Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

out of the frying pan, into the fire?

Options
  • 19-08-2005 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

my first choice was law in trinty but i got 540 so im probably gonna get an offer of a BESS on monday. the thing is im really pleased with that i actually like economics and the rest. the sort of annoying thing is all the d4 heads and stuff who do it. is it really as bad and as hated a course as people say? i went to the Institute and was hoping to escape them but it dosnt look like thats gonna happen now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

a) 'only 540'? that's an amazing result!

b) BESS will probably feel a thousand times more diverse after the Institute - there's all sorts of different types there. Each course has it's cliche, the lab rats and computer geeks down in the Hamilton, the ambassador's spouses doing European Studies and the rest of it - and the BESS BOP heads, but the beauty of college is that you can choose who you want to meet and spend time with outside of your course.

Check out the long list of societies and clubs - each of them will have BESS students in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I went to a fair few BESS lectures... and the sad thing is... the majority of the people in the class do come across as those annoying stereotypes you're trying to run away from. On the upside though with a class that big you're definitly going to find people you like and who like you. As for the soc side of things... For the last 2 years at least one officer of DURNS (alt music soc) has been doing BESS...so at least theres a bit of pedigree if you're into your music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I think there's actually a topic somewhere on the board discussing whether the stereotype holds true or not, if you do a search you'll probably find loads of people's views.

Personally I just finished my BESS degree in June and I found that over the four years although yes there are numerous people who fit the stereotype, the majority do not. Even a lot of the people who you may initially think are big D4 heads, when you get to know them they're broadly speaking lovely. In first year you'll be in big 300 or 400 people lectures so that can be a bit disorientating but make sure you go to your tutorials so you can get to know a few people more similar to you if you're finding it overbearing. In later years you have nuch smaller classes and it's much better. Last year I had one class for instance with only 14 of us in it and everyone got on really well.

Is 540 not enough for Law in UCD these days or did you prefer BESS to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

BE$$

Heh Heh Heh

The soon to be vanquished faculty........

Andrew_83 - sure, you're the biggest D4 head of them all!?!?!?

You forgot the € symbol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i was very nearly a BESS head myself..was going to do accounting but it wasn't really for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i had bess down, did ICT instead... but awayinthehills there is so much life in trinity outside of class if it all goes pearshaped, like the legendary SFSOC!!!! but i know a lot of BESS students and they are actually quite nice although there are a lot of the stereotypical B€$$ HEADS... but they are fun to look at!

DrIndy wrote:
    Andrew_83 - sure, you're the biggest D4 head of them all!?!?!?

Yeah yeah sure sure as Joe Duffy might say!

Joooooeeeee Duffffffyyyyyyyy!

Andrew_83 - this is why you are a B€$$-Head:

- You wear Abercrombie and Fudge.....
    - You are a southsider...
    - You say Loike and Shtuff....

Pot and kettle!

DrIndy wrote:
    Joooooeeeee Duffffffyyyyyyyy!

Andrew_83 - this is why you are a B€$$-Head:

- You wear Abercrombie and Fudge.....
    - You are a southsider...
    - You say Loike and Shtuff....

Pot and kettle!

i think indy's been sampling drugs again. remember, it's 'prescribe', not 'imbibe'.

• Advertisement

cuckoo wrote:
    i think indy's been sampling drugs again. remember, it's 'prescribe', not 'imbibe'.
    You're a B€$$-head too! Somehow you managed to hide this fact and pretend to study science for a number of years.....

Well I am from the southside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Oddly enough, there are decent human beings in BESS, though some of them do feel the need to hide behind the "DORT" facade. Don't worry about it.

Andrew 83 wrote:
    Well I am from the southside

loike, omg, me too!

note to self: mocking BESS speak in a thread intended to reassure potential BESS students as to the diversity of their classmates is not a good idea, but it is fun...

im from the southside too:)!

the southside rocks, it's got Dalkey (and Agent smith!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

snorlax wrote:
    im from the southside too:)!

the southside rocks, it's got Dalkey (and Agent smith!)
    Neither of those instill in me any kind of enthusiasm.

But I have to go to college on the southside so... Meh.

well you'v a southside accent Seb so you can join us! ;)

snorlax wrote:
    well you'v a southside accent Seb so you can join us! ;)
    AHEM - I most wholeheartedly and aggressively dispute that statement!!!!

It is a London accent and you know it!!

Lousy assuming Southsiders... For shame! ;)

it didnt sound like a london accent last night! are you english?

also whats the difference between a scottish and donegal accent ? i find it impossible to tell the difference between the two

oh Seb who was that girl? i saw the photo!

• Advertisement

snorlax wrote:
    it didnt sound like a london accent last night! are you english?

also whats the difference between a scottish and donegal accent ? i find it impossible to tell the difference between the two

I think that removes any doubt as to your capability to distinguish accents.
    As in; you have none! :p

But then my brother-in-law is from Donegal and I generally have a good ear for distinguishing between Glasgow/Edinburgh/Aberdeen accents so I'm pretty aware of the difference tbh.

As for your first question: I was born in England, and despite living here for 15 years I still have this accent. Weird, innit?

EDIT: What photo?!? Is it incriminating, or is there no need for me to flee the country on this occasion???

i better pm you it, actually there's afew pics of you up in pdaddy (and of myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i think mine look the worst - i hate pictures of me :/

some *classic* ones of me trying to dance though :P

im not sure id fancy a picture of myself getting very friendly with someone posted on the net, nearly as bad as my sis trying to post that stupid baby photo up.
    im giving Seb a hug in one of the photos, it's funny cos i don't even remember Stephen taking those photos, he must be a professional!

Oh...
    dear...
    lord...

I swear, next time I see jesjes and her camera at one of these things, I'm either going to run a mile or nick it off her and hide it til I've made good my escape.

I'm only in about 3 photos tho, thank god for small mercies... :rolleyes:

check the fetching one of me when i'm about to leave with my jacket on - i look like i've a really awful ronny :D

i think someone hit Jes for yeh Seb :)

crash_000 wrote:
    check the fetching one of me when i'm about to leave with my jacket on - i look like i've a really awful ronny :D

i think someone hit Jes for yeh Seb :)
    LoL... Yeah, well... She may have had that coming! :D

Incidentally, there's a pic, #78 I think, and Stephen seems, ahem, very "impressed" shall we say, at Moriarty's ass. Seriously, just look at his face! :D

Well, Aidan does have a fine arse... going to check :D

.....thats quite an odd face.

• Advertisement

Tbh, Stephen looks pretty f**kin hilarious in practically every pic he's in!
    Funny b*stard indeed...

Advertisement