Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm doing BESS

Options
  • 14-09-2005 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Guess I'll be putting up ith 4 years of "Oh gawsh what commoners those skangers over there" and "Oh yuk you went to a community school?" :(

Comments

Guess I'll be putting up ith 4 years of "Oh gawsh what commoners those skangers over there" and "Oh yuk you went to a community school?" :(

Have a scroll through some of the previous threads, there's a fairly substantial section on B€$$ heads. The conclusion being that though the stereotype exists, it doesn't hold through for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Ignore those ****. Yes there exists the D4 scum, but coming from an incoming SF student they are absolutely in the minority.

What's FAR more annoying than that is the snobbery to BESS students - here included. I think the soundest person I know in the whole of college is a BESS student who lives in the heart of Sandymount.

Given certain external parameters, the next person who says to me "BESS, pfft" in real life will get a smack.

Stupid gimps. It's an economics course - we're by and large boring nerds for God's sake. Sit at the front (read 6th row, nobody sits in first 4 and the 5th is occupied by mature students) and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Yea i'm doing Bess also.
    I've heard about the stereotypical BESS student, including the fact that it has the best birds. True?
    Of course there will be the D4 heads, maybe they won't be as bad as people make them out to be. I dunno. I'm going in with an open mind. i won't judge somebody by where they come from.
    Why do we start so late? Everyone i know is back already.
    Is it difficult taking economics up considering I never took it for the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Yea i'm doing Bess also.
    I've heard about the stereotypical BESS student, including the fact that it has the best birds.
    Only if you have a fetish for shallow, ugg-boot wearing oompa loompas.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

my friend does bess ( he's a typical anti bess boy) and Ive gone to some of his lectures.
    There really is a handful of bess types. the usually sit isn the back left so stay away from there! there are 400 or so in bess lectures only about 50 or so are the bess types and theyre ok! so dont worry, ull b fine!

• Advertisement

Yea i'm doing Bess also.
    I've heard about the stereotypical BESS student, including the fact that it has the best birds. True?
    The BESS (TR081) students sit in with lectures with all the other courses (e.g. Philosophy + Politics, Sociology + Social Policy) so it's hard to say if "BESS" girls are the best; but you'll find no hotter than those in the Ed Burke, yeah :).

Of course there will be the D4 heads, maybe they won't be as bad as people make them out to be.
    You're right. Speaking from my year (I can't speak for yours) there's only a few ****.
    I'm going in with an open mind. i won't judge somebody by where they come from.
    It's better than some people!
    Why do we start so late? Everyone i know is back already.
    We still run on the traditional calender and we stay a little bit later than other colleges.
    Is it difficult taking economics up considering I never took it for the LC?
    No. College economics is difficult just like any other subject, but not having LC economics is no big help. I know I was flippin deadly at LC economics and still had to study to get through JF economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

The arts block has some stuning women. Some need to stop with the fake tan though. I likes my pale skin!

Thanks Angry Banana for answering them questions.
    Only if you have a fetish for shallow, ugg-boot wearing oompa loompas

God, i really hope there isn't many of these. :(

Looking forward to starting now. I wish we started earlier and finished earlier.

What are our breaks, mid-terms and that?

Sorry if i'm repeating questions already asked elsewhere on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

oompa lumpars are people too, iv talked to a few of them before some of them are alright and alot aren't even from d4 despite appearences

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

snorlax wrote:
    oompa lumpars are people too, iv talked to a few of them before some of them are alright and alot aren't even from d4 despite appearences
    Heretic!!

You're supposed to blindly hate BOPs, not admit that they're people too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Bop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

B: Blonde (as in the hair colour that they always have)
    O: Orange (the colour of their skin)
    P: Pink - there's always wearing at least one garment that's pink

Hence BOP, an entire subculture in Trinity (and even moreso in UCD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Pet wrote:
    B: Blonde (as in the hair colour that they always have)
    O: Orange (the colour of their skin)
    P: Pink - there's always wearing at least one garment that's pink

Hence BOP, an entire subculture in Trinity (and even moreso in UCD).

Wow. My school is full of them carroty yokes. Go figure; it's one of those posh South Dublin schools that's always high up on the lists of where Trinity and UCD students come from; which means I probably know most of the future BESS Boppers for year 2005/6 already...ugh :(

but some of these supposed BOP's aren't even from dublin, they just adopt a persona to fit in.
    stereotypes are often unjustfied as they blow common charachteristics out of porportion to box people into groups and then associate physical charachteristics/ appearences as predisposors to the person's personality.

people are the same whether from d4 or anywhere else, they'r biologically and physically Homo Sapiens too, they just look different in our eyes because wer'e not a member of that specific group or subculture as Pet put it.

but our own groups often adopt their own persona we just don't see it that quickly as why would we want to believe that wer'e a member of a homogenous group with only one collective mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

[Random]why can't we all be part of one big collective like the borg?[/Random]

Considering about taking up German as an extra optional subject in German. I'm not sure whether to take it up or not. I know BESS has less than 14 hours a week, not sure? BUt i don't want large gaps in between lectures waiting for the language lecture. I'd have to get a bus to and from college so i don't want to be hanging round for a couple of hours everyday, even though i know i'll have to do this the odd time for the standard course anyway.

Anybody here done it already, that can fill me in on the ins and outs of it. Thanks!

Only do the German if you like it and you're good (LC HB3 minimum) at it.

I don't like languages and my dad was trying to convince me to take it up. My friend who got a B1 in the LC dropped out because it was just too hard and he didn't like it. Yeah it's a decent little tidbit to add to a CV but take it up at your peril! I'm fecking delighted I didn't go near it.

I know it's only 2 hours on top of about 15 hours but still, it's a very demanding level.

And for the record, the comments made by Snorlax are heard far more often in a BESS lecture theatre than the "Ewww, working-class" sterotypes that are flung around. Don't take the stereotype too seriously.

Yea i got a B1 but had hoped for an A. Still would feel bit rusty going straight into a test. I heard u have to do one in the first week?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Serenity wrote:
    [Random]why can't we all be part of one big collective like the borg?[/Random]

Watch this space, interesting things happening in the dark corners of the Llyod Building.

*cue evil laugh*

John2 wrote:
    Watch this space, interesting things happening in the dark corners of the Llyod Building.

*cue evil laugh*

Ah so that's what they're doing on the mysterious 5th floor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ssh! Don't mention the 5th floor, there be dragons.

Yea i got a B1 but had hoped for an A. Still would feel bit rusty going straight into a test. I heard u have to do one in the first week?
    Do you like studying German? That's the most important question to ask.

I'm not sure about a test in the first week but I can't imagine it counts to your end of year grade, so I presume it's an entry/assessment exam as opposed to anything else. You should be fine, but expect to add as another subject to your 5, which is an extra 20% workload. It's up to you.

To be honest I'd be inclined to say (unless you're proud etc) if you want to try it go for it and drop out if necessary. Please note there was a deadline for applying last year (I can't speak for this year) that was BEFORE you registered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Wow that's nerdy..

Ah here.. Snorlax! I'm surprised at you. What would possess you to type that? Did you think that it was "cool" or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

Dead Ed wrote:
    I spit on you. That 7 bird is ok though, especially in the ass hugging uniform... evil things should be done to her. evil, evil things.

evil things as in taking said character from behind while shouting "assimilate this bitch!pow"?

dam i hate typing in rubber gloves (dont ask)

Dead Ed wrote:
    diffusing toluene through SiOCH3 thin films in the cleanroom, you dirty pervert.

bloody right, and no better way to spend this fine morning in belgium. the c**ts.

ohhhhhhhhh, its sssssooooooooooo dirty..........mmmmm toluene, yea thats right diffuse through that SiOCH3 good, yea you ditry bitch ya!

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Wow that's nerdy..

Ah here.. Snorlax! I'm surprised at you. What would possess you to type that? Did you think that it was "cool" or something?

when i was small i used to watch Voyager, the other ones wer'e terrible.

i think i had a little to much caffiene in my system, edit/d on account of maintaining " coolness"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

fade wrote:
    bloody right, and no better way to spend this fine morning in belgium. the c**ts.

ohhhhhhhhh, its sssssooooooooooo dirty..........mmmmm toluene, yea thats right diffuse through that SiOCH3 good, yea you ditry bitch ya!

What everyone doesnt realise fade is in a gimp siut with gloves and a face mask!

Dirty slu t !!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

I can personally assure you that this is the truth, your hole truth and nothing but the tooth, so help me blogg

and? whats the problem? so maybe i like dressing up in an aqua marine cleanroom suit, putting on rubber gloves and a face maskand experijmenting on a type of silicon, whats the big deal?

sure dead ed here likes nothin better than breaking pieces of silicon, on his own, in a corner of the building that no body ever ventures! i wonder what else he gets up to over there, most likely masturbation if you ask me!

• Advertisement

bbbrrraaaaiiinnnnnnssssss..........

Advertisement