Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Starting salaries - IT

Options
  • 06-10-2005 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭

Heya, I'm not sure if this is okay, moderators feel free to delete as appropriate. I've just started working a job with the promise of "competitive salary", as in the salary I'd be getting would match what I'd get in similar companies. However the salary hasn't gone up this year to match the market and now they want me to come back with some company names and the equivalent salaries to help me press my case.

The company considers its key competitors to be :
    Berlitz Global
    Corel
    Creative Labs
    HP
    Iona
    Microsoft
    Oracle
    Sun Microsystems
    Symantec
    Xerox

Is there anyone working in the above companies who would know what the starting salary is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can PM me if there's an issue with posting starting salaries publicly.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

As a grad you can expect to start on around 25-27 as far as I know if it is competitive. If you want a good starting salary you want to go across the pond to England. Great money in London for a grad - I started on 30k sterling and that was a good few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

it really depends on what type of work your doing... what is ur job description?

have u graduated with degree or masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've graduated with a degree. I've also done a few months work with them on a contract though they're not going to take that into account from what I can see (they have to give all graduates a standard salary).

My job description is "Graduate Software Developer". Unfortunately, because it's the exact same salary for all graduates, the individual parts of my job description don't count. For example, I do a fair bit of J2EE programming (gained a lot of experience on my contract) but that doesn't get accounted for.

Anyway, we were verbally promised a salary increase as they haven't increased it in a few years and they realised their competitors paid more. However bureaucracy got in the way, and the increase didn't show up on our contract which our manager is currently pushing to get rectified. However, company names and figures speak loudly, so we were asked to do our own bit of research.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

finlma wrote:
    As a grad you can expect to start on around 25-27 as far as I know if it is competitive. If you want a good starting salary you want to go across the pond to England. Great money in London for a grad - I started on 30k sterling and that was a good few years ago.

Sorry don't let that fool you. 25-27k certainly isn't standard for a graduate. yes graduates can get this salary but its by no means an industry standard. Hewlett packard pay their technical Support staff 19-21k. Accenture pay better rates for tech support. They pay 100-120 per day, so up to 30k. A small development firm called Manitex i worked for started me on 30k straight after my Msc. So i'd say the range of 18-30k is what you can expect to earn.

microsoft start-off - 25k. Fair play to anyone that gets through their interview process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

24k - 26k would be average basic wage starting off across the companies mentioned.

2 years ago I started on 25k with a grad position in SAP.

That 25k for Microsoft figure doesn't sound right at all. What role is it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ianmc38 wrote:
    microsoft start-off - 25k. Fair play to anyone that gets through their interview process.

Not true on both counts.

I used to work for Microsoft. Their interviews are incredibily easy (you must understand: the staff Microsoft have in Ireland are not clever people.)

They pay crappy money starting off, BUT, it's very easy to very quickly be on 36k.

But... you will be doing mongo work and working with mongos. (Brain washed mongos I might add.)

Try Oracle instead. Clever and good money.

finlma wrote:
    As a grad you can expect to start on around 25-27 as far as I know

Seriously not true.

Why would someone pay a grad (who in reality knows absolutely nothing) 25 - 27k?

It makes no sense.

Slightly OY: I have a (excellent) programmer who I manage in Bulgaria. He is on 10k. This is a GREAT salary for him and he kicks ass. Why in the world would I want to hire a crap, egotistical Irish programmer for nearly three times that amount?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

dublindude wrote:
    Seriously not true.

Why would someone pay a grad (who in reality knows absolutely nothing) 25 - 27k?

It makes no sense.

Slightly OY: I have a (excellent) programmer who I manage in Bulgaria. He is on 10k. This is a GREAT salary for him and he kicks ass. Why in the world would I want to hire a crap, egotistical Irish programmer for nearly three times that amount?
    :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Thats why you can pay him that.....you know macro economics and all that...anyway back on topic

IBM pay 26K, and this was last year so it may be even gone up a bit.

Tech support would be around the 19k-24k but I wouldnt really call it a graduate job that needs 4 years of college to prepare for however because of the recent glut in the IT industry it was the only available means by graduates to gain "industrial" experience.

A proper graduate job average would be in the region of 23k to 27k, more if you are very lucky and/or very good.

There seems to be a big increase of these jobs last few months for graduates. Seems companies are starting to see that their systems cant run on legacy systems forever so are forking out money to train recent grads properly seeing as the upturn in the last year has taken more experienceed IT staff to other jobs that now seem beneeth them.

After this year the output of IT grads will fall hugely too thus increasing the demand for graduates for the nest few years. At the end of the day graduates just want a foot in the door, they can do the rest themsleves and these graduates are by far the best way to go about it.

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    IBM pay 26K, and this was last year so it may be even gone up a bit.

IBM is where I'm working :) After Extreme Blue, we were verbally promised a graduate salary increase, to at least 27k, possibly 28. However the contract we finally got (about 2 days before starting work) didn't reflect that. I don't want to be greedy, it's a bloody great place to work and I don't plan to leave even if they don't give us an increase. The problem is that, unlike other jobs where the pay rapidly increases as you gain experience, IBM is so big, awkward and bureaucratic that that doesn't happen. Therefore if we don't shout and scream now, we'll be stuck at what we're on for the next few years or until we leave the company (which I don't want to do). No such thing as a bonus or "perks" either.
    dublindude wrote:
    Try Oracle instead. Clever and good money.

Have you got a figure for starting salary? I worked in Oracle before for an internship and swore I'd never go back there. It was an awful place to work. The work was boring and monotonous as hell, the managers were ****wits and the people there were cliquey and unfriendly. Not like IBM where everyone, managers and colleagues alike are absolutely lovely and the work is fun and stimulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

IBM pay €26,000 for extreme blue now?! When I started there - the XB interns were only getting €18,000.

I'd say €25k-€30k for the first year out of college is all you can hope to get - if you prove yourself to be good maybe you can make it up to €35,000 after the first year.

To be honest - €30k's a lot of money for anyone 1 year out of college - what the hell are you going to spend it on?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

ESB offered me €35k as a graduate engineer two years ago. I opted for the postgraduate route where I get €20k tax free.

You wouldn't even be able to get a mortgage for a lock up garage in Celbridge/Lucan on a €35k a year salary.

Aldi offer €52k a year + a fully expensed Audi A4, rising to €74k in two year's time on their graduate area manager program. I've got an interview at end of month though the stigma of having to tell your mates you work for Aldi!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I got high 30's starting out this year.

IBM pay €26,000 for extreme blue now?! When I started there - the XB interns were only getting €18,000.

Sorry, post was a little ambiguous. EB was €21,000, up from €18,000 the year before. €18k was seriously taking the piss considering how much IBM gets out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Work in London and you can get the equav of 45k with 1 or 2 investment banks. Thats assumeing you have some experience and more then one offer and know how to negotioate a better signing on fee ;)

The worst question of all in an interview is "What's your expected salary?"

Wish they would just say it as they have a idea what your worht anyway.
    Like there isnt much of a difference between 24 and 26k in take home pay.

I got asked this recently and all I did was give a big long winding talk about why im worth it and I didnt even give a figure.

Eventually I said 26k which would be about right. Still think right now that I should have said 30k but that probably might have looked greedy.
    Aldi offer €52k a year + a fully expensed Audi A4, rising to €74k in two year's time on their graduate area manager program. I've got an interview at end of month though the stigma of having to tell your mates you work for Aldi!

Werent you saying to me that Aldi work the **** out of you or was that Lidl?

AndyWarhol wrote:
    ESB offered me €35k as a graduate engineer... Aldi offer €52k a year + a fully expensed Audi A4, rising to €74k in two year's time on their graduate area manager program

Bull-****ing-****.

??????????

http://www.aldi.ie/recruitment/recruitment_1.html - No where does this suggest it is a graduate programme. It is very obviously for experienced managers.

35k for a graduate in ESB? I assume you have a PhD and your father works for ESB, right?

Total nonsense...

Rew wrote:

??????

High-30's for a graduate?

Where do you work?

FYI I work in recruitment. High-30's for a graduate DOES NOT EXIST.

What is with the extreme BS today?

dublindude wrote:
    ??????

High-30's for a graduate?

Where do you work?

FYI I work in recruitment. High-30's for a graduate DOES NOT EXIST.

What is with the extreme BS today?
    Id appricate it if you didn't rubish my salary claims just coz you havn't a clue.

You must do well in recruitment with those people skills of yours... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'm not so sure about these claims of high salary offers for recent graduates. I'm not saying some applicants won't be able to negotiate a good package for themselves but as a hiring manager I can tell you that the single factor that determines salary more than anything else is the practical experience a graduate has gained through part-time or placement experience.

I have recently hired two people to work on my team - 1 has only just started studying part time for his 3rd level qualification (not unlike me!) and the other graduated with excellent results from DCU. The first guy has 7 years real experience since leaving school, the second has spent 4 years studying since he finished secondary school. To be honest, the difference between their salaries is quite a lot and I really don't think that in 3 years time the graduate will be earning any more than the first guy - Even with his papers. Experience is what counts in my line of business so the guy without a degree at this point has the benefit of proven technology experience 'on the frontline' so to speak. He will ALWAYS have that feather in his cap, no matter where he goes after this.

All that said, I don't think it's unreasonable for a graduate to expect and receive a salary in the region of 26-28k - You won't receive it with some larger corporates but if you look towards established indiginous businesses you'll likely get it if you can demonstrate a desire to stay with them for a few years.

Gil

Well I didnt spend all my time in college studying and did get alot of practical experience/jobs. I got a 2.1 in my degree and I (nearly) have an MSc.

I negoated them up on their initial offer and I get benifits on top of my salary.

Seriously though why would I bother my arse to BS you on my slaery figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'm not saying that you're full of sh1t here Rew. What I'm saying is that the only way a graduate will swing a very good salary (in terms of current market standard) is to demonstrate some very relevant practical industry experience has been gained during the time you were studying.

The problem for grads is that the ball is still in the prospective employers court when it comes to determining your worth. An offer will be made and if you feel you're being undervalued you either present a valid argument for an increase in base salary offering or you walk away. The valuation is their call - The decision to accept it or fight for an increase is yours - Just make sure you have something tangible to reinforce your request for an increase or you WILL come across as being greedy and jeapordise any future dealings with that hiring manager.

Most of us will have a certain amount of extra to pay for really talented candidates - But just because it's there doesn't mean every 'successful' applicant will get any of it. If you have something up your sleeve then use it - But don't bluff.

Rew wrote:
    Id appricate it if you didn't rubish my salary claims just coz you havn't a clue.

You must do well in recruitment with those people skills of yours... :rolleyes:

Great response!

I still don't believe you on getting high 30's as a first job/graduate job. It's simply not practical/makes absolutely no sense.

I only know of one company who does this, and they are an oil company.

Fair play if you got this, but really, it should not happen.

I used to work for Microsoft

When was this? In what role? Name?
    Their interviews are incredibily easy (you must understand: the staff Microsoft have in Ireland are not clever people

I'm not going to flame but that is a load of pony. Perhaps you did tech support for them, but anyone who's interviewed for localisation positions or graduate programme will know this is pure waffle. 3 rounds of interviews for a job. Yeah really easy, they're not selective at all. Hire all the idiots that make it through 3 rounds of extremely technical interviews.
    They pay crappy money starting off, BUT, it's very easy to very quickly be on 36k.

Again waffle, 1 of my friends started in Microsoft recently on 25k, graduate position. Pay rates do rise quickly though.
    But... you will be doing mongo work and working with mongos. (Brain washed mongos I might add.)

<sigh>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

22K would be an OK starting graduate salary. Maximum 28K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

Rew wrote:
    Rew wrote:
    Well I didnt spend all my time in college studying and did get alot of practical experience/jobs.
    so did you have previous jobs or are you just starting
    your first job
    Rew wrote:
    I got a 2.1 in my degree
    with the low standard of todays degree courses a 2:1
    just ain't that good.

Where i work graduate package is:
    salary 18K
    after 6 months 20k
    after 1 year 22k
    + vivas, 300 bonus, 2 training courses per year, home broadband
    then salary negotiations yearly

we got hundreds of applicants for these jobs, with the salary
    clearly advertised, we even got people who graduated 2 years
    ago and couldn't find a job.lots of 1:1s

I don't believe your %37% figure.
    1:
    What sector is the company in
    2:
    what sort of company is it(multinational,small,foreign,etc..)
    3:
    did you discuss your pay increases
    graduate salaries usually rise by 30-50% in 2 years of graduating

Its just not fesible for a compnay to pay a graduate that much.

Do you work for the compnay that does PPARS?

Seems that the average is 25k but let me tell you one thing

I know of someone who worked in IBM for 12 months for the usual 26k salary. After not even a year with the company he left for another job in Cork for a 37k salary.

Pretty damm good for a clueless graduate who knows nothing!!

He was good at what he was doing but nothing special really.

22K would be an OK starting graduate salary. Maximum 28K

No i started on 30k in my 1st graduate job, but that is alot higher than average.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

jank wrote:
    Seems that the average is 25k but let me tell you one thing

I know of someone who worked in IBM for 12 months for the usual 26k salary. After not even a year with the company he left for another job in Cork for a 37k salary.

Pretty damm good for a clueless graduate who knows nothing!!

He was good at what he was doing but nothing special really.

he would learn more in that 1 year than 4 in college

ibm are very respected

Advertisement