Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub

Options
  • 26-07-2021 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

Well I worked in a pub nearly all my adult life.. Since covid we opened for ten days last September.. I'm scared out of my wits.. Nearly broke down crying the last two days.. Had a job in a hardware the last two months.. On Saturday the boss told me I heard you were going back to the pub three weeks ago. I wasn't. I was going working the opening but he at the time didn't know that.. So he told me that had got an experienced guy in and I would have a week to work. He told me I was good with the customers but you can't beat an experienced guy.. I was in shock which obviously turned to anger..

Now the pub I'm really weary of. Non vaccinated told not to come.. Will the older main stayers come back.? . Its being quiet out today..

My head is wrecked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

It will grand. These things always work themselves out. You are not the only one feeling like this. Stay strong and you will prosper!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloucester

But working in a pub you’ll be wearing a mask? So you’ll be protected…..or is it that you no longer want to do pub work?

You’ll be protected by your own mask and there’ll be adequate spacing between tables etc. what exactly are you worried about?

You mention that non vaccinated told not to come, so you mean staff or customers?? IF Customers, that would be perfectly understandable due to the rulings to protect public health during the pandemic. Pub owners risk fines and in turn losing their licence for not adhering to the basic rules around it. Re older mainstayers, if you mean customers, sure they can’t be allowed in if not vaccinated and older age groups are amongst the highest vaccinated group in the country. Vaccine hesitancy / refusal is highest actually amongst younger 25-34 age group so if worried about older customers putting you at risk, for starters like said above you’ll be wearing a mask anyway and they’re vaccinated aged if they’re indoors.

What kind of contract had you got with the hardware store? I take it it was temporary if they could let you go with just a weeks notice….but definitely if you covered the opening of the pub 3 weeks ago, they were bound to think that you were going back to your original employer. Had you received a p45 from the pub and restarting with a new contract, if so is there room to negotiate whatever it is that’s worrying you.

if the pub work doesn’t appeal, perhaps look at other retail work. There appears to be plenty of retail places looking for staff so the best of luck if you’re starting off on a new career path.

Advertisement