Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International recognition of degrees

Options
  • 21-04-2005 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

What are the differences in the courses of doing pharmacy in UCC and doing it in Trinity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

They are both professionally accredited by the Pharmacy Society, so like medicine, you get an identically recognised degree. Trinity is the original and most established school of pharmacy.

It comes down to personal preference, we on this board would of course give Trinners for Winners as its a cool college. Look at the differences in other college aspects like clubs and societies and location........ then decide....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

You actually interested in applying for either? Or looking for advice for a friend? I'd encourage someone applying to go to the area that suits them best. Like if you live in commuting distance of cork, put cork as ur preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Yeah id prefer to go to Cork as i live in Kerry but id like to know what exactly are the differences within the two courses

Ok, I don't actually know the ans to ur query so i'll stop spamming soon, but I think indy stated the bottom line, at the end of the day they're both the same. AFAIK no one from pharmacy posts on this board.....we'll see

Professionally accredited degree = identical standard. Any Pharmacy degree in Ireland must be of a set standard following a specified (but not prescriptive *excuse pun*) set of guidelines issued by the Irish Pharmacy Society for you to be registered with them to work professionally in Ireland as a pharmacist.

There may be subtle differences in the course structure and the exams, but that will be all. There may be differences in the status of both degrees (Trinity is better recognised internationally so it may be an advantage if you want to work overseas).

The bottom line is all the other things that go with college life........

• Advertisement

I was led to beleive that Ireland is one of the best places to have a pharmacy degree and to work as a Boots/McNamara type over the counter pharmacist. Seeing the monopoly they have on non-prescription drugs etc. Well, it was a monopoly. Also the mark up.... For a 4 year degree, 1 year "training", and the money you get, I reckon pharmacy would be up there as one of the best courses to do if you wanted to make loads of money.

Yeah doctors earn a sh!t load in a lot of cases after a while, but they also have some kind of responsiblilty and pressure and stress. The pharmacist just has to learn to read prescriptions, ask girls if they're on the pill when giving them an antiobiotic and hey presto that's it.

Does anyone disagree? Is a pharmacist a glorified and highly paid sweet shop merchant?

yes and no...... :D

Lets convince sci0x to go to Trinity! Trinner Kicks Ass! List all the pros of going here and we will convince him yet its the best choice!

Accesible to every type of entertainment Ireland offers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

bess girls to snort coke off.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

Tourists to make fun of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Does anyone disagree? Is a pharmacist a glorified and highly paid sweet shop merchant?

in india i believe anyone can be a pharmacist. u have to 'buy' a license for a few quid first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

bess girls to snort coke off.....

that seems to be a recurring theme....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

It's smith's phrase of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Whereabouts in Kerry do you live? Even if you live near the Cork border you're looking at a long commute and expensive bus fares unless you move to on-campus accommodation. But you'd still be close enough to go home at the weekends to do the washing and such..

Being from kerry, if you apply to Trinity you'd be a shoe-in for campus accommodation as well, and I'd imagine there's a better campus life here due to a bigger student body. I'd also say that the college life in general is better here for the same reason.

So you gotta weigh it up yourself, it's all a matter of convenience.

theres also these mad kerry prizes things if u do well in the leaving cert.
    some people i know got laptops, and free commons (dinner) for 2 years, and u get it for longer if u get a 2.2 or above in the schol exams at the end of 2nd year.
    Apparently.
    Im not from Kerry though, so im not sure on the exact details of that, or how many are given out.

pseudonym wrote:
    theres also these mad kerry prizes things if u do well in the leaving cert.
    some people i know got laptops, and free commons (dinner) for 2 years, and u get it for longer if u get a 2.2 or above in the schol exams at the end of 2nd year.
    Apparently.
    Im not from Kerry though, so im not sure on the exact details of that, or how many are given out.
    Argh, I was kicking myself when I found out about it a few weeks ago, I could have gotten that! Why, oh why didn't I read that fresher's manual thingy that came in the pack!

I was under the impression he was joking.

Evidently not..

not everything i say is a complete fabrication, just most of it.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I was under the impression he was joking.

Evidently not..
    Nope, it's in one of my booklets. Something like ~€3000 and commons I think.

How does the RCSI medicine degree rate internationally?

• Advertisement

compared to trinner and those in the know, not as highly...... imo

RCSI is one big trademark and they certainly churn out more overseas students than we do.

In the end, however an accredited medicine degree is just that (medical council maintains minimum standards) and the college is less important than for other degrees such as Arts.....

However in Trinner, we don't get carted all over the country for our placements as we have huge capacity in our teaching hospitals....

wtf? talk about random..

thread split

EDIT:
    Merged with pharmacy thread and name changed to international recognition of degrees, cos that's sorta what the first post is about and where this questioning came from

:D

How about the BESS thing? Does it get ooohs and ahhhs in the USA or UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

in the UK, the big london banks and consultants love the bess thing. but, like with any undergrad these days, you have to have a masters on top of it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

in the UK, the big london banks and consultants love the bess thing. but, like with any undergrad these days, you have to have a masters on top of it...

College will no doubt be implementing changes to do with the Bologna Declaration. My reservations are that levels 8 9 and 10 arent really fairly rated.

Do you think an MA (in Trinity) required the work an (M Phil M Litt or MSc) did?

Do you think the PhD is the same as a ScD?

Anyway the idea is that europe wide they all fit into a 1- 10 scale.

ISAW wrote:
    Do you think the PhD is the same as a ScD?
    Explain?

No, no and no.....

You go from BSc to PhD and then ScD

Or BA to DPhill to DA.

A DSc is only award to those who have had a PhD for more than 3 years standing. They must produce such an outstanding work of research that they are chosen by their peers to receive this very prestigious Doctor in Science.

TCD had a habit of throwing them out like there was no tomorrow to academic staff, but now they have implemented and extensive review process with external examiners to further increase the status of the award.

To the best of my knowledge, a DSc does not even exist in the bologna system as you are not a student and there is nothing to study for apart from outstanding research in your field. All people who receive this have researcher jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Explain?
    Go to any library desk and look at part II of the Calendar.
    True there was a rehash of the procedure but still a PhD EdD Dphil DSc are all at the same level 10.

Similarly an MA MSc MPhil MLitt are all at the same level - 9

Now are they all the same?

I think not. Look at what is required for them in each course.

As regards the PhD - it is level 10 but is it the same as an MD - where we came into this? And what about the new DEd - it is not a fully research PhD but is it about the same as a PhD? I would think so . Others might not.

then you have the masters of dental whatemits for Md's what about them?

• Advertisement

ISAW wrote:
    Go to any library desk and look at part II of the Calendar.
    Nah..

Advertisement