January - 655km Travelled, 194 kWh used with an average of 296 Wh/km.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

What sort of driving do you do? That performance number is pretty poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Used to be my motto too, sometimes with customs and excise in addition to Vat but the penalty points system is currently working as a expected 😭

Loads of cold City driving and lots of heavy foot driving. It’s quite good compared to the V8’s and big engines cars I’ve had before it.

From March onwards that average will drop to 194 Wh/km based on last years figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Here's a rough guide of my range

• 2021 Model 3 SR+ LFP with heat pump (approx 58-60 kWh usable), 11 months of driving
    • Distance Travelled: 26,000 kms approx. (even mix of City/Town, n-Roads and Motorway driving)
    • Total charging for the 11 months: 4,200 kWh (approx)
    • Average: ~15kWh/100KM (shows just below 150 Wh/km in Tesla dash)
    • Calculated average range: Approx 380-400 km

Disclaimer: This is back of the napkin maths, and may have slight errors in calculation.

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Looking at my sheet it looks like my wife's Ioniq 5 is averaging 22.5kWh over 7000 km.

That would include 10% for charging losses that I have in my calculations for running costs and basically preheating the car twice a day for 5-10 minutes before she sets off to and from work.

My Ioniq 28 is around 17.5 allowing for the same 10% for charging losses over 3500 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I plugged in at work this morning at 65% after leaving yesterday at 100% and doing an 80km round trip. So that's (80/0.35) 228km from a 2018-2 Leaf 40 with the heating on the whole time or 17.5kWh/100km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

I prefer worst case range predictions, then I don't need to think about it if going less than worst case range. To extend range I typically slow down to avoid a public charging stop or on long trips plan to stop at a 50kW+ charger.

For worst case I am talking 100% motorway. GPS full 120km/h, cold weather say 0 degrees, battery not preheated, headwind, rain.

EV database is good for this.

Dont trust the guessometer range display on car. Often these are deliberately optimistic and no pessimistic and dont foresee your really long high speed trip. They are often based on recent days trips which may be slow speed local trips with car preheated. Thus estimated range left is not that real unless it uses data from the day of use.

To compare like for like you need multiple EVs on the same road on the same day, which some reviewers have done. Typically Tesla is best followed by Hyundai/Kia with others struggling particularly at high speed due to shape of the car.

Advertisement