Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Motor Museums

• 08-03-2005 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

While we have no purpose-built National Motor Museum, fortunately we do posess forward-looking individuals who have established motor museums around Ireland !

Museum of Irish Transport (Sadly now closed! 2-7-07),
    Killarney,
    Co. Kerry.
    064 34677

www.gleneaglehotel.com/transmues.htm

I have visited this museum and, in my opinion, it is currently the best in the Republic.
    The collection includes the unique Irish-built 1907 Silver Stream car, a red (!) DeLorean DMC12, the largest collection of Wolsely cars in the world and a huge collection of original Irish roads signs, car magazines and memorabilia, etc.
    It even has a small re-created 1930's garage!

Museum of Transport (NOW CLOSED ??? 26-4-06)
    Gortnafleur Business Park,
    Clonmel,
    Co. Tipperary.
    052-29727 (Phone before visiting).

www.visitclonmel.com/MuseumOfTransport.asp

Another excellent motor museum with a collection of c.20 cars and memorabilia.

Kilgarvan Motor Museum
    Kilgarvan,
    Co. Kerry.
    064-85346

www.kenmare.net/jjmitchell/

A family-run museum established in 1985.
    Vintage and classic cars and memorabilia. Coffee Shop.
    Restoration, repair and servicing service.

I haven't visited this museum as yet. Information from leaflet.

An Dun Transport And Heritage Museum
    Doon, Ballinahown,
    Athlone,
    Co. Westmeath.
    0902-30106

www.shannonregiontourism.ie/detail.asp?memberID=12173

Collection of vintage and classic cars, trucks and farm machinery.
    I have been told that this is an excellent museum.

Motor Museum
    Castle Avenue,
    Buncrana,
    Co. Donegal.
    077-61130

Private collection of vintage/classic cars incl a 1929 Rolls Royce and ex-Douglas Bader (Battle of Britain fighter ace) 1951 Alvis Drophead Coupe.
    Vehicles displayed in large warehouse beside B&B.
    Open Summer 10am-6pm and Sundays only rest of year.

National Transport Museum
    Howth Demesne
    Howth,
    Dublin 13.
    01-832 0427 (during opening hours only)

www.nationaltransportmuseum.org

A large collection of commercial vehicles, ex-public service vehicles (i.e. buses, military vehicles).Many restored and on public display.
    The collection comprises of 170+ vehicles with the oldest dating from 1883 and the newest 1984.
    The volunteers who maintain this collection deserve high praise for retaining many vehicles which would otherwise have been scrapped or exported !
    (N.B. - Donations or helping hands always required !)

Irish Agricultural Museum
    Johnstown Castle,
    Co. Wexford.

The award-winning museum has a display of Ferguson tractors and associated implements, a David Drown Cropmaster, a Renault 4 (!) ....along with a vast array of agricultural equipment. Well worth a visit!
    (Lovely grounds around the castle for a stroll!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum
    Cultra,
    Holywood,
    Co. Down
    BT18 OEU, Northern Ireland,
    TEL +44 (0)28 9042 8428

http://www.uftm.org.uk/

The award winning galleries of the Transport Museum display Ireland's most comprehensive transport collections from horse drawn carts to Irish built motor cars, from the mighty steam locomotives which graced our railways to the history of ship and aircraft building (info from website - The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, voted Irish Museum of the Year)

I go here quite often and it's a fantastic day out for a family. As well as the transport museum the adjoining folk museum is well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I have thought of two other museums not mentioned.

When I was younger, I once had a Cardall Postcard of the Blarney Motor Museum, but no one seems to remember where it was.

I also remember a photograph of a number of cars in an Irish Tourist book by
    John Hinde in the early 80s taken at the Dunleer motor museum. One of the
    cars was a Volvo P coupe and i think a fire engine.

Perhaps maybe there might be an update on what happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

G Luxel wrote:
    I have thought of two other museums not mentioned.

When I was younger, I once had a Cardall Postcard of the Blarney Motor Museum, but no one seems to remember where it was.

I also remember a photograph of a number of cars in an Irish Tourist book by
    John Hinde in the early 80s taken at the Dunleer motor museum. One of the
    cars was a Volvo P coupe and i think a fire engine.

Perhaps maybe there might be an update on what happened to them.

Perhaps Blarney Museum is now the Museum of Irish Transport in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Silvera wrote:
    Perhaps Blarney Museum is now the Museum of Irish Transport in Killarney.
    Since when did Kerry annex a large part of Cork?

thought u might like to know that the museum of transport in clonmel is closed. Maybe someone knows if it has moved to another premises. There is now a coffee shop there now.

(See edited Museum details above)

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote:
    Since when did Kerry annex a large part of Cork?

The collection could have been moved to Killarney years ago ;)

Thanks for the update G Luxel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the Kilgarven Museum in Kerry is well worth a visit.Run by friendly lnowledgable enthusiast family and has a GRRRRRRRRREAT scrapyard out the back.....:)

corktina,

What sort of vehicles are scrapped there?
    Do they sell parts from the vehicles?
    (If so we could list them in the 'Dismantlers' thread)

Cheers
    Silvera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres a bit of forest with alot of clasics of various makes...i think they would sell you soem bits if you really needed them......not sure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

There's all sorts of cars there from a Rolls Silver Sprit, beetles, rovers, old fords and a few old american classics and a few old Bmw's. Its a great place for looking around, you could spend hours there.

• Advertisement

Irish Museums Listing
    Irish Museum Association

www.irishmuseums.org/directory.asp

A useful directory for all sorts of museums around Ireland!

What happened to the Museum in Killarney? I couldnt find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The transport museum in Kilarney closed down recently and its particularly Irish collection of rare cars were auctioned off in the UK on April 30 2007

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/04/22/story23031.asp

Is there or Was there a Transport museum in Dunleer, Co. louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

There is a new Agricultural/Country Machinery and Tractor Museum in Charleville, North Cork run by Bob Troy. Fascinating spot and well run. Not sure of contacts though but ya cant miss it in Charleville

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

el tel wrote: »
    The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum
    Cultra,
    Holywood,
    Co. Down
    BT18 OEU, Northern Ireland,
    TEL +44 (0)28 9042 8428

http://www.uftm.org.uk/

The award winning galleries of the Transport Museum display Ireland's most comprehensive transport collections from horse drawn carts to Irish built motor cars, from the mighty steam locomotives which graced our railways to the history of ship and aircraft building (info from website - The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, voted Irish Museum of the Year)

I go here quite often and it's a fantastic day out for a family. As well as the transport museum the adjoining folk museum is well worth a visit.
    2exrptj.jpg 105E Anglia at Cultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 penfold944

corktina wrote: »
    the Kilgarven Museum in Kerry is well worth a visit.Run by friendly lnowledgable enthusiast family and has a GRRRRRRRRREAT scrapyard out the back.....:)

I dropped in to visit that place back in 2005 but it appeared all closed up...

On the plus side, there was a sign that said Bantry 20 miles - and it was the most amazing mountain road I've driven in my life... Top down in a Porsche across a mountain top.. Amazing !

Although, the Stelvio Pass is pretty special too :)

Best museum I've ever visited was the Princes car collection in Monte Carlo... If you ever happen to be there, really worth a visit..

Pity we dont have much like that here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

corktina wrote: »
    re penfold 944----Its still open as far as i know,though for some reason not on sundays for some reason iv been told. Iv been meaning to get down there one of these weekends, just havent got around to it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Just in case someone from our esteemed government reads this section, I thought I would add my voice to the many who are seeking a National Motor Museum to be build in Nass, to house the fantastic "Boland" collection, and to aggregate together some other collections, whose owners are feeling the march of time.

If this museum is not build in the near future, we may loose the Boland collection and many other collections to the enivitable auction that happens when the original curator / collector is not in a position to keep the collection in tip top condition.

We need a large modern building with humidity control.

Ireland deserves a National Motor Museum of note.

ok,whats the boland collection? never heard of it? anything of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m2p2008

there youst to be one in tipp years a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The Boland collection is a private collection owned by Jim Boland, member of various Clubs in Ireland, based close to Nass. Jim kindly allows people to see the collection by prior arrangement.

There are various Rolls Royce cars, Bugatti's, Mercedes...............you name it and most have been owned by "celebrities" or have fascinating histories.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Correct.
    MercMad wrote: »
    The Boland collection is a private collection owned by Jim Boland, member of various Clubs in Ireland, based close to Nass. Jim kindly allows people to see the collection by prior arrangement.

There are various Rolls Royce cars, Bugatti's, Mercedes...............you name it and most have been owned by "celebrities" or have fascinating histories.

Found this page from the John Hinde Book, Ireland - Its beauty and Splendour
    It was printed after 1979 so this museum in Dunleer called the Rathgory is still there? havent ever heard any mention of it anywhere....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Mmmm interesting !

I never heard of it but they do have a very similar fire tender in the museum in Howth.Could be the same one ?

There was also a small musuem in Lusk/Rush back in the 70's/early 80's. I recall going there and there was a coffee shop and working watermill wheel there all indoors. Nobody else seems to remember it and I cant recall exactly where it was ?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

MercMad wrote: »
    Mmmm interesting !

I never heard of it but they do have a very similar fire tender in the museum in Howth.Could be the same one ?

There was also a small musuem in Lusk/Rush back in the 70's/early 80's. I recall going there and there was a coffee shop and working watermill wheel there all indoors. Nobody else seems to remember it and I cant recall exactly where it was ?

Yes, I remember being there once when I was about 7 in the mid 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MorrisCooper

The Killarney Museum was a collection of cars accummulated by the late Denis Lucey from Macroom. Denis was a country vet and found many of the cars in barns etc in the course of his work. The collection was housed in Scotts Gardens, at the back of a hotel in Killarney. When the hotel decided to expand, the collection had to either move or be sold off. While there were offers to house the collection elsewhere, no one was prepared to cover the costs of the daily running/wages etc involved so Denis' family arranged to have to lot auctioned off.

The Killarney museum held the largest collection of vintage Wolseleys but my favourite aspect of it was all the small items such as the tools and components, magazines etc.

There is another small collection near Firies near Farranfore, Co. Kerry. I've been there but can't remember the contact details.

Years ago, there was an attempt to open a car museum in part of the Galway Crystal factory but it never came to fruition. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I was at the National Transport Museum in Howth today.

Well worth a visit if you havent been already. Some pretty historic vehicles, my only gripe was it was a very tight in space to actually get in and around for a decent look.

There were some artic tractor units from the 60's used by CIE there that are really unbelievably huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ballykine43

Does anyone know if there is still a Car and Transport Museum in Slane, Co Meath. The Tourism sites refer to it but I can't find anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 RS1700T

Does anyone know if there is still a Car and Transport Museum in Slane, Co Meath. The Tourism sites refer to it but I can't find anything about it.

Closed many years ago , had some interesting cars including a Glas IIRC on period Irish plates , though I had never seen it on the road before visiting the museum .

Advertisement