Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, it begins...

Options
  • 14-02-2005 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Campaigning for the elections and referenda officially started at midnight... I was watching out of a window in House 7 and it was v funny watching everyone vie for prime position on the door of House 6 the second the clock hit 12. Actually funny is the wrong word there, but anyway. All the poster spots are filled already on the SU boards. guess everyone's competitive spirit is coming out since all the elections are contested.

Some good posters there, some okay ones and one or two simply odd ones...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Get yourself a lighter and a can of lighter fluid and do a Beavis on the posters........

Fire..... FIRE.... Heh-heh.... FIRE..... heh-heh.....FIRE...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

vote for me!

down with such and such.....

thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

your running?

Burn, baby, burn
    Disco Inferno!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

What do people think of the posters? Do you actually pay attention to them?

• Advertisement

i think i'm required to say : O donal's ones r just supppperr :P
    (really i've yet to see/notice any...tho ain't really been looking tbh)

VOTE FOR NIALL for ents....

his posters are a hommage to back to the future fans everywhere.....

also vote for stargal other half, i cant remember his name, nice guy tho....

I said i'd vote for him, for some reason.... not sure what he's running for, (vice president?) but vote for him! also....

and vote for me also.... ( yes, i know i'm not running, but if any of them are RON results, i'll stand.!

Joe

also vote for stargal other half,<More crap here>
    well that was a great if not entirely pointless post..

Do a spanish inquisition on them all..........

HERETICS!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

stargal wrote:
    What do people think of the posters? Do you actually pay attention to them?

They were better back in my day /sigh and much bigger. These ones are a little small and anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Heh, myself and shane were lazy, we didnt bother coming in at midnight and instead got donal and denise to put up theirs for us :) tbh i think the poster things a tad bit obsessive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Just saw Ed Reilly's manifesto there... my God does that man want to be President.

Oddly enough two of the Deputy President candidates have pictures of themselves helping elderly women along the street in their manifestos... what are the odds?

Dead Pig's manifesto is spectacular.

Think almost all of the five races are wide open at the moment, it's v interesting (if you like nerdy insular student politics)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

haha, McGoldrick is a fecking legend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

I have to say I'm feeling very included in these voting shenanigans altogether :) Us D'Olier St folk had candidates in to speak to us there, oh and also in St.James's, but we're voting in D'Olier st I think. :confused:

But the thing is I don't really know who to vote for still. We only had a few ppl in to talk to us, not even someone for each category if you know what I mean. Some of them have approached us in the buttery or whatever tho. So, anyone wanna gimme the low down on who not to vote for?

As someone said earlier, about the guy helping the old lady across bottom of grafton st... thats the only thing thats stuck in my head!! Or the guy who has an "agony uncle" page on back of his leaflet! I dont even know who else is running? :confused:

Chick wrote:
    I have to say I'm feeling very included in these voting shenanigans altogether :) Us D'Olier St folk had candidates in to speak to us there, oh and also in St.James's, but we're voting in D'Olier st I think. :confused:

But the thing is I don't really know who to vote for still. We only had a few ppl in to talk to us, not even someone for each category if you know what I mean. Some of them have approached us in the buttery or whatever tho. So, anyone wanna gimme the low down on who not to vote for?

As someone said earlier, about the guy helping the old lady across bottom of grafton st... thats the only thing thats stuck in my head!! Or the guy who has an "agony uncle" page on back of his leaflet! I dont even know who else is running? :confused:

Must...resist...canvassing...GAH!

Nah seriously, have a looksee at the manifestos lying around and compare what the candidates wrote with their class addresses etc.

And there's info on the candidates on/from this page, as well as hustings/voting times.

Yeah the whole old lady fetish is a bit strange. Can't decide which one I like more, The Patriot's manifesto or The Deputy's manifesto.

And last bit of spamming for a bit, jebus these boards were quiet over the past week, what gives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

stargal wrote:
    Just saw Ed Reilly's manifesto there... my God does that man want to be President.

Oddly enough two of the Deputy President candidates have pictures of themselves helping elderly women along the street in their manifestos... what are the odds?

Dead Pig's manifesto is spectacular.

Think almost all of the five races are wide open at the moment, it's v interesting (if you like nerdy insular student politics)

Ed reilly is an insane tosser. Comes off as such a prick it's unbelievable. There are like four/five people going for deputy president, not two.

Crash Shanes doing quiet poorly on hte home front from what I can tell. That said, apperently he had a good speach today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Chick wrote:

You're first year right? Then AFAIK you're in D'Olier St. on Wednesday, so you vote then (9am-3pm, probably beside the security desk on the main floor).

Voting's also in Tallaght on Monday and James's on Tuesday, or in Trinity (Hamilton for nurses, as part of health sciences) on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to propose almost doubling the voting hours this year (from 21 to 35) and for some equally unfathomable reason I was agreed with.

Oops.

Incidentally this will be the first time we're properly polling in D'Olier St., as the building was only opening this time last year...although we did run one election (for first year class reps) back at the start of November.

/me coughs

*CDS*

/me coughs

as some of you may have seen me already walking around in a niall hughes t-shirt, you can guess i'm voting for him.

and after speaking to educat in su shop/front square/house 6/ cant remember,
    if i dont even see the candidette's....

why should i vote?

remember.... Niall is the future..... (apparently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Not this time, unfortunately... (all CDS students can vote in Arts Block, and there are two evening slots, so hopefully that will give you a chance):

Tue 6-9
    Wed 12-9
    Thu 9-6

I would actually like there to be hustings in Drumcondra, subject to space and sign, of course! Something that should certainly be done next year. This is the first year with class reps (although the elections weren't contested).

The ever-increasing Trinity footprint ;-)

There was a guy who ran for Provost a few years ago - a wonderfully eccentric CS lecturer, Mícheál Mac an Airchinnigh, who had this idea of a set of campuses scattered across the city. He drew a picture of it on the back of his manifesto too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Maybe you might fill me in on this one Daithi, Lorna Jennings clogging up my college inbox
    Dear Declan,

As you may know the elections for the students union are taking place this Tuesday, Wednesday and all day Thursday. It is vital that the Union has a strong mandate in order for it to exercise its job of representing your interests. For this reason it is important that you use your vote, and you use your vote well.

I am running for education officer because I have seen that the union can work for us, the students. With ability and determination we can fight for policies that we deserve; policies that are practical, cost effective and aim to change those things that irritate us everyday. I am serious about this position and if my experience on the education committee has taught me one thing, it is that by strengthening the channels of communication between the students, the union and the administration we can push our voice across and get things done!

Your vote will give me the chance to work for you.
    Remember to vote Jennings number 1 for Education
    Lorna Jennings
    Followed by a photo (that I may or may not use later;) ). Anway, I was under the impression this sort of spammage was frowned upon within the su?

By the way, good job on the lunchtime hostings on fri in the JCR. I (uncharacteristically) enjoyed it. I was up the front sittin on the shoppin trolly booin ed reilly :p Anybody else thinks he talks like ali-g?

Chick wrote:

As a general rule, candidates who do not know Health Sciences exists and is nearly 1/4 of college and thus do not show up for class addresses PRIOR to election will take little or no interest at all in our faculty once elected.

Therefore boycott all candidates who have made no effort to talk to you in the faculty buildings and choose between the ones who did. Tell that to all your class.

This is a harsh statement, but one I know of from long experience as a part of the Faculty of Health Sciences.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Maybe you might fill me in on this one Daithi, Lorna Jennings clogging up my college inbox Followed by a photo (that I may or may not use later;) ). Anway, I was under the impression this sort of spammage was frowned upon within the su?

By the way, good job on the lunchtime hostings on fri in the JCR. I (uncharacteristically) enjoyed it. I was up the front sittin on the shoppin trolly booin ed reilly :p Anybody else thinks he talks like ali-g?

This is a big no-no under electoral commission rules........

Ed Reilly's from London and speaks Cockney so of course he sounds like Ali-G!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Okay well I'm probably voting for Andrew Payne, Niall Hughes, Thomas Lowth and Denise O'Connell. Still undecided about president.

I'm actually really disappointed with the choices for President. I really thought there'd be a better selection. Pity neither Daithí nor Ruth ran, they'd get my vote. Anyone wish to share their opinions (as opposed to advertising a candidate)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

EduCat wrote:
    You're first year right? Then AFAIK you're in D'Olier St. on Wednesday, so you vote then (9am-3pm, probably beside the security desk on the main floor)
    cool thanks :)

by the way can people run again for a second year no?just wondering!

oh and agent, what is cds?

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Maybe you might fill me in on this one Daithi, Lorna Jennings clogging up my college inbox Followed by a photo (that I may or may not use later;) ). Anway, I was under the impression this sort of spammage was frowned upon within the su?

Yeah funnily enough I didn't get that in my inbox. I've had a good laugh at some of the replies that she's been getting though! (cc'd)

Myth wrote:
    Yeah funnily enough I didn't get that in my inbox. I've had a good laugh at some of the replies that she's been getting though! (cc'd)

Post them on the message board and we will share the humour! (delete the names to keep them anonymous!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I got that email from Jennings too

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

i keep getting those kinda emails and its sure annoying me...they keep asking me what the most popular lectures are so they can speak to my lovely class.... stupid me being a class rep... :rolleyes:
    anyhoo i still dont totally know who im voting for...theres some people i havent even seen a poster for yet...think im not gonna vote for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't know why I'm getting emails, I'm not a class rep.

Advertisement