Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellet burner

Options
  • 09-12-2004 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard or does anyone use a wood pellet system for heating their home? Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Using Multi Fuel/Wood burning Stove which burns pellets, if that's of any use.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

they did a piece on "About The House" this week on wood pellet burners. Apparently a fraction of the costs of oil or gas to run. Not sure if the show is repeated on the weekend though.

I found these links that should get you started..

http://www.rte.ie/tv/ecoeye/2004/prog6/woodenergy.html
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/aboutthehouse/series4/13itemb.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mark0

I am also thinking of using wood pellet boiler....From what I hear they are good and use a renewable energy source...I am keen to not use fossil fuels...I am planning to use Ground Source Heat Pump to heat the UFH (UFH pipes already laid).......thinking of using wood pellet boiler for the hot water.
    Not really sure what would be best.......could I get hot water from the Ground Source Heat Pump as wall as heating the UFH.

Some links I found....http://www.greenheat.ie/
    http://www.nps.ie/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Mark,

Heat pumps will work fine for hot water heating. Various methods depending on systems being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I asked a salesman in Ganleys in Athlone about the Wood Pellet burners on Saturday .

He didn't know much about them and said the systems could only be got in the North , the pellets too.

Mentioned that he had heard they produce some amount of energy compared to conventional methods .

25-30% more than oil boliers.

But as I said he didn't knwo an awful lot .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Everyone,

I happen to know there is an outlet opening in Dunboyne for Pellet Stoves and fuel, the new plant for manufacturing Pellet fuel should be up and running by February 2005.

The quality stoves operate at 80% efficiency, as opposed to open fires being 20% effecient.

Fuel costs will be approximatley 30% cheaper than gas or oil, with the higher effeciency built in the numbers are closer to 50%.

Yes I'm getting one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

I am also going to get a wood pellet boiler,
    I wanted to get a viable alternative to oil central heating, most alternatives I researched were in my opinion, not viable.
    Wood pellet heating makes very good financial sense.
    SEI have a cost comparison on their web site of oil versus wood pellet, the numbers add up favourably whatever way you look at it.

Information is hard to get on the wood pellet boilers that are presently on the market. (got one brochure from an irish supplier that was in dutch with no translation).

I heard from a friend last week that Galway Gas @ Briar Hill Business Park supplied Wood Pellet Stove's & Boilers.

I went along Sat afternoon with my fiance , met a nice guy there who talked us through the operation of the Pellet Stove which they had up and running there.

We told him we would probably be interested in the Pellet Boiler and he showed us one of those , although not in operation we were both very impressed and at this stage we are probably sold on the idea.

They are being supplied by a company in Dublin (Celtic Flame) and the bolier is and Enviro EF Thermo.

He told us that a tonne of pellets should do us for a year at a cost of circa 250 yo-yo's.

He also mentioned that a new pellet manufacturing plant has been set up in Enniskillen.

Hi,

If you are not in a hurry I know the Dunbboyne outlet will be carrying three different manufacturers products, it might be worth the wait.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley,

www.crawleyandsons.com

• Advertisement

Pete ,
    I'm in no hurry at all. We're waiting for PP so we have at least 2/3 months before considering such things.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

I too am interested in in stalling a Pellet Stove or a Pellet Boiler.
    To look at some types you can look up
    www.greenheat.com
    www.froeling.com
    www.rika.at
    The Austrians seem to have developed a good standard of stoves and boilers.
    All initial problems seem to have been ironed out by experience/ usage over the years.
    On the FROLING site there is a boiler called the PELLETHERM P2 this one is useful as you can burn split logs in it in an emergency..

BALCAS (BALlyCASsidy Sawmills) are producing a massive amount of pellets close to Enniskillen.
    Galtee fuels are also importing pellets

BALCAS

That's the name of the company I was told about alright. Seems they are producing massive amounts for export but will also have Pellets for local customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

I saw a pellet stove in action in the RDS and there was a phenominal amount of heat out of it for the amount of pellets it was burning.
    Does anyone know if you could replace your existing oil burner and if so
    what would this cost.

Of course you can , that's what alot of people are doing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Sorry about this in a rush. Kust read this off the bulletin board

Here is probably the best site for energy in Ireland.
    Energy Engineering is becoming huge and there is great savings in it

SEI search on Wood Pellt

Also attached a list companies that supply boilers/stoves.......

Have more info if you want

Nukem

Hi Pollyantic,

You can replace your oil boiler or link the pellet boiler into it, that leaves you the option of two fuels.

The cost depends on the output you need from your boiler, a stove with boiler combined will cost in the order of €3700-00, the boiler in a garage should be less because you are not getting the fancy finish.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Was talking to someone who is getting one and a good point was have a place to keep the pellets dry. The moisture of the pellets will effect the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

I was quoted €8000 for a boiler to heat a 2500ft/2 house, I would love to hear other prices and compare, it was for a 'Twin Heat' boiler, it looks great but is the price right.

I was quoted 3,500 yo-yo's for the EF Thermo boiler and as we are buidling our house it shouldn't any more to install than an oil system . Our house will be 2100 square ft and the boiler will heat up to 17 radiators.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have seen these alright but never seen one in action. I am big into getting the house running as efficent as possible (or as cheap ;) )!
    That seems like a good price 3.5k euro,
    Only 250 euro for the year to run the house on pellets, that seems excellent, are you sure that is the right price.
    So you are talking about 3.5k to install, then 250 euro for a years supply of pellets.]
    I presume it will give u sufficent heat for ur UFH??? what about domestic??

Is there servicing on these guys???
    How are the fired up (Firelighters?? )
    Are there ashes?
    Not really sure what would be best.......could I get hot water from the Ground Source Heat Pump as wall as heating the UFH.

You can alright, you need a "domestic water kit" installed with the heat pump though

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

yop wrote:
    How are the fired up (Firelighters?? )
    This I always wondered about. Obviously if those costings are right it seems excellent, however could you have a timed ignition as per oil? Too late for me, but still interested for future reference...

Hi,

€250.00 per year doesn't sound quiet right I'm all for a good system but the supplier should at least be honest with the estimated fuel use, the average unit will use 1 tonne of pellets to your average fill of oil.

Very few houses over 1500 sq feet will use less than three fills a year and that would be for a very well insulated house, the real difference is the cost difference between oil and pellet fuel and the efficiency.

The SEI are bringing in standards for suppliers of the units, they must have an after sales service, they must have an in house service department and the unit must be approved.

Some units were bought on the internet and are not performing as they should, because some of the manufacturers are trying to serve all fuels like corn as well as pellet fuel, also parts are very difficult to get for some imported units.

Admittedly they don't need many parts as they are simple enough in the way they work but like all heating appliances the do need servicing.

The good units are fired up using built in starters similar to piezzo starters for gas boilers, the amount of ash is so small that the ash pan doesn't need to be emptied very often, the ash is pure fertiliser and can be spread on the garden so no waste.

Like any boiler you need to check the output, 17 radiators sounds a lot of heating power is needed probably close on 140,000 btu's for comfort.

Pete ,
    I was and still am sceptical about the 250 a year load too. He said a tonne of pellets should do the year. I can't recall what size the bag of pellets was but think it was either 10/15 kg and priced @ 5 yo-yo's. Using them figures :

10kg a Bag @ €5 - 1 tonne (Years Supply ) = €500

15kg A Bag @ €5 - 1 tonne (Years Supply) = €333.33

I think you'll find most salesmen tend to exagerate.

Here's some of the feature's of the Boiler we were looking at :

EF-Thermo Water Boiler Stove

Silent Running Mode operation
    50kg Hopper
    27 kWh (92,000 BTU) Total Output
    24.6 kWh (75,000 BTU) Water Heating Output
    2.4 kWh (7,000 BTU) Room Heating Output
    Over 90% efficient
    Weight 145kg
    Pressure and Water temp. gauges next to controls
    Built in pump and expansion tank (8 litre)
    In and out water pipes ¾”
    Optional wall thermostat
    Measurements: 90cm x 50cm x 50cm

Enviro pellet stoves offer clean efficient heat at the flick of a switch. The EF-Thermo model incorporates a built-in boiler allowing for simple connection to a radiator system to provide heat and hot water.

It is the most powerful built-in boiler pellet stove available on the market today at a fraction of the cost of lower powered models from other manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SoreHead

Ok, Let me try to answer some of your questions and concerns.

The wood pellets are currently being imported from Europe and previously Canada by 4 companies in Ireland. Balcas have run into delays but should commence production next month. I would expect usable pellets bagged in a couple of months after that. The quoted price is €150 per tonne loose bulk delivered with another €20 or so for bagged. I'm not sure if this is ex-VAT. If it is the rate is 13.5%.

2 tonnes of pellets is roughly equivelant to 1000 litres of oil. At current prices that is €500 for pellets compared to around €550 for oil. When Balcas are up and running the savings will start properly. The price they quote is quaranteed for 5 years.

You can run a pellet boiler alone or in conjunction with another system. The only requirement is that you have a minimum of 0.5bar in the system as they are closed system (pressurised system) boilers.

The 17 radiators quote came from a number of plumbers that use the simple calculation of 5000btu per rad. The EF-Thermo is 95,000btu. It has been removed now and states 1500-2000sqft house which seems to be the norm to allow for bad quality pellets which will affect heat.

There are systems available ranging in price from €3,400 to around the €10,000 mark for small domestic and the style has little bearing on the price. The cheapest I've seen are the EF-Thermo sold by Celtic Flame and the boiler sold by Green Heat. The Green Heat one is a 10kW model and the EF-Thermo is 25kW to the water. The Green Heat one looks very nice too which is a plus and that's also to show I'm not biased towards the EF-Thermo (even though I'm the importer).

Pat O'Sullivan is the main man in there and very nice too. He is one of the other importers of pellets also and one of the first to do so in Ireland for demonstration purposes. He's one of the biggest importers of fuel (coal etc) in the country and has long been saying pellets are the future and even put his money where his mouth is. For information, I believe he brings in 8mm pellets, we bring in 6mm. These are the 2 most common domestic sizes.

Another good importer and good guy is Rudiger Trautmann (is that how it's spelt?) in Solar Energy Ireland in Sligo. He does the Kuntzil (definitely not how it's spelt) boilers in the €6-7k range. He's a good hands-on man and can give good advice on solar/underfloor also.

To be honest, from experience, Irish people are a couple of years away from being ready for the boilers. The stoves are very straight forward and they have flown out but the boilers are so new that they get blamed for everything if there's a problem. I've called to 7 boilers that we supposedly not working and all but one was a plumbing issue or something to do with a house thermostat/control system :mad: but noone will believe you until you go down and prove it. Not sure about you lot but I don't have that sort of time on my hands. :D

The cheapest way to buy the pellets is directly from the importer.

Hopefully that will have answered most of your questions. If not we'll be at the homes show in Kilkenny on the 25,26,27 Feb and will have a number of models there (not the leggy blond type though). Also, our retailers around the country have them working and reference sites too. I believe Pat also has a couple of models up and running for demo although I'm not sure if he's doing any shows in the near future. Give him a call and ask and tell him I'm singing his praises.

Feel free to contact me for more info. general or otherwise. I will give you full and honest opinions on the technology or products available and will never knock anyone elses product. If I don't know I'll tell you.

Great post SoreHead, very informative thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

Sorehead, do you have details of show in Kilkenny - whereabouts etc

Thanks for information

The show is in the Kilkenny Arena 25,26 & 27
    I'm not sure where that is but I'm supposed to be getting free tickets as part of the stand package so if anyone wants one you can email me directly or give me an address on here and I'll send them on.

info@celticflame.ie for emails

Not sure what stand we're on but it's not that big an arena so should be easy to find us.

See you there.

Got the tickets for the Kilkenny show so anyone that wants some let me know asap so that they reach you before next week. 25,26,27th in the Kilkenny arena.

Our site is Celtic Flame by the way. You can see some of the types of pellet stoves available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

Balcas quoted 150 Euro per tonne for pellets. I think the minimum bulk delivery will be 2 tonnes.

I am seriously considering installing a wood pellet stove in a new house. What about storage and delivery into the boiler. I have heard a silo is the best option. Does anyone know about the technical end of the silo feeder?

Advertisement